Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VX3100 vs. VX4400

Discussion in 'LG Electronics' started by Athradon, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Athradon

Athradon New Member

I've never used an LG phone, but it sounds like the best brand Verizon has to offer right now. I can get either the VX3100 or the VX4400 for $50 after rebate. I would like the color screen of the 4400, but not at the expense of battery life. How do these two phones compare?

2. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    From everything I've read, the 4400 is a much better phone. Most importantly, the 3100 doesn't have analog capability. Sure, Verizon may have tons of digital coverage, but what if you're in an area where there is no CDMA coverage and you have an emergency? Answer, you're SOL with the 3100. I was in an area with no CDMA coverage (only TDMA and analog) and it was nice to know my A310 would still be able to make a call if neded.
    Second, the 3100 has no external caller ID. That means everytime you get a call you'll have to flip it open to see who it is. I've also read about some reception problems with the 3100 on a few phones, but have heard nothing but good things about the reception of the 4400.In terms of battery life, the 3100 is probably much better due to the lack of a color screen, lack of a second display, and the lack of analog. However, I'm sure some of the users of the 4400 could chime in. I'd say get the 4400. It seems to have a much more user friendly menu as well. The VX-10 is worth a look, though I didn't have good results with two VX-10s. I'd reccomend the 4400 though.

3. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

I chose the 3100 for simplicity. So far, it's very average. I used Cingular GSM for 14 days and unfortunately, am now spoiled by the GSM voice quality.
    I dont think any CDMA phone can come close.
    However, the dead spots, and hard handoff / drop calls are real annoying too.
    I'd give the GSM migraters a couple of years, and then, they'll have a viable product.
    I didn't know the 4400 was the same price,.......but I see that now on the website.
    I'm a simple user so I may keep it,.....on the other hand,......for the same money it seems foolish.
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    All in all the vx4400 is the better of the two phones for a few reasons. Well price is one at the moment. Also as far as battery life they come pretty close. (i compared them my buddy has one) the vx4400 has the external caller id and thats a plus with any flip phone. Also the analog capability is great to have like was said when you are in a fringe area. There will be all digital coverage everywhere sooner or later but today you may want this added feature.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Athradon

Athradon New Member

I've been using non-flip phones for about 2 years now, and didn't think to consider the external caller ID factor. I like the VX3100's simple, elegant design more, but if battery life isn't a major issue and because of the external caller ID, I'll probably go with the VX4400. Thanks everyone for the help!

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You are making the right choice! [​IMG]

Not that the 3100 is a bad phone, but considering that Verizon has the 4400 for $50 after rebate the 3100 should be free out the door with a new contract.

7. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Well, I was hearing that the 4400 chewed up the battery really fast,.....even the VZN store people mentioned that. The 3100 is a cute little flip, but I'm really debating this no analog thing now.....damn.
    You know, VZN states they have 96% digital coverage, yet, they produced a map at the store that said "90% digital coverage"
    For example, the Outer Banks of N.C. is still apparently analog only. I think that's insane, given the tourist traffic there. Also, I'm not sold on this "stub" antenna on the 3100
    I've noticed that when people pull their antennas, whether you can "see" a signal change or not, it seems to sound better. Also, the 3100 display is pretty lame,.....faded green look.
    I though all of this stuff would translate to better battery life. If not,.......

8. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The 4400 has battery life equal or better than some non-color phones (a310 for instance) and usually got a day less than my wife's v60i. Leaving the phone on 24/7 I had to charge it every 3rd day. If I turned it off at night I usually got 4-5 days use on a single charge. That's fine for me. [​IMG]

9. koshea

koshea New Member

i just got a vx3100 recently after trying out both the 4400 and the 3100. The 4400 was nice, but the battery just died too quickly for the talking i did. Which to me is a major issue, since i had a Kyocera 2135 last, and it died after 20 mins of use. The 3100 has never over heated on me, or died too quickly. I have never noitced(so far) any issues with it only taking a digital signal. but the real test will be when i go back to school(Purdue Univ In). My verizon rep showed me a map and said that it was digital zone, and if it wasnt i could come back and get a phone that had the analog. So far, this vx3100 has been a godsend compared to the hell i had with the kyocera.

10. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

Mine's functioning very well,..............batt life going up with batt conditioning

I like the small profile.......

11. XprtCop

XprtCop =- Legend -=

My Phone:
    Sony Ericsson i580
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    What? No 1xRTT?

I guess it works for someone who just wants a phone to make calls ( youd wonder what else youd need phones for) anyway i like all the extra features, but thats just me i guess.

12. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am pretty sure the Outer Banks NC has digital. My friend goes there every year and when she called me last year she sounded like she was on CDMA.

13. PADutchman

PADutchman Senior Member

The VZN store rep. showed me the map,..." now,....have you seen this...?"

And we discussed the Outer Banks as it is a place I once went.
    And I said, "so, if I start going back there, my 3100 won't work..."?
    I dunno,....maybe it is, but the map didn't show it.

I haven;t been anywhere yet locally where no analog has been a negative. I DO wish it had an extendable antenna,...but signal is usually fine.