Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Web Browsing Time/Cost

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Richiegoes, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Richiegoes

Richiegoes New Member

I spent about 45 minutes last weekend demo-ing (not $downloading$) a bunch of ring tunes through "Get It Now". I purchased free weekends & evenings. Yesterday I looked at my current bill on verizonwireless.com to see how many of the few minutes I used up and noticed that my bill was about $20 higher then the cost of my basic plan.

Whaaaaa?

So now I've come to an understanding that "Get It Now" costs some additional charge (???)

1) Is this true? Is there a pay-per-use charge or pay-per-minute charge for Get It Now that is not covered under the *voice* minutes? After all, I'm surfing Get It Now to buy stuff. Am I paying to shop?
    2) As far as verizon service charges are concerned is Get It Now the same as browsing any old WAP?
    3) The free web browsing instructions on other threads, does that not account for basic web browsing? Is there yet *another* fee for surfing through the default Verizon portal? A fee that is in addition to using up *surfing* air time? Do the free-surfing instructions just bypass a costly Verizon wap?

2. Oppie

Oppie Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-9400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    For GIN there is no cost (other than using of your airtime minutes pursuant to your plan). I go to GIB after 9:00 or on weeks so as not to squander my minutes. There are costs associated with all of the application. I have not demo'd any ringers, but as long you demo them and not download them you should have no additional monetary charge. There are per use charges for ringers (I think) be sure you actually demo'd them. For Web browsing, there is a $4.99 fee per month for "offical use". I'm still trying to get it for free. Either way, when you connect, you will burn minutes (again based upon your plan) but not incur any monetary charge.

Oppie.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HawksRCool

HawksRCool New Member

Why is this "surf the net for free" such a hot topic. Mobile web is only $5 a month. If we didn't get charged for airtime or if there was a performance increase, I'd understand it. Is there something I'm missing out on?

As far as GIN, I'm not aware of any hidden costs, just Airtime and the cost of the application. It will cost to download a ringer(s), but that's all a part of GAGIN.

4. rallykid

rallykid New house = No free time

My Phone:
    LG 9700
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint
    DId you pay for your phone up front? The extra $20 might be equipment charges for the phone if they are billing you monthly for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. yaworski

yaworski Junior Member

It could be that Verizon just screwed up your billing. It happens. I just upgraded phone and calling plan and my last bill was $30 more than usual. Turns out I was being charged for minutes that should have been free. Give customer service a call.

As for "why worry about free web surfing"? Why pay when you can get it for free? There's nothing illegal or immoral about it. I can find other uses fo $5 and the little I use "Mobil Web" makes it silly to pay for it.

I followed the directions at http://www.rogerbinns.com/vx4400/vx4400faq.html and had few problems. The biggest problem was that the first gateway that they recommended is down.

6. ibestylin

ibestylin Member

so what gateway are you using? because i've been trying WAP tunnel, and i just can't get it to work?