Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

water-damage phone

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by lint, Oct 30, 2002.

1. lint

lint New Member

Just yesterday i had accidentally dropped my 8890 nokia phone into a pot of water(i was over the sink). It was really quick,i pulled it out immediately and dried it down. It was working after i had dropped it but now it doenst work. It does turn on but it asks me to insert sim card when the sim card is already in there. I know the problem is water damage but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to help save my phone...thaaaanks!

2. jmccrane

jmccrane Bronze Senior Member

Might be a classic case of corrosion. If you know anyone who is (or if you yourself are) a technician, you can examine the thing to look for any physical signs. Corrosion is basically irreperable though. When I worked for RadioShack, our repair centers wouldn't even try to fix that; they'd just send the phone back unrepaired (without charging for the repair, obviously).

3. tech1029

tech1029 New Member

Whenever you get any electronics wet the very first thing you should do is remove any power source!! If it is plain water you should open it up and carefully dry as much as you can then dry it with a blow dryer and reassemble. If is is a liquid other the water ie: toilet, coffee, ect you should open it up and rinse it with plain water to remove any corrosive liquid then follow the instructions from the start. I was a radio guy for a few years at a sewer department and I recovered a few pagers and cellphones this way. The most important thing is to let it dry for a few days before applying any power to it. If it is still wet when power is applied you can short things out.

4. dallison

dallison Senior Member

if the sim card gets wet, it will most likely be destroyed. if the fon dries out it may work but somefeatures may act up

5. braindead500

braindead500 Member

I don't think that it would be corrosion because It happened directly after they dropped the phone.

6. ckkptw

ckkptw New Member

Instead of cleaning again with plain water, I would try a solution called Computer Bath, it's like rubbing alcohol it drys better than water and causes less corrosion.

7. Smithers02

Smithers02 New Member

id put phone insurance on the phone while it is still working. hopefully the insurance will kick in by the time the phone craps out if it does

8. BoxaPhones

BoxaPhones New Member

I thought I was the only one to "submerge" a phone. Dont chat one the phone over the toilet...BTW. Dropped my Star Tac in about 2 years ago...Let it dry...and has worked just fine.

9. DA

DA New Member

10. Wildman

Wildman New Member

I CAN FIX IT. EMAIL ME AT KOUEIS@HOTMAIL. GUARANTEED TO WORK

11. scorpio20

scorpio20 Junior Member

once phones are dropped in water..it's gone. i dropped mine.

12. Vinch

Vinch Junior Member

not always..
    i've dropped my 7610 on a running water when i was running on the rain [​IMG] and stil worked afterwards... my luck was that the battery felt off and i didn't turn it on after i did the hair dryer procedure..
    it is always the first thing to come to my mind whenever an electronic falls in the water [​IMG]

13. linnaeus14

linnaeus14 New Member