Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Weak Signal

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by rich6880, May 25, 2004.

1. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have made several posts seeking help with the weak signal on my 4400B, from my home. A signal weaker than with my other two phones. Everyone has been very helpful, giving me advice and ideas. I have found that, holding the phone in such a position, that the mic is right by my mouth, forces the antenna to hand parallel to my shoulder and the ground, I seem to pick up at least on signal bar, sometimes 2. Since, I started my new technique, I did not have to end a call due to voice breake up or choppiness. Maybe, this is a temporary solution, but it seems to work. I would appreciate it if ofters with signal problems, dropped calls, or break up, would give this a try, and report the results.

Oh yes, another thing I do, before I dial, with the antenna parallel to the floor, I find the direction with the strongest signal. In my home, N could be 1 bar E 3 W w and S 4 or 5, a big difference. I also notice that the best position varies during the day.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. CWick

CWick Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Before I started using my external antenna, I found using an ear piece helped a lot. I figured not having my big head blocking the antenna was the reason... ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You know, CWick, I read a post (maybe by you), that the phone should be held away from the ear, so that the head (body) does not absorb any of the signal. I think to some extent that is true, but holding the antenna parallel to the floor seems to improve the signal near or away from the body.

#3 rich6880, May 25, 2004
    Last edited: May 25, 2004
  4. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    you also need to consider the way the building or home in which you are in affect the way your phone performs, so what may work in one place may not work in the other...just a thought.

5. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    EM waves are directional/angular. like TonyE says, mabye your buliding is polarizing the signal. does the signal get better when your outside in teh open?

6. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Stupiud, there is a tower less than 3 miles from my house, within 400 feet of my house there is a very poor signal. It fluctuates between 1 and 4 bars, fluctuations are rapid. As soon as I am 400 feet from my house, I get a signal almost a consistent full strength.

7. CWick

CWick Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    L6, V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Our house is near the top of a hill, but actually below where the closest tower is. As you travel down the hill, the signal gets even worse, unusable....glad I don't live a the bottom. Lots of factors I guess.

8. SKYNFAN

SKYNFAN Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    From what I've been told, Microwave signals travel in a straight line, but naturally spread out over distance. So if you live next to a tower, and the tower is 200 feet above you...
    I believe this is also why many people, no matter what provider you are with, lose signals in low spots, unless there is a tower down there.
    If I'm way off, someone help me also.

Karl

9. Norsk.Viking

Norsk.Viking New Member

My Phone:
    AudioVox PPC6601
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Microwave signals incur what's called an "earth bulge" effect - they do follow the contours of the earth to some extent. Being below the tower in altitude is not usually an issue - having an obstruction blocking line of sight is more of an issue. However, many of today's digital phones utilize a rake receiver. Such receivers process reflections and signals traveling different paths by correcting for the time differences and adding the signals together to improve the relative signal strength. So they're a bit more tolerant of areas where Line-of-Sight signals are severely faded. But then again, the technology isn't perfect and there are always a few holes. I hope this helps.

10. SNSE

SNSE Senior Member

There is a funny thing about radiation patterns coming off of cell sites. You can be right in front of one, but depending on whether or not the panels are downtilted, and how much, it does not radiate equally. There are distinct "patterns" on every type of antenna, and depending on how close, what position, and the antenna pattern, it is very possible to be right in front of a cell site, but not have a full signal. Any number of combinations of these factors could be contributing to the problem. Now, that being said, if you have another phone on the same carrier that does not have the same problem in the exact same spot, then it is a phone issue. Also, if the phone shows 1X on the display, do a "Menu, 0, 000000, then 3, and force the phone into P_REV_4 and see if the signal improves. If it does, then it is absolutely a cell site boundary problem in the carrier's switch.

Hope this helps.