Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX4400 --> S/W, PRL, ERI and Triangle Icon

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Dozer, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Dozer

Dozer New Member

VX4400 --> S/W, PRL, ERI and Triangle Icon

When I check the firmware version (Menu - 9 - 2 - S/W Version) on my VX4400 I get the following:

S/w Ver.
    TE4VZV06

PRL ver.
    PRL 50083

ERI ver.
    ERI 50018

Browser ver.
    4.1.26L

Get It Now ver.

My questions are:

1. What does PRL mean and what does it do?
    2. What does ERI mean and what does it do?
    3. Now that you know my version numbers... are there newer versions of [s/w], [PRL], and/or [ERI] out there?
    4. If yes what special *228 codes do I need to get them? (or maybe it can't be done over the network and I need to go to the VZW store?)

Thanks all you knowledgeable people out there,

JP

P.S.: Weird thing. I am sitting here in suburban Washington, DC with my VX4400
    with full bars and 1x icon on.
    --Details --> My phone is based in VT (802) and I have National Single Rate 400.
    Question: Do you see any reason why the triangle icon is dead solid right next to the 1x?

2. beaner

beaner New Member

well I can help a little.

#1-PRL=Preferred Roaming List, update this by calling the *228 option 2 before you head out traveling as it updates your phone with the most up to date roaming information.
    #2-dunno, I have this same question.
    #3-For the software version of your phone, I dont know what the latest is, but there could easily be an updated version. If there is a newer version Im sure someone out there knows and will post, or you can search the boards. If there is, you would need to take it in to a vzw store to have it updated as they would flash the new version directly to your phone.
    For the ERI...again dunno....for the PRL, try *228, if there is an updated PRL for your plan it will load it over the air. I would guess there is a newer PRL than 50083 since the Americas Choice PRL is up to 50096.
    #4-see #3 above.

Hope this helps a little.

3. Dozer

Dozer New Member

Oh that makes sense then.

Check it out: I haven't activated this new phone yet. So it has no idea what plan I'm on and what my home region should be, etc which explains the solid triangle despite being in a clear 1x area.

Does anyone out there think I am making a correct assumption? [​IMG]

4. stim00

stim00 New Member

When I had the VX4400 I changed the Select System option to Home only, and the phone stopped going to "extended network."

5. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Dozer, you are 100% correct. An Unactivated 4400 will say it's roaming all the time until activated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. x4400cowboy

x4400cowboy New Member

ERI=Enhanced Roaming Indicator
    It's the 'verizon wireless' banner that most people want to eliminate. If you don't have a banner, then you're one of the lucky ones (like me) ho don't have to hack their ERI to eliminate the offending graffiti...
    I think SW v06 is the newest but 07 is probably close to out.
    It's usually not worthwhile getting the latest & greatest unless it fixes an issue YOU have or gives you features you don't have and WILL use.

7. Dozer

Dozer New Member

Guys,

Thanks. I'm clear now. I activated the phone and I get strong 1x signal -no triangle now.

If I am still allowed to ask a question it would be this:
    How do I set my VX4400 to work on DIGITAL signal only (1x and/or "D" if that makes sense)?

Of course I'd like to know how to set it to both analog AND digital too for when I travel to the sticks in New England. This was really easy on my old Sprint PCS phone: There was a ROAMING menu choice and three choices: Sprint PCS, Analog Only, Automatic.

If anyone knows or has experience tweaking the VX4400 phone like this please let me know.

8. Alex

Alex Senior Member

To set the phone to digital Mode only:
    Go to menu, 0, 000000, then select "Force Mode" and Digital Only, Press OK.

9. MrH182

MrH182 Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX8000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Does forcing the phone to be digital only have any negative backlashes? I often find myself going into analog for no reason, then it going back to digital a minute later

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. RutRow

RutRow Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX6100 (trial)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Nope! None other than you won't get analog. [​IMG]

I had my 4400 set to digital only.... the need for analog is not an issue for me.

11. Dozer

Dozer New Member

Alex,

Thank you very much.
    That's where they hide that one... wonder why it's so stealth.

The problem is that there are way more choices than just [Digital].
    If you know what the difference is between all these Force Mode choices (below) I would really appreciate a quick reply (anyone? anyone?).

It seems that picking CDMA or PCS would give me DIGITAL ONLY but which one is the better choice?
    Is there a way to pick both and exclude analog?
    Which of these choices allows 1x (PCS or CDMA)? Both?
    What are these P_REV choices about?

So... Menu, 0, 000000, 3

[screen displays]
    Force Mode
    --------------
    1. Automatic (default) -->I'm clear on this
    2. Cell only ?
    3. PCS only ?
    4. CDMA only ?
    5. Analog only -->I'm clear on this
    6. P_REV 4 only ?
    7. P_REV 3 only ?

Curiosity killed the cat... I know.

12. Alex

Alex Senior Member

I would suggest leaving it on CDMA Only. The PCS only is limited. However, setting the phone to PCS only not guarantee to works all the time. (PRL and calling plan will overwrite that).
    Cell only will prevent from picking up the signal from the other carriers.
    I think, the P_Rev _3 is for the new digital phones only (Such as VX6000)
    The P_Rev_4 is for the later on enhancements.

13. Dozer

Dozer New Member

Very cool, Alex. Thank you. CDMA seems to work fine.

14. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Cell only=800 mhz digital or analog
    PCS=1900 PCS digital only
    CDMA=800 and 1900 digital only

15. Dozer

Dozer New Member

FatHEAD... Dude, that totally clears that one up. Thank you. I guess that's why CDMA is working great. They could have simplified life and labeled that choice "ALL DIGITAL" for us newbies.

Thanks everyone.

Doze

16. MrH182

MrH182 Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX8000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Ok...Im thinking about going to all digital...and CDMA is the best choice....but if i ever needed to go back to what it's orginally set at, what would i choose?

17. Dozer

Dozer New Member

I got this one! The first time you go to that screen to Force Mode it is already on AUTOMATIC. So if you'd want to switch back you just go MENU, 0, 000000 and then select the AUTOMATIC and you're back to the default factory setting.

VoilĂ .