Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Voicestream in NY

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been looking at different threads on this site and researching VS for the NY metro area. I hear alot of opposing comments. Some say VS suck and others beleive it's the best thing to be invented. My situation is as follows:
    1. I live in NY and commute in the 5 boroughs.
    2. I plan to go on vacation to Vegas and San Deigo(CA) so I need it to work in and on the highways between them
    3. I want to make long distance calls and roam in the above states without additional charges.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

2. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    VS seems to have the areas that you have mentioned covered. VS is solid in NYC and it's looking good in Ca. but in Nevada......maybe someone esle has some info.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

its good in NY metro areas and sucks in NY rural areas. If you want an unbiased view.

4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Voicestream is NOT for you. You would want a Cingular nation or Verizon America's choice plan. You will want the most coverage available for those long drives (you mention highways, so I suppose you'll be driving?). Verizon or Cingular.

5. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Airb330, how can you even mention Cingular? It was just released in NYC last month and is sharing Voicestreams network, you will get almost identical coverage with Voicestream and Cingular... I would say go with Verizon.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I have to say that VS and At&T are my only 2 choices. These are the plans that are cheap enough for me to use since i get a special discount with them that i don't with any other carrier.

7. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If you look on the maps, VS has coverage in the areas stated originally (Vegas-->San Diego, and throughout NYC). For what was listed in the original post, coverage is not an issue. The only potential issue is roaming coverage in CA/NV, but the poster didn't specifically mention other cities.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

matt,

what is your experience with VS?

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Cingular has night minutes while VS does'nt.

10. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    In regards to this topic, my experience with VS in the "NYC Metro area" is pretty much all in northern NJ - Passaic, Bergen, Hudson counties.....it's been fine there. I don't live there, but travel often as it's where my in-laws live......

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Some say Voicestream sucks because if a call is dropped before the first minute when you are trying to make a call it is subtracted from your alloted minutes.

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'd say go with Verizon. Then you won't have to be all the time relying on maps to find out if you'll get coverage. No matter where you go, you just have coverage. However, if you go with the American Choice plan, don't forget to always pay attention to the phone display or you'll get zapped with roaming charges even if you are within the Am. Choice areas.

13. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

For Voicestream / T-mobile

Coverage in Las Vegas and Las Vegas -> LA / San Diego is solid.

Coverage in NYC seems to be good (report from a close friend who lives in Queens and works in Manhattan -- he dropped att for voicestream)

Voicestream rate plans are comparably cheap and include roaming and long distance

I think Anon could go with VS without hesitation

C.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you so much for your comment cali. What phone do you suggest i get? I also hear that T-mobile is comming to NY area(do you know when?)...should I wait for that or get VS now?

15. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Oops I forgot Cingular is GSM in NY city, don't have to freak out on me dobby!! [​IMG] I would recommend Verizon then. The guy mentioned he would be driving there ( between SAN/LAS) But if he only gets a discount with VS, or ATT. Then I would recommend ATT, they have much more coverage than VS. If you get a discount with ATT, get them, if not get Verizon. I am so tired of people pushing T-Mobile/Voicestream here. It's getting very annoying. If I were you anon. I would go with ATT, they have much better coverage (since you get a discount).

16. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Airb330, sorry, this heat is getting to me.

17. CaliphoniaBoy

CaliphoniaBoy Senior Member

I am so tired of people pushing T-Mobile/Voicestream here.

sorry Airb330... I hope you don't mean me... if you read any of my posts you should realize that I try to be carefull about my recommendations. However, from what Anon asked and described I think I can really recommend VS esp for their rate plans which include roaming and LD. I think VS is a cheap option for him which gives him everything he needs. Just saying "Verizon" because the have the largest national coverage is not always the best answer, esp. because Anon stated that he wanted to drive from LV to SD and not from NYC to SD...

---

Anon: I use the Motorola P-280. It's not the most stylish phone but it works really well :)

C.

18. Guest

Guest Guest

VS is the best.... best customer service, with unlimited weekends, and 48 states digital roaming at no charge, along with usual free long distance

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    48 states? sounds like pretty good coverage. Unfortunately, I couldn't find 48 states covered in their map. Perhaps you can help me find that coverage. I wonder how their coverage is in states like West Virginia, Maine, Arkansas, Montana and Wyoming just to name a few.

http://www.t-mobile.com/images/maps/national_us/national_us_lg.jpg

20. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Voicestream (T-Mobile) doesn't have a presence in all 50 states, but does have a presence in 41 states.
    Man there are more Voicestream (T-Mobile) supporters here thahn I though. I thought there were only a few that like Voicestream like I do, but I see there are more. I do see that there are still a couple of Voicestream (T-Mobile) haters on the forum though. I won't call any names.

Ok, phones. Well, Voicestream (T-mobile) has a wide variety of phones. It all just depends on how much you want to spend on a phone, and what you want to use the phone for. When I say "what you want to use the phone for," I mean do you want internet-capabilities on it, do you just want to make and receive phone calls, do you want to use it all across the world, many questions for you to answer, and then we can bive you a better idea of what phone to get. There are also many phones that can be used with Voicestream (T-Mobile), but are not carried by Voicestream (T-Mobile). Once you give us a few more details about what you want to use your phone for, then I we can provide you with those phones.

21. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, there is some coverage in Montana now according to someone in howardforums. just in some of the citied, and I'm too tired to look right now [​IMG]

also, there's a new GSM company launching called West Virginia Wireless. gsmworld map and their website.

22. Guest

Guest Guest

They don't use cell phones in Wyoming. Their mode of communication are smoke signals.

23. Guest

Guest Guest

Do you know if they will offer night minutes?

24. aiwapro

It is still unknown whether they will ofer night minutes nationwide. They are currently testing the Unlimited night minutes in Chicago and Milwaukee. After that testing period is over with, then I guess we will know.

25. Airb330

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    California, no I didn't mean you, you always give good honest info. Dobby, yes I know what you mean! it was 99 here in Delaware yesterday, then add the humidity, etc, it felt like 107! Well still between the choices, I would take ATT just for the largest footprint, but it's not like T-Mobile/VS would be a bad choice. I just think ATT would be better if he can get a discount on it.

26. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's a nice and fair way to put it Airbus.

27. Guest

Guest Guest

In Arkansas they never heard of cell phones, so you have to bring coins for the rotary pay phones.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream don't have rural coverage and analog backup. I think because their phones are 1900 Mhz single mode only.

29. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    It's because they decided to stay digital only.

30. aiwapro

They do have some rural coverage, just not alot.