Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Volunteering at cell sites

Discussion in 'Working or Investing in the Wireless Industry' started by Day5InJanuary, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    the title of the thread is pretty much what im trying to do. My only problem is finding out who to contact? Or if this is even allowed for this type of work. If anyone has any input it's greatly appreciated.

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    What part of the U.S. are you in?

I serious doubt that it's possible. You can certainly try. Cell towers are going to have their own salaried/hourly employees. I am sure there's a liability issue having a volunteer

#2 palandri, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  3. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Volunteering for what? I understand you want to be at cell sights but doing what? You probably already know those things are unmanned 99% of the time. Network monitoring from central network offices and those who drive around registering/monitoring reception levels are the ones whose "hands are in the cookie jar" most of the time.

palandri likes this.
  4. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    KevinJames, palandri
    Thanks for the reply. I am fully aware the towers are vacant unless there is some work that needs to be done. What I was getting at was if my information could be provided to a company who preforms maintenance at cell sites. I could be contacted to show up and just do grunt work. Get tools ready, pick up messes... Anything to help. Like right now ive seen numerous T-Mobile sites getting worked on. It may not even be possible to do this but have volunteerism is something i do and believe in. Understandable if this job would not permit it.

palandri likes this.
  5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    @Day5InJanuary: Having worked for ATT, I can tell you that the corporate mentality of security and clearances is very important. Even contractors are required to do background checks. I think your offer would be viewed very suspiciously: "WHY do you want to do grunt work at critical links such as towers?" Your reason of volunteerism would be viewed as very shallow, unbelievable, and you'd probably be marked as a possible threat. If you want to make a difference in the world through volunteering, consider your work history and how it can be applied to making the world a better place. There are humanitarian and animal services agencies that may be interested. (I needed special clearance to conduct company business at some of the main network hubs and that didn't come easily.)

palandri likes this.
  6. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Maybe you need to enroll in College and take telecommunication classes and do an internship with a wireless provider.

I hate to sound cold and callous, but I am in Chicago where labor unions are strong and we protect our work.

If I was a laborer, I am suppose to sit at home and make no money while you, "... do grunt work. Get tools ready, pick up messes...". Now you're dealing with someones lively hood. Once you mess with someones lively hood expect a fight.

7. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Yikes! Bad idea/post by me. I should have thought it through more. Thanks for the honest and direct responses.

palandri and charlyee like this.
  8. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I think it's great that you are eager and willing to learn. Ask directly to some contract companies if they want a unpaid intern. I'm sure someone would be happy to have someone doing work for free. You just have to do it properly, ie: apply to the companies with a resume, sign a contract, take safety courses, etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    charlyee and Day5InJanuary like this.
  9. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I remember reading a couple of articles about cell tower climbers. There are very few states, counties or cities that have any type cell tower climber laws, rules or regulations that has resulted in a lot of cell tower climber deaths. Reason being most cell tower climber contractors are two men and a rope. In fact, I remember reading a few contractors would send out one man and a rope.

10. Day5InJanuary

My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    Thanks Radio for the encouragement. I actually got a call back today from a inquiry I made about interning. Things are moving forward!

charlyee likes this.
  11. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I don't know if there are any "laws" about tower climbing, but companies are responsible for the safety of their workers. If a tower climber falls and gets hurt or dies, you can be sure there will be a law suit. If it's determined the company didn't properly train and take proper safety precautions for the worker, the company who employed him is in legal deep yogurt. So it's in the companies best interest, legally, to cover their a$$ and make sure the tower climber is "certified".

Certified usually means proving that they took a training course, were issued proper climbing gear (harness, hard-hat, gloves, etc.) and a certified instructor showed them how to properly use it all. Most accidents I heard about happen when a tower-climber knowingly violated a safety rule, eg. removed his harness.

Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    palandri and Day5InJanuary like this.
  12. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    From what I remember from the articles I read, there really wasn't anyone to sue, since most contractors were simply two men and a rope.

I went ahead and Googled it and PBS has been following the issue for a while and the Feds are looking into now. You are correct, there's a real lack of training and failure to follow safety precautions. Here's the PBS link that has numerous articles they have written on the subject:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/cell-tower-deaths/

RadioRaiders likes this.
  13. RadioRaiders

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Very interesting video. I'm working in Europe, from what I see, there's a much bigger focus on safety here in Europe.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/front...der-at-cell-carriers-when-tower-climbers-die/

palandri likes this.