Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX8000 vs. Motorola V710

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Kal525, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Kal525

Kal525 New Member

Which one would you recommend? I currently own a VX4400 and although it's served its purpose it's starting to become arcane.

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    What do you expect from a phone?
    Do you want a tri-mode phone(v710) or a video capable phone that's all digital(vx 8000). Gamer will soon chime in and give you his review of the VX8000; I think most people like that phone, but you need to let us know what you want your phone to be able to do.
    ~Andy

3. Kal525

Kal525 New Member

I just want something that's the most intuitive to use. I've learned that after a month or two all the bells and whistles of my phone become less and less important. So I want something that will still be practical, reliable, and fun to use a year from now. I've read about the bluetooth on the v710 and it sounds great and all, but i've had my fare share of hacking the 4400 and i don't want the same trip to unlock bluetooth.

The 8000 looks slick, but my decision will be based on what interface is the smoothest and which is just a better phone all around. If that distinction can't be made then I'll just decide which one I like in my hand better at the store. Just thought I'd see what other people have to say first.

4. KenS

KenS Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V710+HS820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I'm not familiar with the VX8000, so I can't compare the two. But I've been using the V710 since August for both work and personal calls, so I think I can address the "practical, reliable, and fun" aspect.

The V710 looks fragile, and is compared to the Startac I used to own, but it's pretty solid. I dropped it onto asphalt once, from 2+ feet as I was getting out of my car, and it escaped with only a minor scuff and a dent on the ring around the camera lens. A 3' drop onto unpadded carpet at work cause the battery to spring out, and it was a little loose when I put it back, but it stayed in securely (I later traded that phone in for one with the fixed camera, but I used it for over a month after the battery episode with no problems).

I have big fingers, and was worried that the close-set buttons would be a problem, but I've never had a problem dialing a number (even when driving, something I try to avoid but have done; I should proably learn to use the voice recognition number dialing). The four-way selector for menus is a different story: I still mis-key on a regular basis when trying to push the raised center "select" button.

The menus are annoyingly complex to navigate, with important things hidden (if you ever need to re-set your lock code, the menu entry isn't visible but it is described in the paper manual) or merely hard to find (formatting a transflash card is available on a pop-up menu when viewing the card, but I had quite a time looking for it the first time I needed it). But you quickly learn where the typical things are, and can program short-cuts into the four-way selector (I have the menu with "check battery" there, as it's otherwise quite deep in the system). But in truth, you rarely need to use the menus, and typical things like "recent calls" (or "mute" when you're on a call) are hot-keys.

The phonebook, although annoyingly sp**** (I want to store street addresses and sometimes driving directions) is functional. I sync it (via USB) from my computer, and use it for the voice recognition name dialing. It works fine, and the name recognition dialing is far more useful (and accurate) than I would have expected.

The signal strength is good. Around metro Boston I keep the phone on my hip even while driving, using a bluetooth headset, and have had few problems with low signal even behind the metal car door. I do tend to be in good signal areas, but that's still better than my old Startac could do. I don't have as much experience in Analog areas, but I've used it a couple of times in Maine and it seems to work okay (as well as the Startac ever did) when all it can find is an analog signal.

The bluetooth headset is great. The HS820 itself could be better (it sometimes re-dials the last number when I turn it off) but it saved me from buying an in-car hands-free kit, which paid for the extra cost of the phone right there.

As far as fun, well I don't look for fun in a phone. The wallpaper feature is nice, but I don't use ringtones (I might if the wireless headset supported them, but it just beeps when a call comes in). I have the transflash card, and have taken a few pictures and moved them to my computer from it. The camera's bad enough that I don't use it regularly (but I have the old firmware and the new stuff is reported to improve things, so I'll try that soon).

The bluetooth (aside from the headset) is less useful than I'd hoped. No sync capability (still no support for the OBEX profile in the new firmware from what I've read) and the one time I tried to set it up as a modem I couldn't get it to work (which may have just been me, or perhaps I need to call Verizon support and get something turned on; it was supposed to work, but I'll admit I don't really need it so I haven't spent much time on it).

I find the web interface baffling (and I've built web servers so it's not like the technology is entirely unfamiliar), but it might make more sense if I used it more. I'll admit that browsing on a phone isn't my purpose for having one.

So, as a phone I find the V710 an improvement over my old Startac, and a solid performer. I'd have paid that much just for the wireless headset, so I don't feel cheated that some of the extras are less functional than I would have expected, but it would have been nice if VZW hadn't chosen to limit bluetooth, and if the camera actually was useful indoors.

On the other hand, if VZW hasn't gotten a clue in 18 months, I'm going to be shopping for a provider that doesn't cripple bluetooth.

Postscript: the word with four asterisks is a perfectly normal word meaning "spare" or "unpopulated". It happens to share the last four letters with a British term for rear-end, but I think someone's software is being overzealous.

5. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I love the phone.

It gets better reception (db wise) than our 7000 did.

Also, since there are two speakers on the front of the phone, so when I download MP3's and the phone.....the 8000 has great sound quality and clarity when it plays my favorite songs.

The speaker phone is awesome....however the lowest setting is still too high imo.

Since VCast isn't in my area yet, we opted not to have the two monts free....since we don't live in a VCast area.

The leather case is the best protective case I have ever owned.

I also like the camera quality on it....and I am able to force the phone to roam only, etc.....so that might come in handy this summer on our trip (whereas our Samsung VGA 1000 couldn't do that).

So Verizon is definitely the best carrier ever imo......much better than Sprint....

MrH182 posted a link to CNET's review.

Here it is: http://reviews.cnet.com/LG_VX8000/4505-6454_7-31264926.html?tag=bv

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think that if that's the case then maybe you should be looking for a phone with less "bells and whistles"..
    The models your are currently looking at now are far from that,
    Have you thought about maybe the LG 6100 or the Moto v625 or even the Samsung a670?
    they have less features but are great in the RF dept.
    You may also want to ask in the Motorola forum what users think about the v710 if you're really considering the v710 being that there are users there that might give you the pros and cons about the phone....Good luck and let us know what you went with..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. lildrummerboy

lildrummerboy Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samung 740
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon

In that case I would go 6100 or 670. And probably take the 6100 because of the driving mode. Sidenote, Tony how could you I thought you were a CDMA guy. What made you switch to Cingular? Don't tell me it was all for the razor.

8. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I'm still CDMA, i use Sprint... ;)
    I just got tired of waiting on Verizon to carry something different, and after the LG 6000 i really didn't find anything that did it for me, so in part yes i switched to GSM for the phone selection but not so much for the Razr because when i switched i got an awesome deal on the MOTO v600, free with ATT, then after a month i migrated to Cingular because i just had to have the Razr, who knows though i might be back, i like the Moto E815 that's coming up for Verizon and also the Sliding Moto is not to shabby...
    [​IMG]

9. stevn

stevn New Member

Hello my name is steven and i am also torn between the LG VX8000 and Motorola V710. I have never had a phone before, but i have been begging my mother to let me spend my hard earned money on whatever i want and she has finally agreed. Two of my friends both had the vx7000 and i decided taht i really liked the LG models and i was gonna get a VX8000, but my other friend who had the 7000 broke his and verizon sent him a v710. he told me about it and it sounded ephing badass. i thought i had to have one, but he said he liked his other one and he would of rather had the vx8000. i don't know which one to get. unlike the other dude i am interested in all the "bells and whistles." another conflict for me is that i can't find a place to get the vx8000 really cheap. i have seen places where you can get the v710 for free. please help out a dumb fool who has no clue what he is talking about!

10. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Welcome to WA stevn.

I would recommend the 8000 since I have one and I like your other friends had the 7000 but wanted a speaker phone and a much better camera, so I exchanged the 7 for the 8.

Here are some photos I took with my 8000 to show off the camera:

http://forums.wirelessadvisor.com/showthread.php?t=7255

Click on each photo to upload.

Other than that, I don't regret exchanging my 7000 for the 8000.

I also get better reception with the 8000 than I did with my 7000. ;)

Hopefully someone with the 710 can tell you there opinion.

11. stevn

stevn New Member

does anyone know where i can get an 8000 for relatively cheap? i mean something like below 150?

12. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ^ looks like a post that needs to go in the "marketplace forum"....

13. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    The person didn't even pay attention that this thread was on CDMA phones, not GSM.

Have you though about something a little cheaper for your first phone? Maybe the vx6100 or v265. Wouldn't want you to spend a lot and not like the phone. It takes a while before you find out what you really want in a phone.

14. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

well i guess it was moved to the proper place anyways...thanks. ;)

15. Sportsman

Sportsman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Razr V3i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon

I am a big LG fan, but what stopped me from getting the 8000 and why I got the 710 is the bluetooth. I know that the bluetooth is crippled but I love using it with my HS 820. Plus the 710 is smaller and better looking then the LG :D

16. stevn

stevn New Member

bluetooth really isn't a big deal for me.

17. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Agreed, love the bluetooth capabilities on my V600 and V3 with my HS850.

18. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have the v710 and recently purchased (but returned) the vx8000. I'm not as technically involved w/ my phones as most users on WA but can offer a few comments from my experience w/ both. I like both phones. I decided to return the vx8000 because I paid full retail and decided I really didn't "need it"! LOL..like I needed any of my gadgets. That said, I wonder if I should have kept it!!!

I didn't see any signal/clarity difference but the V710 is tri-mode; that may impact some folks. The moto menu has its own style...its intuitive sort of like the old HP rpn calculators were...really intuitive after a period of use; totally weird at first. My only use of bluetooth was to try the HS810 headset...took it back too because it was too flimsy in my ear and the mic rubbed my cheek. For the few times I need a headset, a wired headset works fine. Moto's user-independent voice recognition is excellent; I was disappointed that LG required "training" and wasn't satisfied with the result. The LG's camera was fantastic...moto's is lousy even after the software upgrade. I didn't live in a EVDO area so can't comment on Vcast.

I think you'll be happy w/ either as a phone. You may have to decide if bluetooth outweighs Vcast and camera. Or, you could wait to check out the Moto e815 or whatever is next.

19. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This may be more a matter of familiarity than intuitiveness. I find Windows system admin very intuitive, but I think it's because I've been playing around with every setting I can find since I was in middle school. When I switched from Kyocera to LG, I didn't find the menu confusing, but every time I try to mess with my sister's moto c343, it takes me a bit longer. If phone menus were very intuitive, they probably wouldn't sell anyway.

So you think the moto's voice recognition is pretty good. Does it let you call any of a contact's numbers or just limit you to the primary?

20. CaptainLoose

CaptainLoose Member

My Phone:
    RAZR2 v9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have found it to be very accurate. To use it you say "name dial"; if you have more than one phone number stored, it asks which one ("home", "work", "mobile", etc.). The only downside is you have to remember how you stored the name -e.g. first name only or full name, etc. I put my frequent contacts in as first names only. The nice thing is that it responds to anyone's voice w/o "training". When I tried to "train" the LG8000 w/ multiple numbers, it sometimes dialed the wrong number - maybe it will only work w/ the "primary number" (didn't keep it long enough to figure it out).

The main value for the V710 seems to be in handsfree mode and with a headset. I don't use it much because I'm so accustomed to my speed dial #'s and as a "retiree", I don't need a headset for work or driving like I used to.