Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VoiceStream Service in Sussex County NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by ryan141, Jul 2, 2002.

1. ryan141

ryan141 New Member

Hello all,

I will probably be moving into Sussex county NJ (North East area of state), and I was planning on purchasing a new GSM based phone. I currently have Verizon wireless, but I am unhappy with the current line up of cellular phones, and services. So, I was planning on purchasing a Sony Ericson T68, but I am not sure if Voicestream or Cingular can provide or does provide adequate GSM coverage in the Northeast Quadrant of NJ.

I have tried to look at and decipher the maps at GSM World, but it doesn't look like Voicestream has any coverage off of any of the major roadways! Maybe I just don't understand how to read the maps, or maybe they don't really have coverage. The northeast quadrant of NJ has always been a trouble spot for cellular service, until lately. I have seen several new towers, and my VZW service has gotten a lot better, so I was wondering if maybe the GSM network had been upgraded as well.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    First of all Sussex County is in the NorthWEST of NJ not the Northeast and it is in my opinion a forgotten area when it comes to technology. I worked with several schools in the area as a technology consultant and some of our clients had trouble getting Internet in the schools because the only thing that was available was dialup service and even that was hard to get. They couldn't even get ISDN or T1 lines. Back to the subject, there were small portions along route 15 near Sparta where there wasn't even analog celullar service!. That only means that PCS is even more scarce if it exists at all. Ironically, getting closer to the Pennsylvania border I had digital service. For the most part you are better off with cellular 800Mhz services if you are thinking to move to areas like these as they have more (if not the only) coverage in these areas. Not only the 800Mhz band is better for mountainous regions like Sussex county but I doubt very much Voicestream has any service up there and if they don't Cingular won't either because they share the system in North Jersey. AT&T has analog-only service and in some areas digital and I bet Sprint would be roaming on Verizon's analog network up there too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

How in the world I confused northeast for northwest I will never know! I guess I need more coffee.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

In Sussex County AT&T no longer has a roaming aggreement with Sussex Cellular and I can no longer use my phone. Starting back in November I noticed I could no longer make or recieve calls when in Sussex County visiting my parents even though I had a full signal on my phone. I would call AT&T and they couldn't tell me what the problem was, it took over 6 months of me calling for them to tell me that they cancelled the roaming aggreement. After I renewed my contract for another year of course. Other than Verizon does any other cellular company have service in Sussex County? AT&T keeps telling me they are going to be turning on service but I have heard that for 3 years, I am ready to switch to another carrier if I found a good deal.

5. jason

jason Member

ATT actually does have "some" service in Sussex county. They have something like one or two sites in Newton (or maybe Sparta) which are utilizing their E Block PCS license there. I agree that ATT is pretty dumb even allow your phone to register on the Sussex Cellular Network. (Theoretically, they could just make Sussex Cellular a "forbidden" network, and not allow your phone to register.) This would at least give you the illusion that there was no coverage.

I have used VS within Sussex county, but not a lot. I would imagine that as ATT continues to build out their gsm network in the nyc metro, they will continue to add sites in Sussex - but don't hold your breath.

jason

6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Ryan you might just be better off staying with Verizon Wireless if they have coverage there and from the posts I gather that is a hard area to cover and seems spotty with about everybody.

7. scotty

scotty New Member

Ryan, sussex county has coverage in these areas, all of rt. 15 all of rt. 94 and rt 206 and most of rt.23. this is digital gsm coverage via voicestream and covers most of the town therin from these routes.

8. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Your (more or less) only choice is Verizon.

I wonder how Sussex (Sux) Cellular has managed to avoid going under, especially given the feuding with AT&T which has gone on for YEARS...

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I took a drive around Sussex county with my Cingular phone since I work nearby. In my case, since I am on the TDMA network, I use AT&T towers all the time. My phone did switch from the "a" cellular block to the "E" PCS block just as Jason said. In my opinion, you would not want to use your phone indoors as there are many blank spots where signal fades completely and there are long stretches of roads where signal is weak but useable. I did not have problems along Rt 15, but Rt 94 has some dead spots. Rt 23 could have better coverage. On the Rt.23 and Rt.94 corner (which is not an isolated area) signal is close to zero.