Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX4400 -> VX4500 Upgrade

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by bonvivantmike, Aug 9, 2004.

1. bonvivantmike

bonvivantmike New Member

I recently dropped my workhorse VX4400, and now the sound quality in the earpiece is degraded. There is an audible vibration that wasn't there before.

I carry the insurance through Assurion, and they tell me they don't have any VX4400s, and would upgrade me to a VX4500. I would get a new home charger and car charger. But I also have a number of other accessories (spare batteries, travel charger, etc.) that I would still want to use.

My question is this: Does anyone know firsthand whether VX4400 chargers and batteries can be used on the VX4500? Also, how well does the VX4500 work in marginal areas? My wireless is my only phone, and reception is fairly spotty in my house. My VX4400 reverts to analog at times, but the VX4500 is digital only. Also (yes I know it was only supposed to be one question!) does Bitpm work on this phone? I have all my contacts backed up on my PC, and it would be very nice not to have to re-enter them all.

Thanks, everyone!

2. rich6880

rich6880 Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My home is in a marginal to poor signal area. I was not happy with the reception on my 4400; many voice break ups during calls. I have heard that the 4500's reception is not as good as the 4400. Be advised, I have never owned the 4500, just going by the comments of others.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. axvx8xoxr

axvx8xoxr Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I haven't heard enough about the 4500 to give you an honest opinion on its performance, but I do know that its batteries and such are not compatable with the 4400 phones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WillGayther

WillGayther Junior Member

My home is in a marginal to poor signal area as well, and I also had trouble with a lot of voice breakups during calls. However, since I've never owned the 4400, I can't actually compare the two. The only phone that got excellent reception in my house was the Nokia 3589i. Right now I own the LG vx3200, which is a "lower end" phone than the 4500, but it gets just-good-enough reception for me to use in my house, and I find the voice quality to be better than the nokia.

I've heard the 4400 sometimes goes into analog when it doesn't really need to.

If I were you, I would try to get an LG vx6000. It doesn't do analog (neither does the 4500), but if you aren't switching into analog anywhere outside your house, you probably don't need it. I have just about always heard good things about it's voice quality and reception. (I didn't get one because I always wanted a speakerphone, and the 3200 came with speakerphone and the ability to do analog - although it's missing any kind of games, and doesn't have internet access).

5. dglively

dglively Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6000 (his)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon; Formerly-AT&T TDMA
    My wife owns a 4500. We've traveled around most of norther California and parts of sothern Oregon. And, she's a picky networks engineer. She's been pretty satisfied with her phone.

6. axvx8xoxr

axvx8xoxr Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola Q
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Some of the early 4400's would do this unnecessarily, but this was addressed with a software upgrade.