Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VZW Coverage in Western NC

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by NJ_Pubcrawler, Sep 27, 2007.

1. NJ_Pubcrawler

NJ_Pubcrawler Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    I will be traveling to the extreme Western portions of North Carolina (specifically Maggie Valley, NC - ZIP is 28751) and was wondering if anyone can confirm how well my VZW phone will work in that area.

I am told this is a pretty remote mountain area of the state so I don't hold out high hopes of having coverage, but I just figured I would ask.

Thanks for any info.

2. djjim

djjim Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    I have Alltel but roam on Verizon when I go out there. It is pretty rough. I was at Cherokee and drove through Maggie Valley. Do not expect to hold a call very long. On the otherside of the coin, be thankful you are with a CDMA provider as most GSM phones are paperweights out there. I can't say I saw "No Service" displayed that often, but the service was not that good. Be prepared to be disappointed. I cam also roam on Sprint and USCC but I am pretty sure I was on Verizon 90% of the time. Service gets good once you get to Waynesville and move east towards Asheviille. Report back after the trip if you can.

3. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Will do! I am not going until the end of October but will definitely report back.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Take an outdoor magnet mount antenna with you to mount on your cars' roof if you can...that makes a HUGE difference in weak/fringe areas. I can't believe the difference my Wilson antenna is making...20 mile dead spots disappear with that thing plugged in...

5. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Here's another question: could I set up NAM2 on my phone (VZW VX8300) with either an Alltel or Sprint SID for that area to force extended network roaming while I am there? According to Sprint's site they have excellent coverage in the Maggie Valley area (if the site can be believed) so if I can force roaming on to Sprint to get coverage that would make things easier.

Anyone know an Alltel or Sprint SID that would work?

6. nKrypteD1

nKrypteD1 Software Architect

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Not sure about the SID but I can definetly verify to take an External Magnet Mount Antenna, it's imperative, I grew up a little further west from there, you'll be surprised how much range you get out of one of those antennas.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 6.12))

Alltel doesn't have a license for that area of WNC...or for pretty much any of WNC for that matter. The SPCS SID will be the one for Charlotte (4376 I think), but 1) without that SID in the PRL, your phone won't know what the appropriate ACQ for that SID will be so it probably will never be able to acquire it, 2) most VZW phones are quite particular about only connecting to systems in the PRL so that will probably involve some PRL hacking, and 3) that system has been out of the PRL since before 2003 at least, so if you start making calls off SPCS Charlotte, VZW will probably get really suspicious really quickly.

Besides that, if SPCS has good coverage there, VZW probably does. Maggie Valley is a pretty touristy area, so VZW will probably have good coverage there. The roads to or from Maggie Valley might be a different story.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. NJ_Pubcrawler

My Phone:
    LG VX8300
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Nextel
    Just a quick update to my original post: I spent this past weekend in Maggie Valley with some friends and had good coverage up and down the main street (Soco Road) and in the mountains where we stayed.

On a couple occasions I tried doing a quick *228 to see what system was handling my call and it seemed to be a mix of VZW and Alltel.

Once we drove outside of the main "tourist" area on Soco Road the signal dropped off a bit, and there were some spots with very little coverage at all, but overall it was not bad.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my original post for all of the info.

9. stockscalper

stockscalper Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S Blaze 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unfortunately, T-Horrible
    Verizon's coverage in western NC is strongest if you have a tri band phone, meaning a lot of their rural coverage is still analog. As far as Sprint's coverage map showing coverage in the western mountains they are including roaming on Verizon or US Cellular towers. Sprint has very few towers west of Asheville. AT&T has good coverage through the western part of the state too.

10. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Huh??? Every post I have ever read says At&t and GSM coverage is horrible out there??? :confused: Confused

11. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    Here's AT&T West of Asheville...

[​IMG]

It looks to me that the coverage could be greatly improved, especially west of the Waynesville / Canton area on Hwy 19.

Verizon is what I prefer west of Asheville.

My phone Even worked in the Smokey Mountains NP atop Newfound Gap
    right on the TN-NC state line at 5,000 feet (roamed on Verizon 139).

12. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Well, AT&T is better than SPCS and SunCom. :)

13. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    definitely for WNC ;)

Suncom doesn't go anywhere west of Waynesville.
    Sprint is mostly only along I-26 west of Asheville.