Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Weak Signal: Do signal boosters actually work?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jsensen, May 4, 2004.

1. jsensen

jsensen New Member

I work in Plymouth Meeting, PA and my Sprint phone is all but useless. I am stuck in a two year agreement (1year to go) w/ sprint and it would cost $300 to cancel. Do signal boosters actually work or are they just another gimmick? If they work are there any suggestions for good ones?
    If anyone has any other alternate solutions, I am open to suggestions.
    I have a Samsung N400.
    Please help!

2. siliconvalley785

My Phone:
    E62, BlackJack, L6, V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Signal boosters use the passive radiation that your body absorbs and retransmits it to your cell phone, but the problem is that if there is no signal n the area, there's nothing to absorb. My suggestion is to port out and go to another provider, but be sure to thoroughly research the provider's coverage in Plymouth Meeting. I'm not sure about the coverage there, because I live in Newtown. Take every carrier out for a test run, and see what happens.

Pritesh

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Boosters that are Powered & require external antennas work, such as those from Wilson Electronics.
    These, however, will cost you more than your early cancel fee.
    If you have a useable/near useable signal when standing on the roof of your home, a Gain antenna mounted up there as high as possible, with a coax cable running into your phone (with the proper adaptor), may be a somewhat less expensive alternative. Check Wilson's website for details.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. scohen

scohen Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
  5. Jerseyphoneguy

Jerseyphoneguy Junior Member

The signal boosters you see on eBay selling for 1-cent do absolutely nothing.

6. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ecxept make some people a lot of money for nothing.

7. dtownfb

dtownfb Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto E815
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
  8. Critic

Critic The Digital Ruler

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I don't. I have a VZW phone and get lousy coverage when I travel through the Plymouth Meeting/Consohoken area. The last time I drove through there was when I drove to Texas (via many intermediate stops) - when I checked my phone by the Mid-County interchange, I had maybe 1 bar.

9. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    Well put! I would try an external antenna, if you have no signal you are probably sol, if you have one bar, it could really help.

10. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The cheap boosters are worthelss. Every respected source agrees with this and furthermore, if cell reception could be increased by a cheaply made component, don't you think the cell manufacturers would include them with the phone?

11. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    active signal boosters work like a charm if you want to spend the money for the equipment. but bear in mind that the equipment u get now, maybe useless for your next phone/service provider if you ever decied to change.

passive bosters are worth squat. theoretically, they are supposed to boost signal gain by using the right hand rules in EM physics, but there is no way to ensure the frequency of the resulting induced EM field from the 'booster' is actaully of the right frequency, and even if it was, it would not carry any singal but would just be noise taht would mess up your phone's reception.....

12. jsensen

jsensen New Member

UPDATE:
    Cancelled my contract with Sprint (ate the $150 early termination fee) and signed 2 year contract w/ Verizon. Reception is much better than Sprint! I guess you get what you pay for.

I just read in another post that Verizon is coming out with new plans on 5/10/04 w/ a lot more anytime minutes. Did I just shoot myself in the foot? What are the differences in the new rate plans.

13. scohen

scohen Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think you can switch between any rate plans. At least within your group, like from one America's Choice plan to another one. Wait till the new ones kick in and then call CS and say you want to switch. Especially if its within your 15 day trial... then if they give you hard time, threaten to leave and they may switch you right away.

14. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I recently drove thru plymouth meeting,pa (2) weeks ago and i had no trouble at all. I was on the phone talking for about (20) minutes. I had full signal strength on my samsung A620. I've heard that the samsung N400 is not a good phone at all,and most people will have alot of trouble with it. Sprint is second to verizon wireless as far as having very good coverage.

15. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    well put

16. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Correct, the N400 is a terrible phone as far as reception is concerned. Some work great, but it seems to have more problems than not.

Good luck with Verizon.