Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Voicestream in Buffalo - Rollout Progress?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by jason, Jan 30, 2002.

1. jason

jason Member

Has any anyone heard anything about a startup for the Rochester/Buffalo Voicestream network?

When I asked customer service, they said that (and I'm not kidding) "Well, the reason you probably don't have any reception up there is all the power plants up there. You know, they generate a lot of power up in that part of the world." I just laughed - where do they get these people?

jason

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Sounds like you were talking to Florida. That is Voicestreams worst calling center, remember their the ones that couldn't find the hole. The best in my opinion is Bethlaham PA. I always get good results there. I would give voicestream a call back or talk to a dealer in your area.

3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jason,

I asked that exact question to a VS rep who trolls the yahoo finance board - I'll let you know if he replies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

[​IMG]Text I think Voicestream will have coverage in Buffalo/Rochester by 2004 [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There is now limited coverage in Rochester! A user reported it last night here

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

He may have used his other phone; since all the other carrier have service in this area...[​IMG]

7. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I read a late-2001 press release that Voicestream was going to spend alot of money building up that area of New York. Maybe they put the money in another part of the state, or they have built the network up in that area and just haven't launched it.

8. jason

jason Member

I was in Rochester again several weeks ago. I can confirm GSM Voicestream Coverage in Rochester NY. Coverage is laughably poor with something like 3 or 4 sites covering the metro area. If you are interested, I posted a more detailed coverage report on USENET.

AT&T has many more sites up and running and is definitely further along in construction than Voicestream.

My bet is that this is some sort of "license saver" operation that will enable VS to keep their license for this area. The level of service in Rochester presently isn't nearly as good as the Cleveland operation (small as it is).

jason

9. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I saw your review on usenet. Acutally, it is VS policy only to light up a limited number of sites for roaming use only, until the launch. The Cleveland towers have been up since december. All 22 of them. But we should not expect to see ANY more until the actual day of the launch. This comes from an engineer I know who is building them. This is the same as New Orleans launch was last year. Someone (Don Newcomb from usenet) was there the day before (maybe 2 days) and had nothing except for the same roaming towers. On Monday, it was all up. Not that I agree with it, but that's just how it seems to be......

So you can't judge contsruction, at least VS, by the number of sites.

10. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    matt

is there anyway that you can get me some more info on the voicestream rollout in cleveland. Aiwapro was able to use his voicestream phone in downtown cleveland (his home market is toledo) also they are supposed to have close to 300 towers in the area.
    my main questions

Is September still the tenitive date?
    Does the engineer that you know have a map of all the voicestream towers and will there be service all down I71 to connect cleveland to columbus

Very interested to know more.

Hope you can help

Jack

P.S. On a side note I wonder what cell services the engineers etc are using

11. aiwapro

P.S. On a side note I wonder what cell services the engineers etc are using

Great question.

12. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jack - I'll ask and let you know what I hear. The Engineer I email with uses VS - he is currently testing 6310i I think, recently had Samsung r225 for a while.

13. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Let me add I'm sure he has access to the tower locations, but doubt he'd be able to share that info. I'll ask about the I-71 coverage. The 300 number is correct for the rollout.

14. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jack - I-71 will be covered as part of the Cleveland buildout. Erie is part of the Cleveland buildout, but may not be ready at the same time. I've also heard that the soft launch will hopefully be much than originally planned, but I don't know if I can share that or not. But it's good news nonetheless.

15. aiwapro

Do don't have to give details, but when you say "much than originally planned;" Do you mean that alot was originally planned or that alot wasn't originally planned.

16. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    OOPS! I missed a word, "earlier" - corrected version is:

"I've also heard that the soft launch will hopefully be much earlier than originally planned, but I don't know if I can share that or not."

I can't say anything else. sorry. There are no guarantees - it's "hopefully" [​IMG]

17. aiwapro

That sounds alot better, you don't have to say anything else. I understand it now.

18. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Matt

Please find out if you can share that information.

are we talking soon or really soon

Jack

19. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jack, I cannot say. Sorry. It's not tomorrow, (wow- already May!) but it's not September either. Perhaps (probably) as it gets closer I'll be able to say, but since the date is not confirmed (they might not be ready in time - trying to get all the equipment in place) I have to keep quiet.

20. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Jack, here's some more info from usenet (this is 100% reliable info, if you know what I mean [​IMG] )

Date: Today, 6:53 AM
    Also Posted To: alt.cellular.attws
    In Response To: Re: Cleveland OH AWS/VST GSM Trip Report Yesterday, 9:44 PM by dr_rags
    Top Message: Cleveland OH AWS/VST GSM Trip Report Sunday, 11:39 PM by Jason

Well, your close, there are 32 sites on the air in Cleveland,
    Voicestream sites I mean to say. In the next 30 days you will see
    another 70 or so go on, the sites are built as far as the civil's are
    concerned, just waiting on site base station's to be delivered from
    Nokia.....