Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX4400 Charging and the Sub LCD

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by sovereign, Sep 28, 2003.

1. sovereign

sovereign New Member

Is there a way to turn off the sub LCD when charging? Does the sub LCD stay on when charging with the car or travel chargers?

2. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    no, but you can change the color if you don't like that one.
    and yes, it stays on when connected to the car charger.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sovereign

sovereign New Member

So, if I want to throw my phone in the charger and let it charge overnight, or maybe leave it on trickle charge while going camping for a few days (so that it will be charged and show my missed calls when I return) the LCD is running the entire time. What is the expected life of the sub LCD? Just doesn't seem smart to leave the screen on the whole time???

4. MrH182

MrH182 Junior Member

My Phone:
    VX8000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I've wondered the same thing

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

LCDs can last a very long time. The one in my car stereo still works. I've been using the same radio for 12 years. Only the light bulbs burn out in the display.

The LCD in my watch has lasted more than 10 years as well...

LEDs might be a different story... [​IMG]

6. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    that's why you have the "sub lcd" to show that information, and you don't have to have the phone open all the time.

7. CrowFan

CrowFan Junior Member

Just by way of warning:

My 4400 battery just died after 6 months. I went to swap it out at my local Verizon store, and I was told by the rep in the Verizon store that I had "burned it out" by leaving it in the charger overnight (I did this all the time). He told me not to charge it for more than 4 hours at a time.

I realize that these things are debated like crazy, and I really have no idea whether he is right or not. I just thought I'd mention it.

Good luck

crow

PS. In my opinion, this feature (the outer LCD staying on while charging) is one of the dumbest designs I've ever seen.

8. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Tx Crow, that's good to know, we are told that these home chargers have a "chip" in there to prevent things like that, but you never know, but then again some 4400's have had some bugs in them, and that could have been it.

9. sovereign

sovereign New Member

I have to agree that this is the dumbest feature on this phone. Others include the base charger, which is nice, but you can't answer the phone while charging unless you want to interupt the charge cycle. I doubt that this smart charger system is "smart" enough to resume charging at the place it left off- I am betting that it begins the entire charging cycle again as that is the way most of these sysyems work. NO GOOD for the battery. These types of smart chargers are supposed to go to trickle and remain in trickle without damaging the battery. I have cordless drills, Niterider cycling lights, etc. and let them trickle for days. I thought the routine for charging cell phones was to hook them up at night and go to bed. I suppose if Verizon is correct, one needs to set their alarm for a 4hr wakeup call to unhook the phone from the charger?!? It is interesting that you can change the subLCD color but can't turn the damn thing off.

10. alebar1

alebar1 New Member

I just tried it with my phone, and I can answer calls with the phone being in the charger (kind of weird to hold the base to talk [​IMG]) Could it be the firmware version - I have 07??

11. apaxi

apaxi Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX4500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    sovereign and everyone else... The desktop charger AND the cell phone have IC's (chips) in them that detect the voltage level of our batteries and will break the electrical supply from the charger to the phone when a certain level is reached. The VZW tech that said charging overnight damaged your battery just blew smoke up your butt (meaning he was being stingy and had NO idea what he was talking about)... UNLESS your charger or phone was damaged and for some reason did not shut off when the voltage on the battery was high enough. If this was the case, your battery probably would have blown up, so that didn't happen. And when you interrupt your phone's charging "cycle" it WILL NOT do any damage, and will not "restart" its charging cycle. It will start charging until the battery reaches the voltage level that has been set by LG and will then cut off. Crowfan, batteries have a 1 yr. warranty so take that bad one back and demand a new one. While you are there, make sure they flash your phone's firmware to the latest version if you don't have it already [​IMG]

12. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    well put Apaxi.

13. Swordmasterblack

Swordmasterblack Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V505/v551/v3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/AT&T Wireless Verizon Wireless
    both of you are right.... the only way that should have bothered your battery would be if for some ungodly reason you don't have a li-ion battery.......... it well build up a memory, but not after 6 months..... and if it did they should still swap it out........ hell i've seen people swap out 6 year old star-tac batteries free of charge........