Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VoiceStream or Cingular NYC

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by punerd, Jun 6, 2002.

1. punerd

punerd New Member

i know that cingular will be using voicestream's gsm network in nyc. (when that will happen, who knows!!) when they do, will both providers have the same voice and wireless technology? is there any advantage in waiting for cingular to open their stores? whats the deal with 3G technology? i assume that it will be awhile before cingular introduces that. i'm currently without a working SprintPCS phone and have been highly anticipating cingulars arrival. i keep waiting and waiting and waiting...

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    GSM is considered 2.5G. ATT, Cingular, Verizon and Voicestream will all be using it, if they aren't already.

ATT and Cingular are upgrading all their TDMA networks to GSM
    Verizon will be retrofitting their already-more-advanced CDMA network to provide GSM
    Voicestream is GSM throughout all its markets.

To find out more about coming technologies, read some of the links on my website.

3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually, Kev, GSM is 2G, GPRS is 2.5G [​IMG]

Anyway, yes they will both have the same technology - GSM/GPRS. VoiceStream's network is 100% GSM/GPRS - the GPRS overaly was completed last year. You won't gain anything in terms of technology by choosing one or the other. Billing systems, customer care, phone selection and rate plans will be the potential differences.

<< Verizon will be retrofitting their already-more-advanced CDMA network to provide GSM >>

Kevin that's not true - Verizon is moving towards cdma2000 1X (to start with and eventually 1XEV-DO I think), not GSM.....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin is refering to this thread regarding Verizon and GSM.