Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Want to access the internet....

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by GiGi1977, Jul 26, 2008.

1. GiGi1977

GiGi1977 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel (NEW!)
    What does it cost to access the internet from your phone? Do you need a plan for it and if so how much are they? We have the unlimited text messaging plan but were interested in finding out about accessing the internet! Does it take away from your airtime or can you access it after 7 pm or weekends and it not delete from your minutes? Never done it so I'm interested in knowing the pros and cons!
    Thanks!

2. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    There is a $25 feature that will allow unlimited tethering. You can connect without the feature but it uses minutes. If you only need occasional use, being charged minutes is fine. If you plan on using it regularly, it is better to add the feature and not have to worry about it. You can add it yourself in My Account.

3. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

I don't know if tethering is what they were talking about. Many folks confuse the Mobile Web on their handset with the "internet". If that is the case here, accessing it counts the same as a phone call would - but data can eat up minutes MUCH faster.

4. GiGi1977

GiGi1977 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel (NEW!)
    Okay maybe it's called Mobile web! lol I want to view websites on my phone....what do I need to do that and is their a plan for this or does it just eat up your minutes? Also, nights and weekends when you have unlimited minutes...does it pull from those OR do they pull from your anytime minutes?
    Thanks!

5. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

It is just like making a phone call when you are NOT roaming. If your phone call would use minutes so would mobile web.

Now if you wanted tethering, you could tether and get decent download speeds if you have an EVDO capapble phone. But it would use your minutes and if Alltel figured it out they could charge extra.

6. GiGi1977

GiGi1977 New Member

My Phone:
    LG Scoop
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel (NEW!)
    So are you saying that the anytime minutes would be use or can I surf on the nights and weekends and it not eat up my anytime minutes? Sorry but I've never done this before so I want to make sure I don't mess it up! lol

7. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    Just think of your time using mobile web/internet as a phone call. If it's during anytime it takes up those minutes. If it is during your n/w then it is unlimited or whatever your night and weekend minutes are. Just like a phone call.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Do NOT confuse mobile web with the Internet. Most internet pages can't load properly on a cell phone screen, and those that due won't display properly. If you stick to the links within the mobile web you will be fine, but don't expect to be able to just type in the address of a regular web page on your handset and have it work.

9. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    Google has a fairly good web page converter for mobile phones that use WAP. If you want to view a standard web page, try entering this URL into your phone's browser:

http://www.google.com/gwt/n

It will prompt you for the web address, then convert the web page to a format that's viewable on your phone and download the page to your phone.

royc

10. music4praise

music4praise Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola W766
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Ting
    Or you can add the $10/month data feature and not worry about it. This feature is to cover data for Mobile Web, MMS, Axcess App use, etc. The $25 feature I mentioned in an earlier post is for connecting your phone to your laptop for Internet access.