Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX4400 battery

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by CrowFan, Sep 25, 2003.

1. CrowFan

CrowFan Junior Member

Hey all,

My 4400 battery is starting to go. It will show one bar, I plug it in to charge it, and it immediately says "Charging Complete." It does not hold a charge any longer, even though it's only been 6 months that I've had the phone. A couple of questions:

-- I thought that Lithium Ion batteries didn't need to be conditioned, at least that's what the rep told me when I bought it. I didn't purposely condition the battery when I first got the phone. Is this why it's dead so quickly now?

-- In looking for a replacement battery, I've seen some on ebay for like 8 or 10 dollars (USD). Verizon store sells them for 40. Is there something about the ebay batteries that I should stay away from (i.e., are they bad quality or something), or is Verizon just wayyyy overcharging?

Thanks far any help

crow

2. YelloMunky

YelloMunky Old Fart

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I never buy batteries from Verizon. They always overcharge. I always buy them from eBay, but they're always OEM. I just bought a vx6000 battery for 20 off ebay, VZ is charging something like $40

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. CrowFan

CrowFan Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

On eBay, a number of the batteries that are being sold are extended batteries. Many of them say in the auction that they will not fit in the desktop charger and/or the holster-belt clip. Is this true of all extended batteries, or just the ones that aren't OEM? In other words, the extended OEM batteries do not have the same warning. Do these fit the desktop charger, or are they just not telling me about the fact that it doesn't fit? I would imagine that if it's OEM, it would fit the company's own desktop charger....

Thanks

crow

4. YelloMunky

YelloMunky Old Fart

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    The non-OEM batteries probably have more capacity, therefore it's bigger and won't fit into the desktop charger. From what people tell me on the forums, the non-OEM ones are usually crap, and can actually damage your phone (I have no idea how). I ALWAYS buy the OEM ones, even though they may have less capacity and usually cost a lot more.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. YelloMunky

YelloMunky Old Fart

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    BTW, I highly doubt your battery is dead because you didn't condition it. Whether or not lithium ion batteries need to be conditioned is debated mainly because you don't really see much of a difference whether you do or not.

6. tearsonurcheek

tearsonurcheek Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    U.S. Cellular
    conditioning does help...run it thru 3 charge/discharge-til-it-dies cycles when you first get it, then discharge-til-it-dies once a month or so...can't hurt, can it?...what a lithium ion does, or rather, doesn't do, compared to older battery technologies, is fall victim to the dreaded "memory effect"...as far as the replacement batteries go, oem does fit, many non-oem do not...oem standard is 950mAh, extended is 1500mAh, and Radio Shack carries it for about $45, verizon's website says $60, uscc's also says $60

Keep the Faith,

Lance

7. DeathRider

DeathRider Member

My Phone:
    LG Dare
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    http://www.dream-models.com/h/electrics-charging.html

8. healage

healage New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I had a similar problem with my vx-10. Take it down to Verizon becuase the phone is still under warranty, they will give you a brand new battery for free.

9. CrowFan

CrowFan Junior Member

All,

Thanks for the advice. I took the phone and battery to a local Verizon store, and they swapped the battery for free. At first I wasn't sure whether they actually swapped it or just told me they swapped it, but after a couple of days using it, it seems that they actually did swap it -- it's much better. The rep told me not to charge it for more than 4 hours at a time, as that will "burn it out."

I'm also glad they didn't notice the free WAP settings I had changed (forgot about that until after I handed it to the guy)!

crow