Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VZN B.S. Activation policy

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by PADutchman, Aug 27, 2003.

1. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

To the Moderators: If this is out of line, I apologize. But it is what I experienced, and may be helpful to others.

I recently bought a used ST7868W from a common auction source, with the intent of activating it on VZN service. I contacted the local store, which I had dealt with in recent months. I had recently bought and activated a Samsung A310 (talk about lousy batteries!) for another line of service.
    Somewhat to my surprise, although oh so VZN like, the store was telling me they would only activate my "used" phone (customer supplied eqpmnt.) on pre-pay ! This is nuts. I had read on numerous occasions and from various sources, that activating customer supplied eqpmnt was not a problem.
    Cutting to the point,....I did not give up there, as I fealt this was likely a local store manager policy, and not VZN's I got through to VZN Reps. / Sales teams, at 1-800-256-4646
    I was pointed here from the main 800 # given on the VZN website.
    They advised that activating customer supplied eqpmnt., was fine, and implied that the store should have complied. This then lead me to a Rep. in my area at 1-866-745-4679 Ext.9405 at the Pittsburgh Center, Tina. After supplying Tina with handest's ESN, the phone was activated OTA, and working in a matter of minutes.
    I bought the 7868 because I greatly dislike the newer phones for basic functions, and I have a host of access. for StarTac fom prior phones. The price structure, and motivations of the store reps are clearly guided by Eqpmnt sold, in addition to contracts. If you want to buy and supply your own phone, the carrier should not fight you about activation. Why not? The phone pricing and upgrade policies stink, and are all geared at locking you into a 2 yr contract, which is simply too long for many people.
    Processes like these are partly what makes dealing with VZN so maddening. I can't wait til the GSM boys get their network out there. After all, I've got a 1 year contract.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC
    Sounds like some Verizon rep is misinformed. You can use ANY compatible CDMA tri-mode phone so long as it is not on someone else's account and can accept programming (PRL). In fact, most markets you can even do it online. I did when I was having issues with that piece of garbage LG I logged onto my account on VZserve and activated my old Nokia 5185i. Took about 2 minutes.

3. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    wish we could do that here

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    PAdutchman. based on your screen name, it sounds like you might be in my area. if so i will activate for you in the future. I am in the heart of PA Dutch country.

5. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Actually, if you are still on an NE plan, a dual band (or is that dual mode) phone is still acceptable to activate.

I just gave someone that was @ the VZW store some chargers (wall and kind you can charge the phone and extra battery), 4 batteries, and 2 Qualcomm 820 phones. That should last her a few more years...

She has a 820, the wall charger died. I unfortunately have a Sony 1300 (different battery molding - otherwise, same phone), so only my chargers were compatible with her phone. My other friends in NJ had their old 820s collecting dust in their basement[​IMG]

6. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Kranium: I am in York, PA It was frustrating, and I didn't know you could do that online.
    Now, however, it appears I have no voice mail, and no caller I D, so there remain issues.
    The Rep I delat with was scheduled off today, so the saga continues.

_____________________________________________________________________________

8/29/03

Problems solved. All is working. The big downer here is / was trying to deal with the local VZW store. Received satisfaction working with the Rep. in Warrendale / Pittsburgh directly.
    If your "supplying your own phone" I recommend it.
    Cingular is calling me back. When the GSM is built (adequately) they will come.

7. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    Oh, well then, I guess you are actually the one in the heart of PA Dutch country. I'm actually between Reading and Allentown. Sometimes Kutztown. Depends where the party's at. This is definately the place to come for answers to your cellular questions. I've learned a lot by coming here. Before all I really knew was the basics of cellular service. Now I have a better understanding of the different types of service and how they do and dont work together. Plus, it's fun wasting my day away reading posts from everyone.

8. Bitslap47

Bitslap47 Junior Member

Kranium:

I tried to email you, but it got bounced back. Your PM is off too.

9. Rasputin

Rasputin Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple Iphone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon
    Sometimes you get some people working at those stores who aren't qualified to clean toilets. They give the knowledgable people with Verizon a bad name. I end up driving to a store 25 miles away from me, because the local stores have some morons who I have to explain everything to them again and again.

Once you find a good store just stick with them.

10. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Yes. A good store, or Rep., that will work with you, is worth driving for if needed, or waiting on the phone if needed.
    I'm sure my encounter could have occured with any carrier.