Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Voicestream is a living nightmare...

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Nov 11, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I had Voicestream for a year and I have to say that they are the WORST cell phone company in the world. I think after the first month of using their service I wanted to get out of my contract with them. I have had the worst customer service experiences with them and the people that answer phones who are I guess called "Customer Care" representatives sound as if they graduated from the College of Ghetto Fabulousness.

Although amongst all this crappy customer service, I did stick with them for a year hoping things would get better but I was constantly overbilled. I WARN YOU TO GO OVER YOUR BILL WITH A FINE TOOTH COMB, especially if you make a lot of calls, because there will definitely be mistakes. I had to call customer service every month becuse they way over charged me each month. Even though they did credit my account each month, I still had to be on the phone with their customer service people for well over an hour each time. One time I added up the calls I made using and Excel spreadsheet and their total at the bottom of the bill was way over what I calculated using Excel. I brought this to their attention and saw they it was definitely a huge error and once again I was credited but I was robbed of my time once again.

One final thing that I must say which is why I am posting this message is that I know of no other cell phone company which takes away your mintues for using your HOME phone to call into your cell phone for checking your messages on your mobil phone. One month as an experiment I only used my home phone to check my messages on my mobil phone and when I got my bill, sure enough I was deducted mintues from the total amount of my whenever minutues. When I called Voicestream about this... They couldn't understand this either... I spoke to several people including a Supervisor and could not get an explanation. They made out a ticket for this issue but of course I never was contacted with any kind of explanation. It was then I threw in the towel with that company. I just wanted my year to go by as quickly as possible.

I also had an issue where I had a layover at an airport and people were trying to call me but I didn't answer my phone because I didn't really want to chat and each time my phone rang and went to voicemail I was charged for roaming. When I got my bill I had over 10 strings of entries for about .49 each for each time the phone went to voicemail because I didn't pick up. When I called Voicestream about this problem I was told that I should have turned off my phone and yes even when you don't pick up your phone and it goes to voicemail you are still charged for roaming. Could someone please explain this???? How crazy is this????

I now have NEXTEL now and they are what a cell phone company should be. I haven't had any problems with them at all and their customer service people return calls and even answer your problems in a timely manor.

I am posting this this message because hopefully someone who is interested in getting a cell phone service will read this and take heed and get any other service but Voicestream unless they like horror movies.

2. Bird

Bird New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    I have to disagree with your assessment of VoiceStream. I have been with them for about 16 months and have had no problems. I don't think you mentioned where you live. I live in Central NJ and haven't been in many areas in the state where the phone doesn't work. Its been great in NYC as well. I knew going in that GSM coverage is not national but it has been terrific for the price. If it fits your travel areas, it is hard to beat the price. Another great thing about their service is the SIM card. When I got a new phone I was able to give my sister, who is also on VoiceStream, my old phone by just swapping the SIM cards. I also didn't have any troubles with the customer Service people, it was about the same as any customer service.

3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Did you have Voicestream when it used to be Omnipoint? I am asking this because Voicestream had a lot of trouble converting the data over into their systems. There were many problems with billing.

4. xander

xander New Member

Hi,

I am the Anonymous person that originally posted this message.

I had Voicestream from last year up until this past October. I have had Nextel Since beginning of September. I had both services on at the same time and Nextel is so much better. I live in New York City and after the World Trade Center incident, Voicestream was impossible to make calls from but Nextel worked flawlessly. Also in regards to the other person that said Voicestream was so great -- How many calls do you make??? A lot of people I know hardly use their cell phone. I use my cell phone for business purposes so I make a lot of calls on it. If you make a lot of calls on your phone the statement you get will be huge at the end of the month. This will require a smart person to go over it making sure that all the calls are correct. Voicestream was constantly making errors on my bill. If I had one of the lowest plans by them and not making calls on the phone or making very few calls, then Voicestream is fine. But if you make a lot calls on your phone and you need a larger plan then Voicestream is definitely NOT the company to go with. I have Nextel and I get free unlimited incoming calls plus free nights and weekends. I have even been thinking about getting a cable modem for dial up access for my computer so I can get rid of my phone at home and just have my cell phone because everyone I know just calls me on my cell phone. Plus I have free long distance on my cell phone so why should I pay my phone company money for long distance where it is free from NEXTEL. I am extremely happy with NEXTEL and have told my friends about it and they have switched from their cell phone services to it. You can't beat the free long distance, unlimited incoming calls and free nights and weekends. PLUS... the web access for the phone does not take away from your minutes so you can surf the web with your phone unlimited also!!!

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree with Anonymous. Every time I check my bill, I am overcharged. My year is half over and I'm dying to find a better plan in NYC. Any suggestions?

6. miciola

miciola New Member

PLEASE can anyone suggest an alternative to Voicestream - my contract is up in January and I want to get a new plan before Christmas - VOICESTREAM sucks! I don't use my phone THAT often - but I cannot deal with the customer service! I jusy spent the last two hours and two weeks trying to find out what is going on with my replacement phone - I can't believe that it's been two weeks and it's still on backorder - at least when I had Sprint they could replace my phone in the store as soon as it broke...I mean they can't even tell me an approximate date about when it will be shipped - it makes NO SENSE.....

7. CellguyNY

CellguyNY Junior Member

I don't know how Voicestream can be a living nightmare I mean no ones customer service is perfect and I would like to know what plans you people had that you went over your minutes you did not express that in you posts. For all i know you had the 19.99 plan and went over your minutes which is 40 cents additional and another point i would like to make to xander Nextel has had there problems as well they have switched customers of mine from minute to minute without ever saying it to them, that is very illegal. I had them during the sept 11th attacks and i had a knew I85 and it was not working but my Voicestream phone worked and it was a 3390 (Nokia. I have had voicestream for over three years and have never had a problem with customer service and Nextel has given me problems alot but i have not cancelled them due to need to get in contact with employees at the store. I've had customer reps from Nextel with attitudes and did not know whta they were doing and i didn't cancel them yet. I am still thinking about it because they have unclear roaming areas outside of the city as if you went to NJ or upstate i was charged roaming with Nextel not with Voicestream. But now VS has implemented sales rep id's with there names something that few wireless companys due, which is good so now if you talk to julie and get her sales rep id you get her in a sling if she gives you the wrong answers. Another problem is when you call on the weekend to Customer Care you get the part timers with any company except Nextel, they have there problems during the week. You have tp know who your talking too and be patient too, but i do not blame u for cancelling maybe i in fact have more patience than most.

CellguyNY

8. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    There are more good things about voicestream than bad.First
    i have never ever had a problem with voicestream.My phone
    works in all of the NYC Tunnels,which other carriers don't
    except verizon.AT&T only works in the holland&lincoln tunnels.
    There are however some dead spots in certain areas,however
    this problem occurs will all carriers.People just have to be
    patient.In some towns,the zoning commission will not permit
    carriers to putup towers.Eventually there will be service in
    areas that are not covered yet.Also,since i travel quite often
    around the U.S.as well as to europe,i have no problems in
    making or receiving calls.I do alot af driving around the
    tri-state area(NY,NJ,CT.MA.PA,&DC)I had more problems with
    sprint pcs(DROPPED CALLS,ECHOING,CALLS GOING TO VOICEMAIL WITH
    FULL SIGNAL STRENGTH AND PHONE NOT RINGING)Also,it takes 2-4
    rings on the callers end for me to get 1-ring on mt phone.This
    is very bad for me since i use my phone for business and is on
    24/7 Also,every 3-4 months you have to bring the phone in to a sprint pcs store to have an up-grade done to the phone.No
    other carrier has do do this.Voicestream has much better plans
    and provides much better service than sprint or even at&t.
    Some people just don;t understand how the wireless industry
    works.Also,voicestream has excellent customer service who knows what they are talking about.If i have any problem at all
    i call customer service and they try to correct the problem if
    they can otherwise they write out a trouble ticket and they
    give me extra minutes to use for my trouble.I also never had
    any trouble with my invoice.Even though i use over 1500 min.a
    month plus the i-stream network,my invoices are alway's billed correctly.In the comming new year voicestream is going to get even better.If you currently have voicestream,do not
    be a fool.Stay with them or you may regret it later on.

9. GJMOO7

GJMOO7 Junior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    YOU SHOULD HAVE TRIED BUYING A PHONE ON E-BAY.ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS BUY ANT PHONE YOU WANT THAT IS EITHER UN-LOCKED OR IT IS ACTUALLY A VOICESTREAM PHONE.THEN JUST INSERT YOUR SIM CARD AND YOU ARE READY TO GO.I PURCHASED (4)PHONES FROM VOICESTREAM OVER THE PAST(2)YEARS THE LASTEST ONE COMMING
    LAST FRIDAY WHEN I GOT THE MOTOROLA TIMEPORT P280.I ORDERED
    OVER THE PHONE LAST TUESDAY MORNING AT 10:45AM.IT TOOK ONLY
    (3)DAY'S TO COME.EVERY TIME I PLACED AN ORDER,I WAS TOLD RIGHT
    THEN AND THERE WHEN I WAS GOING TO RECEIVE IT.I HAD NOTHING
    BUT EXCELLENT SERVICE WITH VOICESTREAM EVER SINCE THEY TOOK
    OVER OMNIPOINT.I BEEN WITH THE COMPANY FOR (6)YEARS INCLUDING
    OMNIPOINT AND I DO NOT REGRET IT AT ALL.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I starting to realize that personal experience is not a good way to judge a company.

I've noticed with postings on this site and working as a cust care rep myself for a cell phone company that there are going to be very satisfied customers with no problems for years from day one and others with problems on top of problems with their service/bills/cust care/etc.

It doesn't make any sense and it appears it doesn't matter who you are with.

The only thing that bothers me is the people who are not satisfied with anything. I actually had a customer once who deactivated her service with only having it for one month because sometimes her Voicemail takes 24 seconds to answer. Everything else was fine. And she expected to not be bound to her contract because we are not offering the service she expected.

With my own cell phone service I'm lucky if I can place a call out, however I understand that with the land and weather condition here it is to be expected.

S. Cole

11. Gabe

Gabe New Member

I am tired of Voicestream with their minute rounding and stuff also, I also can't stand those little toy phones they have in their line, only the T28 or the Siemens S40 would do it for me but, there is no way I am spending that much for the actual phone without getting some more options. That is why I have gone Nextel, AT&T sucked because the connection would go dead if you went into a ******* store (hey, Voicestream sucked for me too in a lot of places, an example is on my computer desk for some reason) Sprint had significantly better service but, I wasn't satisfied with their phones and they ripped you on minutes also.

As for Voicestream support, this is what I think *worst customer service experiences with them and the people that answer phones who are I guess called "Customer Care" representatives sound as if they graduated from the College of Ghetto Fabulousness.* - Anonymous

I agree with that 500%, I call in to tell them there is a problem with my bill and they are asking me if I know that Nas got robbed at an IHOP around my house. Some of them even sing while I am waiting for them to do something.

12. Rich

Rich Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry® Style™ 9670 s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint- AT&t
    Hi Gabe, I'm sorry you had a bad experience...but im interested in hearing how Nextel is working out for you.? I too have Nextel and have been very happy with it, I'm going to let you in on alittle secret..if you haven't already figured it out, There isn't a perfect service provider out there..everyone of them have their flaws. In defense of Voicestream & Sprint pcs, they are still new companies and are rapidly expanding their networks, but I'm not surprised to here what you said about At&t. I two famliy members(who travel alot) that were "burned" by At&t and are now using Nextel and are very happy. [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Gabe

Gabe New Member

<< Hi Gabe, I'm sorry you had a bad experience...but im interested in hearing how Nextel is working out for you.? I too have Nextel and have been very happy with it, I'm going to let you in on alittle secret..if you haven't already figured it out, There isn't a perfect service provider out there..everyone of them have their flaws. In defense of Voicestream & Sprint pcs, they are still new companies and are rapidly expanding their networks, but I'm not surprised to here what you said about At&t. I two famliy members(who travel alot) that were "burned" by At&t and are now using Nextel and are very happy. [​IMG] >>

I am now using Nextel, I love it so far, other than the fact that the phone makes my monitor giggle and my stereo makes popping noises when the phone is too close to it, The reception is clear, radio feature is great and incoming free rocks.

14. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I have no complaints about Voice Stream. Their customer service has been very helpful to me. Every time I have called, they have answered my questions and solved my problems. I don't use my phone much and have the 350/3550 plan, so I dont expect a bill. I have free roaming.

I have two other cellphones as well. My audiovox CDMA 3300 is on the MCI worldcom 350/3350 plan; MCI is wonderful, clear reception, great customer service, no problems with billing. Been with them for a year. Just renewed and upgraded. My Kyocera 2135 is with Verizon 150/3350 2 year plan. No problems with phone, reception or Verizon's billing. In fact, I pay on line.

Some people have problems and I feel sorry for their bad experiences. I have not had one bad experience( knock wood) I am extremely pleased withh all 3 of my cell phone services and have actually gotten people at work to change from Cingular and Sprint to MCI n Verizon and Voice Stream.

Barbara Behan
    Hammonton,NJ