Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Weird characters in text.

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by CalebMingle, Jan 15, 2008.

1. CalebMingle

CalebMingle New Member

It only happens to a couple of people on my contact list when they text me. The text message seems to be scrambled and characters removed.

For example:

i|Clumsy|i
    "

Comes out as:

lliCus! in the text message.

I have no clue why, anyone have any insight? Maybe it is the |'s in the signature of that person.

Carrier: Verizon
    Phone: LG VX6100

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    The ¡ and the vertical line symbol are special characters and count for more than one character each from what I can tell. If the signature got cut off, then the special characters took up extra character count.

If the sender is on a different carrier, the special characters will usually not show at all (or have other characters substituted for it).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CalebMingle

CalebMingle New Member

It happens to all messages, and she is on Verizon, maybe it is her signature.

I just thought of that when I posted it, I will ask her to change it and see if it works.

Thanks! :)

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Are you able to create these characters on your LG VX6100? The symbols are usually located in the 'symbols' submenu (where you change the entry mode using the soft key) when you are composing a text message.

Perhaps the phone only supports some of the characters like the ¡....

....or the message was too long or like you said it' could be something your buddy made up :confused:

It's been a while since I used a LG phone, so please accept my apologies if the messaging procedures I stated are wrong.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 QLR, Jan 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  5. CalebMingle

CalebMingle New Member

No, I cannot create these characters on my phone. I asked her to change it and it seems to work fine now.

I guess these problems are on my end, and it was the signature on her and, and my phone not being able to handle these characters.