Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Watch out for used Sprint phones.

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by eliteinnova, Nov 10, 2007.

1. eliteinnova

eliteinnova New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A640
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This is a warning for those who plan to buy used Sprint cell phones from auction web sites like eBay. This week I purchased two cell phones from eBay.

Item: Sanyo Katana 6600: Only used for 3 months. $86.00 (Texas)

Item: Moto RAZR V3M: Only used for 5 months. $96.00 (Miami, Florida)

Both items are in excellent condition. When I tried to activate them, Sprint reports that the ESN for the Katana has an outstanding balance of $1900. I contacted the previous owner and the lady claims that she has a receipt of cancelleation and she paid $500 when she cancelled. She faxed the documents to Sprint. Still problem not solved.

Razr seller according to Sprint his account is suspended and has a current balance. Also Same problem. Both units can't be activated no matter what. I have check on other customers with the same problem when the buy used cell phones. According to previous user this Razr was cancelled.

I don't know who to trust since this month my Sprint bill came high because on October 4th they said that I activated new services and features for my cell phone which is a Samsung A640 but the funny thing is that I never requested anything and they don't even have the name of the person who activated the services or the customer service rep who activated the features since they told me that this features where requested by phone. Incredible as it sounds there is some fraud going on. People watch out. If some is trying to sell you a used phone or new phone always request the ESN or DEC number. Once you have it call Sprint to verify the status of the ESN if they have and outstanding balance or delinquent fees. Do not trust anyone no matter what.

I am a Sprint customer for years but honestly I am very dissapointed.

2. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    This is very good advice. I know the same thing is true for other CDMA carriers like Alltel. Stolen phones is another reason to get the ESN prior to bidding on an item. Carriers won't activate a phone reported as stolen on their networks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i know that many eBay power sellers will give you the ESNs upon request......sometimes they even have the ESN right on the listing.........make sure also that you check the feedback of the person you are buying from.........that says a lot

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Not just a sprint issue. I've had the same thing happen to me with VZW phones.

Final lesson: Beware of Ebay phones.

5. Imajika

Imajika New Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If you have the ESN number of the phone you want to buy, you can call Sprint customer care or tech support and they will let you know if the ESN is 'clear' (meaning, not listed as stolen, no outstanding balance, etc.). Hope this helps!

6. eliteinnova

eliteinnova New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A640
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Just to make clear, the sellers from eBay where I got this phones had 100% of Feed Back. Thats why I trusted them but still look what happened. Best way to prevent this is like mentioned on the previous replies:

1. Request the ESN or DEC number.

2. Contact the CDMA Carrier (Sprint, Verizon, Alltel, Etc)

3. Ask customer service if the ESN or DEC is clear. (Not stolen, no outstanding balances, no suspension, etc.)

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well then that's understandable.............well make sure to leave negative feedback for the next buyer who comes along.............some powersellers will also mention on the item listings if the ESN has been checked so you can look for that marker too...........

8. eliteinnova

eliteinnova New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A640
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Today one of the sellers contacted me about one of the phones and she is going to refund my money. Well thats what she said. The other seller probably moved to Jupiter. :rolleyes:

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Whenever I sell a phone on eBay, I always will give the ESN out to the winning bidder before they send payment, they just need to ask.

10. eliteinnova

eliteinnova New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A640
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If anyone is going thru the same thing, I would recommend the following actions:

Step 1

1. Contact an eBay agent thru Live Chat.
    2. Report the problem.
    3. Send an email thru the eBay complaint center.

Step 2

1. Contact Pay Pal (402) 935-2050 <Mon - Fri 4am - 10pm pst> <Sat & Sun 6am - 8pm pst>
    2. Report the problem.
    3. Agent will send you the instruction to your e-mail in order to file a complaint.
    4. Wait for a veridict from Pay Pal in order to know if you qualify for a full refund.*

* Most refund are a max of $200. If the user has a long time selling on eBay and has good ratings and feedbacks you may qualify for a refund of a maximum of $2,000. This is why Pay Pal recommends to buy from older sellers with more experience and great feed backs and great ratings so that way your coverage is higher in case of buying items that are worth over $ 200 - $2,000.

11. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    that sounds good to me but if you're lucky you wont even run into this problem in the first place.....

but i really think that eliteinnova has a procedure down that can be very effective.........you inform all the right people and the problem gets taken care of at multiple "stations"

12. hypersnail

hypersnail New Member

Although not quite as structured, and with much less variety, I like Craigslist for buying/selling phones. The more personal experience reduces the fraud factor quite a bit. Plus, since it's all local, you can usually have the seller meet you at a Sprint store where they'll do the service transfer for you and you can ensure the phone's good before handing over the cash.

13. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I totally agree. I sold a BlackBerry on Craigslist. We met at a Sprint store so he could acticate it right away and know it was a legit transaction.

14. txchick1971

txchick1971 New Member

even if you ask for esn in ebay they can pull a switch when you actually get it.............i don't buy phones on ebay.....if i find one on craigslist i request a meeting at a sprint store to check it, period!!! just my $0.02

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not to mention that even if they give you the correct ESN on ebay, there is also nothing to stop someone from reporting the phone as stolen after they give you the ESN but before they mail it.

Just another reason that face to face transactions like craigslist are a lot safer.