Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX4400 always displays 1x rather the "D"

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Skywarner, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Skywarner

Skywarner New Member

VX4400 always displays 1x rather the "D"

I do have one question about the VX4400 that I'm hoping one of you technical folks can answer. :)

I live in a 1x capable market.

My wife's 1x capable Moto 120e always shows a "D" digital signal indicator...

My prior phone, the Audiovox 9500, always showed a "D" digital signal indicator...

My new phone, the LG VX4400, always shows the "1x" signal indicator.

I called VZ Tech Support, and they acknowledged that all of the 4400's do that, but they don't know why. Hmmmm....

Anyways, my theory is that since the 4400 has the ability to receive voice AND data (if plugged into a laptop, etc.) without telling the phone to specifically answer for data, the phone displays the "1x". Is this a decent guess?

Comments are welcomed!

2. Joe0378

Joe0378 Senior Member

1x only works on a digital network (not analog), so if it's 1x, you are obviously receiving a digital signal so I would not worry. You may only see a 'D' if you go to a digital area that does not support 1x.

3. Skywarner

Skywarner New Member

Thanks Joe for the reply on this. Your explanation makes sense to me. :) When I travel thru a non-1x area, I'm betting on the indicator just showing "D" then.

I guess my question was more along the lines of why do other 1x capable phones NOT display the 1x indicator in my area when the 4400 does show the 1x (in the same location, the store no less). My guess is that the phone's ability to receive and differentiate between voice and data/fax on its own may play a role in this.

4. Chase

Chase Junior Member

You are currently on a 1X market and the icon indicates that. When that icon shows a "D" then you are not in a 1X environment. Another thing is that these are Verizon requirements to put the icon in 1X if in a 1X environment. Moving forward, all handsets on Verizon network will show 1X.

5. moondog

moondog New Member

Skywarner:

I've got a 9500 and have a week left to decide whether to switch to a 4400. What's your advice on reception, sound quality, etc.

Thanks.

6. PjayzcivicHd84

PjayzcivicHd84 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX7000
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Skywarner, Verizon techs never know why...could it just be that new LG's dispplay 1x or digital, in other words they break it down more. Can anyone tell me the difference with 1x and digital? bit behind here...lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. T5

T5 New Member

My Phone:
    LG - VX 8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Moondog,
    I had the AudioVox CDM-9500 for about a week and I sent it back. I now am trying out the LG 4400. My original phone was an old Samsung 850, very similar design to the LG :)
    The 9500's screen was big & beautiful, by far it's best feature in my opinion and the sound quality was generally great, however, I had been told that I sounded like I was talking through water at times, and other times the volume on the receiver dropped to just above a whisper, for no apparent reason.
    For me, the 9500's minor inconveniences were that unlike the LG there are no side volume controls, which after being used to them on my old Samsung, the 9500 not having them was a real nuisance. The side controls on the LG also let you mute the ring of an incoming call, activate the backlight on the external display, and there's a third button just below the volume controls that enables the Voice Dial. The 9500 obviously does not have any of these features apart from using the keypad to activate them.
    The keys on the 9500 are smooth and flush with the phone chasis as opposed to being flush but tactile rubbery keys like the LG, this makes them easy to use. There also didn't appear to be a lamp alert mode on the 9500, meaning the lamp flashes when a call comes in but the ringer and the vibrate are suppressed, this is called "Silence All" mode in the LG.
    With my old Samsung I can be driving down the road with the windows open and people cannot tell whether I'm on my cell phone or on a wired phone. The mic cuts ALL background noise out except me, the AudioVox did not do that. The LG-4400's mic is not quite as good as the Samsung for cancelling out background noise, but it seems far better than the 9500's mic.
    Apart from the mic on the LG not being as good as my old Samsung, so far everything else is great. The internal screen is considerably smaller than the 9500 but it's a very nice screen, and the external screen is considerably larger than the AudioVox. The external screen also has multiple colors that you can set, as well as the ability to assign a particular color to incoming calls,missed calls, msgs, etc. so that color flashes on the external display :)
    Perhaps I just got one of the bad Audiovox phones, but I'm just stating my experience with the one I had. There was also a review on PhoneScoop about the 9500's sound dropping as well, so I know it wasn't just my phone.