Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Weak Signal inside house - Need a boost

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by mtn-bike, Jul 21, 2007.

1. Maximum Signal

Maximum Signal Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon , Sprint , Millenicom
    Re: Why Engineers Universally Prefer Wilson

The Cyfre amplifiers are just alot friendlier to the Cellular networks because of the patented software driven amplification. The carriers are not happy with alot of those sub par amplifiers screwing up the networks. The Carriers are the ones raising cane with the FCC . The FCC is going to act on these units messing with the networks.. The FCC is actually going to treat some of these units as jammers. Here is a quick article on that .

CrunchGear » Archive » CTIA/FCC could outlaw cellular repeaters AKA “jammers”

I find it very interesting that Wilson has gone so far as hiring a lobbyist . Sounds like the old cellular amplification is going to get some serious scrutiny from the FCC Not all of us are RF enginneers . But some of us learn everything we can from qualified and respected engineers and keep trying to learn as much as we can.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. shango

shango Junior Member

My Phone:
    M800, v266, w315
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel

Yes, all of that may be true and fact, but, keep this in mind. Lets say a truck driver buys a Wilson amp and has it installed in his rig. He has a digital only phone and parks for the night at a stop that there happens to be a tower located at.
    Mr trucker doesn’t know anything about distortion, splatter, spurs, feedback or any of the tech stuff. He has been told that the amp will improve service and he buys it.
    So what? The tower disables his phone and he doesn’t know why. OR he doesn’t even notice the phone has been disabled at all.
    We are talking Joe Public here. Even most people with rf experience have no clue how digital cellular works. That’s because the past has always been more power is better. This is not the case with digital. Period.
    Yes, the Wilson amp dominates when it comes to power. It puts out 1 watt more than the Cyfree, great for analog. But who cares, analog has less than a month left in most places.

I am mr rural, I travel all over the back roads of the most rural parts of the west. And I can only think of 4 places where I needed an amp to place a call using a digital signal. My choice is a good antenna. Any RF Tech will tell you Antenna is Everything. A crappy antenna is like $5 speakers on a $50,000 sound system. And, with digital, 90% of the time I hit the towers access window before I ever run out of power.
    I do have an IFR spectrum analyzer and know how to read test mode on my phones. But for the average user who wants an amp I would recommend the Cyfree.
    Now, if it was someone out in the boonies who needed an analog connection and their provider was going to keep analog going for awhile...Wilson

3. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I have installed a few repeaters over the years and the last one I did was a smart amp (cant remember brand)

The amp will cut back power or turn itself off if it interferes with the tower.

Shangos sounds like it locked up and basically makes his phone useless due to over mod.

4. RadioEngineer

RadioEngineer Junior Member

My Phone:
    Razor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    Re: Why Engineers Prefer Wilson

Sorry for the delayed response as I was investigating this issue. I suspect this unit is from a very early production run.
    I have been working closely with Wilson to solve your issue and we have discovered some of the early production runs may have had an issue that could be causing this amp to shut down when it is operated in blanketing RF fields, such as right under a tower. This occasional and rare issue was caused by an overly aggressive protection circuit and has been fixed with an improved protection circuit which allows for continuing smooth uninterrupted operation in this unusual situation. The original circuit, designed for rural use far from towers, saw this excessive signal level as potential feedback and acted to protect the carrier and other users.
    I personally am glad that Wilson is so conservative with protection circuits. I would rather have an amp shut down when improperly installed then keep see it cooking away with a feedback oscillation making it useless and into an unintentional jammer.
    If your amp is not Revision [Rev] C, please send it to me or directly to Wilson, referencing Signal Bars R Us, and it will be promptly exchanged.
    Bill Signal Bars R Us

5. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's

what kinda phones are still found in circulation that can have a antenna hooked to them? where would i get the wiring or adapters to do this? can it be a standard antenna similar to a CB antenna or what?

just curious.

e.

6. RadioEngineer

My Phone:
    Razor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT

Many modern phones have an SMB connector. The primary purpose of the connector is for factory test of the phone, but it can be employed by the end user for a direct connection to an antenna or amplified antenna.
    Bill Signal Bars R Us

7. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Did anyone notice that the person who originated this post is long gone?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. RadioEngineer

My Phone:
    Razor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT
    Threads get like this. Someone sparks a conversation and it continues on without them further joining in the conversation.
    I do learn a lot from people randomly posting here and I don't really care where the conversation wonders as long as it is civil and we are still learning from each other.
    Bill Signal Bars R Us

9. Eric47

Eric47 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    crackberry's
    yea thats true. but this thread is still interesting.

10. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):

Bill - This is a very misleading statement. SMB is not a connection used on any handsets . There are actually over 100 different RF connecters sold by Wilson and Cyfre that connect to over 700 different cell phones.Some phones do have questionable connections that are used for testing purposes but the majority do have very well made connections specifically designed so the end user can use other equipment to improve thier signal.
    No I am not an RF engineer but I do try to pass on what knowledge I have to assist the members of these forums. And if I do not have an answer I will ask one of the many Cellular RF engineers I have access to , to get the proper answer . So please I would appreciate if you ceased with your back handed insults. I do not want this to get into some kind of interent pissing match . That is a waste of valuable bandwidth. Just would appreciate it if you did not come here talking other members down when they try to help others. And by the way my name is Gord not Maxi.

11. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    Can you two piss in private please? We all know both of you have been around the industry since before it was created and you know all the VPs at all the companies.

When you guys have factual information it's great and very helpful but the self bragging, constant promoting of your respective companies and bickering between you two ... eh

12. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    No problem with that . That was my point.

13. RadioEngineer

My Phone:
    Razor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT

Gord, my friend-
    I have no interest in a prolonged argument, but you are just plain incorrect here. My Razar has an SMB connector as do many other handsets. Wilson refers to the adaptor for the Razar as a "back plug" on their adaptor page. http://wilsonelectronics.com/Files/AdapterGuide/Guide.pdf That is a generic SMA connector that predates any cell handset.
    If you are confused as to what connector I am referring to, here is a quote from Amphenol's web page
    I buy these as industrial parts for my design work and I assure you they are the standard test connector for handsets internally. Here is a very informative page about the SMB type connector http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/CatalogPages/smb_catalog.pdf
    I come here to teach, not argue. I do not post anything unless I am firm in my factual information and I have the credentials to know truth from hype.
    Bill Signal Bars R Us

14. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T

I hope the OP got his answer lol.

15. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):

If you check out this site

SMB Connectors

If the facts are as you state are correct. Why does a simple search of SMB not return any RF adapter that appears to be the same as the one used by motorola phones. . The connecters you refer to appear to be very well made for industrial solutions but do not seem to be used by the actual cell phone manufacturers in thier units . Probably a cost and size issue . Too Bad they do look like a great components . Again I am not engineer so I do my best to give people a simple solution in a language they can understand .I have been at this a number of years and do have a good general knowledge of cellular reception and signal amplification. I do not claim to be a teacher . I feel most people here are not looking to be lectured . They are just looking for the easiest quickest and cost efficient solution possible.
    Bill - You are very inteligent and you are a valuable contributor to these forums but that does not mean other members contributions are not valuable as well.

Have a great Day

16. RadioEngineer

My Phone:
    Razor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT

Yes Gord, very good; the site you show is yet another SMB connector.
    SMB is just a generic designation for the 5 mm dia connectors found on handsets, The cell vendors simply do not refer to the connectors they sell as SMB by name. I do so out of old habit. Nevertheless this is a common antenna connector for handsets, no matter what one calls it and it's proper name is an SMB connector. I prefer to use the proper and standardized nomenclature and terminology over brand names for clarity and precision when writing for the record.
    I believe that a bit of technical discipline in one's writing for forums makes them more valuable as a resource to people comming here seeking help.
    Bill About Signal Bars R Us

17. WPSANTENNAS-MATT

WPSANTENNAS-MATT New Member

I have been following this thread and have to side with Maximum Signal on this issue.

Bill

I think you should refrain from making statements like “my RAZR has an SMB connector as do many other handsets” for the simple reason that:

• This is a forum for wireless phones not in depth technical descriptions that travel over most people’s heads.
    • Placing a statement pairing a phone or modem to a named connector and not to an RF adapter retail part number (which is most beneficial to most readers) is only going to cause greater confusion as to the correct RF adapter for a specific device.

If a unsuspecting person was to come upon this thread in search of an RF adapter for his or her RAZR the first thing they would likely do is search for an SMB adapter pigtail to connect to their existing antenna.

If you feel the need to include more detailed technical information about a specific item please do us all a favor and list the retail RF adapter part number as an example of the type of connector that you are referencing so not to confuse people who are just looking for basic compatibility support.

18. RadioEngineer

My Phone:
    Razor
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT

Thanks for your input Mat. I firmly disagree.
    My statement stands. My goal is pedagogical and not commercial on this thread.
    The connector's correct name is SMB. If you wish to provide information to an end user about a specific adapter cable to SMB for a particular phone by brand name and accessory model number. please feel free.
    My intent is to instruct readers as to the proper generic name of the connector.
    We all set the level of discourse we find comfortable. Be my guest as to recommending specific products.
    Bill Signal Bars R Us

19. powrby4d

powrby4d New Member

As a user of these products, I'd have to agree with RadioEngineer.

I have found it very frustrating when all I can find is a reseller part number for the application which does not clearly state the the technical specs for the connectors, when it is just as easy to describe the type of connectors between which the product adapts in clear and accurate terms in addition to the known application(s) for which the product is suited.

Maybe I'm a rarity, but I prefer to understand exactly what it is that I'm buying.

20. uriel

uriel New Member

Shyam Telecom KSHB-DCS 1800MHz Cell Phone Signal Booster - 250 sq m coverage, its cost is £345.00 it is better checkout this.

21. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    1800 does not do anyone in North America any good.

22. mtn-bike

mtn-bike New Member

My Phone:
    Moto v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW.....Rrrrrrr
    I'm still around but I can't believe where this went..............now I'm REALLY confused......sounding like I should start with a good YAGI unboosted (direct connect) and only add power if needed. Since it's a static installation I shouldn't have to worry about needing to change the boost level (or shutting it off) whe I get near a tower.

Is 1900 the digital spectrum...?? Do I need Dual band for digital and EVDO or will the 800 unit do it?

THANKS!!

23. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Verizon uses 800MHz and 1900MHz. Both are digital, and you may hear 1900MHz is referred to as PCS and 800MHz referred to as Cellular. In some areas Verizon is on just one band, some areas they use both. I think Verizon uses mostly 800MHz in your area but there is a chance they have 1900MHz as well so it would be wise to check. You will probably end up with a dual band amplifier if you need an amp. Get the highest gain dual band Omni or Yagi you can find, and start with that, then you can worry about the amp if that is needed.

24. barry zuckerkorn

barry zuckerkorn New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Blackjack II
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Are the products being discussed here something different from a passive antennae?

25. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Yes. This thread is discussing hard wired antennas and amplifiers.

26. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    In my experience, I have never seen a passive antenna work.
    This is an area where you are better off just spending the money and getting a good product.

If you have had different experience I would be interested.

27. blueeyeleo

blueeyeleo New Member

28. Maximum Signal

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just make sure whoever you buy from has a return policy in case whatever unit you purchase does not meet your needs or expectations. That is the key . Lots of Sellers out there stating products do things they just don't do

29. Bill Clinton

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Just so you know, that repeater won't work very well unless you have fairly good coverage where you mount the donor antenna. If you have fair-strong signal where you mount the donor antenna and you just have poor signal inside, you should be alright, but that unit does a poor job if the outside signal is weak to begin with.

30. mtn-bike

mtn-bike New Member

My Phone:
    Moto v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW.....Rrrrrrr
    Soooo, what's the best arrangement for a weak(er) 1 bar signal outside the house?