Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VZW contract ends -

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Oppie, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Oppie

Oppie Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-9400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    My VZW contract ends January 11th 2006. I am seriously looking to take my business elsewhere. One question i have is if i can take my VZW phone to Sprint. If I recall both are cdma networks, correct? I live in western WA so coverage here should be good. I do have questions about coverage in eastern WA and eastern OR. Does Sprint have agreements with other carriers for coverage in those areas? I was told that VZW can use Sprint towers but Sprint cannot use VZW. That seemed like an unusual agreement.

If any of you are former VZW users, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Oppie

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. WiggyFife

WiggyFife still knows nothing!!!

My Phone:
    Droid X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    TProphet, among others in your region could probably address this the best, but he's not here all that much, IIRC...

3. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Even though Sprint is also a CDMA carrier, they will not activate a non-Sprint branded phone on their network.

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oppie, I can only answer one of your question: You cannot activate your Verizon on Sprint.

HTH :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TProphet

TProphet I *am* a mobile phone

My Phone:
    Sanyo 7200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Cingular, Virgin Mobile Canada
    1. As others have pointed out, Sprint will only activate equipment they have issued. You would probably not want to use your VZW handset on Sprint even if you could, though. This is because Verizon handsets are not compatible with Sprint data services.

2. Both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA carriers. In western Washington, they offer similar coverage and voice quality.

3. Sprint has roaming agreements with US Cellular, Unicel, and Cingular in eastern Washington. In western Washington, they have roaming agreements with Verizon, US Cellular, and Cingular. The only weak spot for roaming is in the Palouse, where roaming is not available on Inland Cellular (although you can roam on Cingular). Just be sure to get a handset that supports analog roaming in order to take advantage of all the rural coverage.

4. As regards VZW/Sprint roaming, the reverse of what you were told is true in many areas (but not Washington state). Verizon tries very hard to lock their users out from roaming on Sprint in any cities where they have coverage of their own. Note that while Sprint has a nationwide roaming agreement with Verizon, for cost reasons they generally prefer to roam on other CDMA carriers if there is an alternative. This means you may find yourself roaming on Alltel in Phoenix or Cellular South in Biloxi. These are smaller but very capable providers with excellent networks in their respective service areas.

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I wasn't aware that Cingular operated any CDMA networks for sprint users to roam on, or is the Cingular roaming analog only?

-Jay

7. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    TProphet means analog roam with Cingular on the Cellular band 850 MHz

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Also note that Spint now prefers to roam on Cellular One in Bishop, CA (inyo/mono counties) over Verizon. This is good because Cell One (Alltel?)has the better network of the two in that area.

9. CellGeek

CellGeek Sprint is the BOMB!

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Does Cellular One use CDMA?

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Yes in this area they do. It is owned by Alltel.