Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX4400 confusion

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by OohOohMeNext, Apr 5, 2003.

1. OohOohMeNext

OohOohMeNext Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Quick questions:

What are the benefits of forcing the 4400 into digital mode?
    I read somewhere in the forum that you can do this, but that it might cause more dropped calls. Any experiences? good or bad?
    Also, if I do force it into digital, will I finally get a D on the display? Will it be functioning off a digital signal only, instead of a 1x?
    And, if notice that it makes everthing worse, is there a way to "unforce" the phone from digital mode?

Guys, I'm on my second vx-4400, and both phones have given nothing but echoes. I want to force the phone into digital mode to see if this helps. Am I wasting my time? Does it make any sense to do it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Forcing digital won't help because you are already in digital. 1x is just an "upgraded" type of digital service. If your 4400 is displaying the 1x symbol then your old StarTAC phone was using the 1x digital signal too, it just was too old to take advantage of the extra features (like fast data transmission) that come along with 1x. Forcing digital will simply prevent your phone from ever going into analog mode. This is beneficial if you live in a weak signal area and your phone switches between digital and analog a lot. Forcing digital would prevent the phone from switching back and forth. So I'm afraid that wouldn't do anything to solve your echo problems. If you aren't happy with the 4400 and you didn't like the v60i you might just want to shop around eBay for another StarTAC or try a completely different phone alltogether. I assume you are looking for a flip.

3. m1mgd00

m1mgd00 Member

1x is digital. It stands for CDMA 1xRTT, which is an upgrade to the CDMA technology Verizon orignally depolyed about 7 or 8 years ago. Your old Startac did not use 1xRTT, just plain vanilla CDMA (it is in VZW's interest to get people to switch phones to 1xRTT, because the technology uses the network more efficiently so they can squeeze more voice calls on the same amount of frequency). Sometimes, CDMA is called 2G technology (analog service being 1G or first generation), while 1xRTT is called 2.5G technology. Another rollout slated for next year or so is CDMA2000, which is also called 3G technology. I think again with 3G VZW can squeeze more calls into the same amount of frequency, plus you get even faster data speeds. But, again, you will need a new phone to take advantage of it. (It's a matter of which Qualcomm chipset the phone is using, Qualcomm being the inventors of CDMA and all its derivatives...or so they claim. They sue a lot of people over patent infringement. [​IMG] )

Som to answer your specific question, forcing your phone into digital mode will mean that you can't roam to an analog signal if that happens to be the stronger signal in your area (I'm also not sure if you would get charged extra for analog roaming on the America's Choice network or not. I thought America's Choice was just the digital network, but I've seen other folks on this forum give a different opinion). To force modes, press the menu button, then 0, then enter the service code (all 0's). You'll see something about Force Mode (option 3, I think), then the default is Automatic, but you can select CDMA Only to make sure your phone stays in a digital mode (FYI, forcing to CELL or PCS just sets the frequency the phone will use to connect to the network. CELL is 850 mhz and PCS is 1900 mhz, but 850 mhz can be analog or digital). If you decide you that CDMA Only mode doesn't help, you can follow the steps back to the Force Mode menu and set the phone back to Automatic.

As far as echoes go, you might try holding the mouth piece a little further from your mouth (like the speaker, the mouthpiece is pretty darn loud on the 4400). I've found this to help with the echoes. Then again, my Startac echoed as much as the 4400 (which is to say, sometimes, but not always), so maybe I'm just enjoying a placebo effect here. [​IMG]

4. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Analog does not cost any extra on the America's Choice plan provided you are on either Verizon analog service or an extended network partner's analog service (like ATT is some places). There are plenty of places where Verizon is still analog-only (I worked in one of these places last summer) though that will supposedly be changing soon. The difference between analog and digital as far as roaming is concerned doesn't matter at all. You can be charged roaming in digital service too, it just depends upon where you are trying to use your phone. That is why you need to pay attention to your little "roam triangle" if it appears on your phone! [​IMG]

5. Vyruz

Vyruz Junior Member

analog is 800 and not 850. so is cellular, and pcs is 1900....

6. m1mgd00

m1mgd00 Member

If I may clarify, cellular is a frequency, not a network technology (analog, CDMA, GSM, or any of the other alphabet soup of technologies the carriers have deployed over the years to offer wireless service would be network technologies). The cellular frequency range is 824.01 - 848.97 mhz transmitter / 869.01 - 893.97 mhz receiver. I've seen folks refer to cellular as 800 mhz and 850 mhz interchangeably.

PCS frequency is 1850 - 1920 mhz transmitter / 1930 - 1990 mhz receiver; generally, this is abbreviated as 1900 mhz, as Vyruz points out.

For more info, see Qualcomm's CDMA Faq.

7. PjayzcivicHd84

PjayzcivicHd84 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I just like not having it go into analog, plus, the phone tries harder to be in digital...and it also goes into extended network when it cant find digital...LOL verizon puts u in analog before you go into extended network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. OohOohMeNext

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Thanx so much all...I guess i just wonder if the phone will start dropping call left and right? I read that somewhere in the forums.

9. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It shouldn't, but who knows... lol...it's an LG after all.

I think I need to make that my new signature....

10. OohOohMeNext

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Nah Nah Nah!!!
    That should be reserved for deserving users (AKA "schmucks") like myself, thank you very much!!

11. PjayzcivicHd84

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    What they meant by the dropped calls wasn't all that true-They said that because they thought where we had analog we would get no service, hence no calls there.

12. OohOohMeNext

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Here's a stupid question: (enjoy [​IMG])

Is this weird forcing digital mode thing the same as going under menu-8-3-1 and setting the phone to "Home Only", instead of Automatic A or Automatic B? Or....actually I think that's only so it doesn't go into roaming, right? What the heck is the difference between Auto A and Auto B anyway?

13. PjayzcivicHd84

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Nope, those arent the same thing. Thats got something to do with roaming, but i know they are not related, and is best left alone. lol.
    Now, I could be wrong, but automatics a/b could be the difference in deciding whether u will go extended netowrk or not.

14. OohOohMeNext

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Hmmm?

Does anyone know the difference?[​IMG]

15. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Pjay is pretty much right. Home only will prevent you from ever roaming, but it won't necessarily prevent you from oin into analog. Auto A and Auto B are the systems the phone looks for. DOwn in FLA Auto B is the default, up here in Ohio it is Auto A. I wouldn't change the setting unless you want to avoid ever paying roaming, then you can switch it to "Home Only." Only problem with that is if you live in, say, Winter Haven, and Verizon uses a particular system ID there and you take a trip to Miami, the system might have a different ID. So your phone wouldn't work there, even though you could use it there without roaming. Unless you never plan on leaving your neighborhood, I wouldn't switch to Home Only unless you are prepared to switch it back every time you travel.

16. PjayzcivicHd84

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yeah i just leave it in automatic B. Works wherever i go.