Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

VoiceStream launch in California

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Just got off the phone with a VoiceStream rep (paying a bill) and I asked her what was going on, what new launches if any were taking place. She told me that they were launching in California and Nevada. The California market seems to be well covered with both CIngular and now VoiceStream launching.

2. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Voicestream is piggy-backing on Cingular's network in California and Nevada....

3. Guest

Guest Guest

that is not what the rep told me. I mentioned it to her about the piggybacking and she specifically said it was VoiceStreams launch on top of what Cingular has......unless she was DRUNK! :)

4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    could be

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Kenny

Kenny Senior Member

Try reading up on some of the threads in the Western forum: Here's an excerpt...

Cingular subscribers fear more busy signals
    Overburdened wireless system will share California, Nevada networks with VoiceStream

Todd Wallack, San Francisco Chronicle Staff Writer Friday, July 5, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cingular Wireless subscribers, already steaming over dropped calls and system busy signals, could become even more frustrated this summer when another major mobile phone company launches service in California and Nevada using the same network, observers said.

Under a year-old joint venture, Deutsche Telekom's VoiceStream unit won the right to use Cingular's wireless network to handle calls in the two Western states in exchange for letting Cingular use VoiceStream's network in New York. The companies now jointly manage the networks.

But analysts said VoiceStream's launch in California could create headaches for both firms' subscribers because the grid is already jammed during peak times, such as the afternoon rush hour. The California Public Utilities Commission just launched a formal investigation into the company after receiving thousands of complaints from Cingular subscribers about spotty coverage and inadequate capacity.

"The timing couldn't be worse," said Michael Shames, executive director of the Utility Consumers' Action Network in San Diego, which has also received complaints from frustrated Cingular customers about dropped calls and spotty coverage.

"Right now, you have a Cingular Wireless system that is stressed, if not overloaded, in many areas."

Adventis wireless analyst Rakesh Mahajan also agreed that VoiceStream's launch could put additional strain on the network.

"Considering that they are using the same infrastructure, there is going to be a big problem," Mahajan said.

But VoiceStream and Cingular representatives insisted they will be prepared for the increased load.

"California is too important of a market for us to go into without being confident that we can provide quality coverage to our customers," said VoiceStream spokeswoman Kim Thompson.

Cingular spokesman Clay Owen said the firm has boosted network coverage by 25,000 square miles since 1999, including 10,000 this year alone.

The company recently announced it is spending $945 million in California and several other Western states to upgrade its network. And Owen said new technology allows it to put more calls on the same network.

"We believe there will adequate network capacity," Owen said.

But some Cingular customers, who are already having trouble completing calls, are skeptical.

"The hard fact is that they have sold more subscriptions than they have bandwidth for," said David Hornyak in Martinez. Hornyak, a Cingular subscriber and former buyer of wireless equipment, said he was shocked when he recently applied for a retail job at VoiceStream, and learned the company planned to use the same over-taxed network.

"If Cingular customers think they have problems now . . . wait until all those VoiceStream customers jump on board and further clog up the lines," he said.

Alec Kercso, an Atherton software engineer, said he's seen the service improve over the past two years, but said it is still lacking. He said his neighborhood is riddled with dead spots. And he said his calls are sometimes disconnected even when he is stationary, apparently as other callers bump him off the network.

"It drives me crazy," Kercso said. "I'll look at the display and it says 'system busy.' "

"If it's going to do start to that (more), that's a concern."

Regardless, VoiceStream spokesmen said the company plans to launch service in the state under the T-Mobile brand name sometime this summer, unleashing a flurry of radio, television and newspaper ads in an effort to sign up new subscribers. (A customer service representative, answering VoiceStream's toll-free number, said the VoiceStream could enter the market as early as two to three weeks.)

In addition, VoiceStream, which is based in Bellevue, Wash. and has 7 million wireless subscribers, is planning to open stores across the state, including in Oakland, San Francisco, San Jose, Stockton and Sacramento, according to job openings on VoiceStream's Web site. The firm, which uses the slogan 'Get More," also may offer special promotional prices.

"It is going to be hard to miss us once we launch," said company VoiceStream spokesman Bryan Zidar.

Cingular customers are just hoping they don't notice when trying to place calls.

6. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

1) Never trust ANY CS rep :)

2) VS will add some equipment and have some parts of the infrastructure on its own... but generally spoken it will be the same network.

C.

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can assure everyone that VoiceStream is piggybacking on Cingular's network, at least to start. I have seen workers adding equipment and altering Cingular's existing sites to make room for VoiceStream. VoiceStream has not yet added any sites of their own however they have applied for a few which will come in the future.

8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ... but it's not a 100% piggyback. Initial tower locations, yes. But it's VS switches, and a combined larger spectrum position with Cingular that will operate the network. It is not accurate to imply that VS is just going to add to Cingular's traffic. VS is adding HW to both mitigate their effect and separate VS traffic from Cingular's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes but I was just referring to the tower location aspect being the same.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

so it is true that VS will have their own equipment added to cingular towers. When i spoke to the rep she stated that VS is not relying totally on Cingular therefore they will "launch" some of their own eqiuipment/switches. Am i correct to assume that some with get a V-Stream on their phone?

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Actually you'll get T-Mobile, not VStream, but yes it won't be Cingular.

12. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Further explanation of this to the anonymous poster, the reason why the SIM Cards will say T-Mobile and not Voicestream/VStream, is because just in case you didn't know, the name is changing from Voicestream to T-Mobile nationwide, starting out the T-Mobile brand will be the California/Nevada Market. Only the new 'EONS' SIM Cards with a combination of a new Voicestream or T-Mobile phone will make the display on the phone say T-Mobile. You must have both; I have an old SIM Card, on that is not EONS branded, and I also have a new, new P280, the reprogrammed updated P280, and my display still says VStream. Once again, this is because I don't have the new EONS Sim Card. My phone does say 'Welcome to T-Mobile' though.

For all of us who don't have the new EONS SIM Cards, then when we travel to the California/Nevada Market, our phones will display Cingular, not T-Mobile, not Voicestream, Not VStream. They will display Cingular even if we are on the Voicestream spectrum out there. Man, I don't want my phone to say Cingular or have anything to do with Cingular, that sucks.

13. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  14. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Unfortunately for you, that's the way it is Aiwapro....hehe, you always with an amusing comment...

Let's see who Voicestream prefers: You as a beloving and eternally faithful customer or Cingular as a business partner helping them expand their coverage? Looks like your lover betrayed you by marrying Cingular...lol

BTW, what do you think about a merge between VS and AT&T?

15. scotty

scotty New Member

I think the merger is possible, Reuters company news "released" some reports of talks between VS and At&t, and VS with many other providers, but no results or progress was made. It is possible that DT will sell VS to make up for some Debt. DT needs VS as there North American parter however, so selling VS may change there position and situation in the concern of they're position as a global leader in mobile comm. There really isn't a way to predict how this will go, VS's bussiness ethics and the way it treats it's customers and emmployee's is very good, and Dt hasn't had any negitive impact on VS- In fact T-mobil adopted a lot of VS's marketing and operational ideals. basically evrything but The VS name. VS owns the rights to the Get More marketing stratigy that t mobil is currently using accross the globe, how negitvly will selling VS effect them? my guess is really bad, so it's not neccesarily in their best interests to sell VS. But you never know. they'r are so many possibilitys...

16. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    So if this AT&T/VS merger goes thru then does that mean Cingular, AT&T and VoiceStream customers will all be using the same GSM towers in the West?

17. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Its possible Larry because one of the things they mentioned in the article is to avoid building overlapping coverage.
    What Scotty said about Voicestream's business ethics and the way they treat their customers is very true. I would hate to see AT&T getting their hands in such a good company as Voicestream because they can only damage Voicestream's good practices. To me, the merge can only have negative effects on Voicestream, unfortunately translating into higher prices and less freedom to customers (which are well known AT&T attributes).

18. scotty

scotty New Member

if At&t buys VS, they are buying the towers, assets, name, (If they want it) marketing, and roaming agreements. so if At&t merges or Purchases VS's assets then At&t wireless GSM customers Would roam in caliphornia and nevada on the cingular towers. and att would be contractially obligated to keep the roaming agreement in new york, allowing cingular to roam there. keep in mind cingular is building its own towers in NY and even has some built and operating already.

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Scotty, how much percentage of NYC GSM coverage Cingular owns? which PCS block do they operate on?

20. scotty

scotty New Member

Not to mention att has no use for vs employees with the exception of customer care(which would greatly improve Att quality of service). But on the other topic- Im not sure if its an A or B block pcs license and i dont know how many towers or percentage. in fact i dont know if they have or will build towers in the immediate future, the building is probably just been base stations built at VS tower site's. PS. in the future(probably the next year) cingular will not build towers, because it would just make more sense to just re-fit there TDMA tower sites to operate TDMA and GSM at the same tower location, (Building and site licenses are not neaded)-(licences are auctioned once in a while so its not something they can do overnite)

21. EricssonGawd

EricssonGawd New Member

<< Its possible Larry because one of the things they mentioned in the article is to avoid building overlapping coverage.
    What Scotty said about Voicestream's business ethics and the way they treat their customers is very true. I would hate to see AT&T getting their hands in such a good company as Voicestream because they can only damage Voicestream's good practices. To me, the merge can only have negative effects on Voicestream, unfortunately translating into higher prices and less freedom to customers (which are well known AT&T attributes).
    >>

I think its too late to damage voicestreams good practices because they were already damaged beforehand.

and less freedom? if you someone signs a contract with a provider then they should realize that its a contract not something that if they want out of it they can call and get out of it without any penalities.

If you remember it was at&T one rate plan that actually helped the wireless industry because almost every provider now offers a single rate or national rate plan.

what has VS dont that has changed the industry like that? not a darn thing.

I mean they have to give away huge buckets of minutes to attract people...thats not innovative thats just desperate....

If this merger goes thru it will hurt att customers more than anyone.....and plus i dont think the NTT docomo shareholders would actually aprove it....i know if it went thru and when i got my shareholder ballot sheet i will personally say nay!

22. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The merger will be good for GSM as a network, but we'll loose some of the best rate plans around. Hey, if AT&T Wireless wants to buy Voicestream, it can't be that bad. I'm sure Entity Dot Com, or whatever the name is, will agree it's good for AT&T Wireless. As a customer, I don't see it as good for us.

23. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

<< what has VS dont that has changed the industry like that? not a darn thing. I mean they have to give away huge buckets of minutes to attract people...thats not innovative thats just desperate.... >>

If it wasn't for Voicestream offering the huge buckets of minutes, then no other companies would be offering these huge buckets of minutes. Cingular followed suit right behind Voicestream with offering alot of 'anytime' minutes. Were they desperate too?

<< I think its too late to damage voicestreams good practices because they were already damaged beforehand. and less freedom? if you someone signs a contract with a provider then they should realize that its a contract not something that if they want out of it they can call and get out of it without any penalities.
    >>

How was Voicestream's good practices damaged. I haven't noticed anything bad. They take care of all of their problems and they are nice to the customers. I think their practices are good since they seem to bring in over 500,000 customers every quarter and currently have over 8 million customers, and have only been around since 1994. That sounds pretty good to me. Who said anything about Voicestream letting you out of your contract early easily. They are stand firm about contracts just as ll of the providers do. What are you talking about?

24. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Care to expand upon how the merger will HURT at&t customers

Jack

25. Guest

Guest Guest

WHOA!! VoiceStream customers can get out of their contracts?? How? Lemme Know!