Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX4400 - Annoying bug found, anyone else seen this?

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Flyer00, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

I haven't seen anyone mention this, so I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only one experiencing it. But when someone leaves me a voicemail, and my phone is closed, the outer screen will display the usual message "1 new voice at...". If I'm near a land-based line, then I'll usually just check my messages from that since it doesn't cost you any minutes to do this. Then when I delete the message after listening to it, a few seconds later the outer screen will get all goofy. Instead of going back to the big clock, it displays a bunch of weird characters. The clock will not come back! The only way to get it back is to open the phone, press Ignore to the message prompt since the message is no longer there, and go back to the idle screen. Then the clock comes back on the outer screen.

I have software version 04. Can anyone see if you have this problem with your phone, regardless of what version you have? All you have to do is call your phone from a different phone and leave a VM. When you get the notification, keep your phone closed. Call back from the other phone, check your messages like you normally would, and delete the message. Watch to see what happens to the outer screen. Thanks!

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just tried it...

My screen didn't change after deleting the message. The voice mail icon disappeared, but the "1 new" text stayed where it was. I had to open the phone as you mentioned to clear it.

3. Tazdawg

Tazdawg New Member

I just gave it a try and every thing worked just like its suppose to. I have V05 could be phone or software
    does it happen every time?

4. Gigolo

Gigolo New Member

This is what happens on my phone. It will show the 1 voice msg on the outside and also a little envelope at the top. If I call and check my voice mails and delete them the envelope will dissapear and in about 10 seconds the '1 voice msg' will dissapear and be replaced by this very small box type icon and in about 10 seconds the whole display is normal.

Matt

5. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

Yes, it happens every time. When I delete the message, a few seconds later, the icon disappears from the outer screen and the text turns into a bunch of weird characters. What did yours do-- go back to the clock? Did it still prompt you to view or ignore the message when you opened it after you had deleted the message?

Thanks!

6. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

Gigolo-- when you say it's normal, do you mean it goes back to the clock? Today I let mine stay messaged up for about an hour. I noticed that every minute when I'm guessing the time would change, a different set of weird characters would appear on the screen. What version do you have?

7. Gigolo

Gigolo New Member

I8 just tried again and I did get the weird character stuff and I'm running version 05

Matt

8. Chase

Chase Junior Member

Version 06 also has a fix for that since that is tied to the messaging and how the phone updates the UI. Have it flashed to the latest version.

9. OohOohMeNext

OohOohMeNext Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Geez!!! How many friggin' versions are we gonna have to flash!??!?!!![​IMG]

I tried the experiment (twice) and it went like this: when I retrived the voicemail from my house phone, the little voicemail icon disappeared right away...then like five seconds later the top line of the message (1 voice) diappeared -- but the rest of the message on the LCD stays there (the time the voice message was received and the date). I never got my clock back!! Well, at least not yet....it's been like 10 minutes[​IMG] Good news, if I hit a side a key I can see my clock again. When I open the phone I get the missed calls screen, not the voice mail......ehh!!

I could've lived very happily without knowing about another bug!! [​IMG]

Ever get the feeling that LG doesn't test their phones before releasing them to the market?[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. vinviper

vinviper New Member

Yesterday my phone showed the little tape prompt long after I checked my messages on my land line. Does it take a while for it to disappear?

11. heldicus

heldicus Junior Member

I thought checking from a land-line still uses airtime. It's just the same as if someone leaves you a message...you get billed for that too.

12. landrumdh

landrumdh Junior Member

Why would it? You only get billed for airtime on your phone when it's connecting to the network for voice / data / wap . . . . calls.

If they do bill you (none of my other providers ever did) that's messed up BIG TIME.

13. Alex

Alex Senior Member

The voice mail indicator (Envelope) sends by the carrierâ??s network. This is not a PHONE PROBLEM. It is a network related. I am using the version 04 and this happened to me when I was in the Verizon Airtouch market. I am currently in the Verizon BAM market with no problems. Call Verizon tech support, if you get lucky to get someone knowledgeable that can be fixing in the matter of few seconds. I did some hardware testing back to the time when Ameritech wireless was in business. This problem results of the type of the switchboard that has been used on that market. We had the same problem off and on with the Ameritech network. If you leave in the area that Verizon uses the lucent switchboard, you rarely are going to have this problem. Common problems are in the Motorola switchboard. Phone receives whatever network transmits. The envelope notification canâ??t be store in the phone. The network has set to keep the copy of the message new. Verizon can remove this option from your account.
    Good luck to all

"The Old believe everything;
    The middle aged suspect everything;
    The young know everything."

14. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

OohOohMeNext-- Sorry, I didn't mean to make you unhappy by revealing this bug, I kind of thought it might just be a problem with my phone. I really hope 06 fixes it because I always check my VM from a land line whenever I can. You would THINK that something like this would have been immediately caught in testing. I noticed it in the first few days I had the phone. However I guess it's something people don't think to check for -- probably because testers get free minutes and don't have to worry about saving minutes here and there by using a land-line.

And no, heldicus, you must have been misinformed, or it may be different for prepay, but with a regular monthly plan, you are only charged airtime when you use your cell phone to check messages. You can check from a land-line and not be charged any airtime. You are also not charged for when people leave you VM messages. This would be terrible if someone decided to play a prank on you and left you a ton of long VMs using up all your minutes. They told me this isn't true and I've monitored my usage enough to be able to prove to myself that it's not. However a long time ago with Airtouch before VM was a standard feature, I used to have a plan where I could either pay $5.99 extra a month for unlimited VM or pay 10 cents a minute for incoming VM messages. That got expensive really quick and I ended up just disabling my VM. Perhaps you still have an old plan like that?

15. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

Alex-- I think you might be misunderstanding our problem. The phone receives signals from the carrier's network telling it when to display the new mail icon and it also receives signals telling it when to turn the icon off. This is working fine. I have had experiences in the past when these signals weren't received and the icon stayed on until I powered it off. That is probably the problem with the Motorola switchboards you were talking about. Ours is a different problem, however. This problem is that the phone doesn't correctly update the outer screen after shutting the icon off. It is definately a software issue and not the network.

16. Alex

Alex Senior Member

Flyer00. I think I did misunderstand your problem. That could be a software problem. However, I have not experienced this problem with my phone.

17. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just tried to replicate this problem and everything worked like a charm. I didn't get any goofy characters. My voicemail icon disappeared almost immediately. When I clicked a side button to clear the "1 missed..." screen it went right back to the normal idle state. I have s/w ver. 05 on my phone.

18. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

AnthroMatt--I just tried what you just said with 04. The weird characters came up and I pressed the side volume down button. The phone made a loud beep noise, but nothing changed. The weird chatacers remained. I tried pressing the side up and it beeped again and still nothing changed. Oh well, I'll try to get the 06 update soon. I'm just afraid they'll screw my phone up and they don't have any VX4400s in to replace it with.

19. Static

Static New Member

While we're talking about the outer screen for the 4400.....I was thinking about getting this phone soon. I was wondering how the outer screen displays the caller ID when you get a call. On my Nokia 3360 (I hate my Nokia!!!!) it will show only the number unless I have that person's name and number entered into my phonebook. If there name and number is entered into the phone book then it will display both the name and number at the same time. How does this work on the 4400.....and is there room on the outer screen for both the name and number to be displayed at once? Thanks!

20. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The name and number are both displayed. The name appears above the number if I remember correctly. The font is pretty small IMO, at least given the size of the outer LCD

21. Flyer00

Flyer00 Junior Member

The one thing I don't like about the outter screen displaying incoming calls is that if you have multiple numbers entered for a contact, it will not tell you which number they are calling from. Unless you can tell by looking at the phone number itself, you won't know if it's the person's mobile, work, home, etc. The Motorola phones display the icon next to the person's name on the outer screen. So if you see Joe Blow is calling and it has the house icon by his name, you know he's calling from home. However, the VX4400 does not show the icon. Not a huge deal, but definitely something I miss.

22. Static

Static New Member

Thanks for the response on the outer screen!

Do you know where to get a good hands free set-up for the vx4400?

23. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I don't know about the hands-free. That is one reason I gave up the 4400. The phone can't be used with head-sets that have an answer button.... No way to end the call without closing the flip, which is pretty hard to do if you never opened it in the first place [​IMG]

24. OohOohMeNext

OohOohMeNext Junior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    Well, I don't know how many people would be willing to do this, but to get around that "no icon" problem on the outer LCD I just program people's house, cell, work as different contacts. For example, I label them: (#2) Joe Blow Home, (#3) Joe Blow Cell, (#4) Joe Blow Work, etc. So when they call, you'll get "Joe Blow Cell" displayed as well as the number!!
    I've always done that on my cell phones, because that icon feature didn't exist before...PLUS I use those damn speed dials ALL the time, and all phones (as far as I know) will only speed dial the first number entered for a contact, even if you can store five numbers per contact. So, if I need to dial someone's cell number, I would have to scroll through and find it!!! Arrrgggg!!! How time consuming!!![​IMG] I NEVER look anything up!!!
    I like this method because you can dial anything directly. QUICKLY!![​IMG]
    This also helps for Call History purposes, because if you miss a call and scroll through the Missed Calls list, it will only show you the person's name, so to find out where they called from you have to select that name and look at the number. Ahhhhh!!! Another waste of time [​IMG]
    If you label the contact Joe Blow Cell, you'll instantly know by just scrolling through the list.

P.S. I can only do this because I don't need all 400(?) phonebook slots. I don't have THAT many friends[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...