Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

vx8350 weak Hinges, broken!

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Roamingdoc, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Roamingdoc

Roamingdoc New Member

My Phone:
    LG-VX8350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just an FYI - this phone has very weak hinges. After three months of regular use the 'right' hinge on my 8350 just snapped. I handle these things gently, have not dropped it, don't throw it. A google of VX8350 and hinge produces numerous similar complaints. I am hoping Verizon has had enough that they will 'replace' this... buyer beware! :(

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    FYI the build quality of LG phones varies greatly from model to model. I bought an LG phone a couple of years ago and returned it to the store 26 hours later because I couldn't stand the dropped calls.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Roamingdoc

Roamingdoc New Member

My Phone:
    LG-VX8350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Does anyone have an EXPERIENCE with Verizon and their replacement policy for such a failure so soon? It's been less than three months and I'm hoping I don't have to pay full price to replace what was a 'contract' phone deal??

4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Verizon will replace it with a refurbished phone without any charge to you. If you take it to a corporate store they will do it right then & there, also transfer your phonebook..

Any refurbished phone I have had from them has been in as good a condition as a new one.

Jay, CDMA LG's are really very good. I have had 3 of them on Verizon and had no complains. In my case they were superior to the Motorola, Samsung, and the Nokia I had from them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Roamingdoc

Roamingdoc New Member

My Phone:
    LG-VX8350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks Charlyee - it is a corporate store in Pasadena, CA. That is fine, refurbished, not a problem - but the hinge issue seems wide spread in this phone... and usually 'just' the right side. Hoping the replacement one lasts. Thanks

6. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    That's why I said the quality varies. Some of their phones are very good, and some are junk. They don't appear to have a uniform standard of quality that is applied to all their products.

-Jay

7. Roamingdoc

Roamingdoc New Member

My Phone:
    LG-VX8350
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Verizon replaced free of charge the 8350 - of note, the 'new' one does not exhibit the 'feedback' squawk that was predominant with the previous device. All in all a very satisfactory outcome and I applaud Verizon for recognizing (they said immediately, 'Ahhh, we're getting a lot of these back with this hinge broken') the issue and processing the replacement.
    Will be using earbud and not opening this puppy much.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Always good to hear of a "happy ending". It probably had a firmware upgrade, that is one of the advantages of a refurb, it typically has the latest firmware version.

I really like the way Veizon handles phones under warranty, switching it out then and there and allowing one to inspect the phone before agreeing to take it. I wish AT&T followed this system.

Thanks for the follow-up. :)

9. kranium007

kranium007 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The Network
    In the past week I had 4 customers with the same hinge problem.

10. drsingh

drsingh New Member

I had the similar problem…the first time right hinge broke within 3 months and now around 9 months later the replaced phone had the same problem…right hinge broke…I can say that I didn’t apply any force or dropped the phone. Fist time I was able to get free replacement, but I don’t know what will happen this time…can we apply customer rights…can we take some legal action?? But in the meantime how to solve it...Any thoughts?

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    You should be able to get a free replacement this time also. If Verizon has not changed anything recently then your replacement, however many times it is, is free within the first year and then a $50 charge for the duration of your contract. They have been known to waive the $50 depennding on your standing and circumstances, sometimes.

Hope this helps.

PS: If you have the same problem 3 times in a row then you can request a different phone of comparable value.

12. colowarrior

colowarrior Member

My Phone:
    LG - CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/ATT (Phone) & Clearwire (Internet)
    indeed... my LG CU500 i have had for a few years (still branded cingular) no problems.. i've dropped it tossed it, dropped it in a pond, pretty much abused it, and the thing just keeps working just like the day i bought it.

13. theshopper

theshopper New Member

I bough 4 of these phone from Verizon 18 months ago and three of the 4 have the broken hinges. Verizon refuses to repair or replace the phone as they state it is no longer on warranty. This is a known manufacturing defect with the phone. Since Verizon refuses to take responsibility I say goodbye to Verizon in December when my contract expires.