Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

voicestream gsm phone looking to move to cingular in NJ

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by dougc, Aug 21, 2002.

1. dougc

dougc New Member

Hello,
    Brand new to the forums, like all the great info I've read.
    I have a voicestream gsm phone (I think) 8290 I got from ebay, not sure
    if it was unlocked, it has voicestream printed at the bottom of the phone. I have a VS sim card in it now. First, can I
    move to cingular and just get their SIM card in NJ?
    Second I just looked at the new plans for cingular and like the forums
    are saying, the national plan took away the night and weekend minutes.
    The best buy dealer said they are going to re-instate them in Sept.
    Best buy has a nice deal on the Moto V60 50$ after rebate. I am
    looking for a share plan for my wife and I with national coverage and cingular seemed to have the best signal around here, but there national
    plan seemed to go down the tubes. Is AT&T with the good deal on the
    V60 I read about a better choice? I don't leave my home area much, but
    when I do, I don't want to worry about racking up large roaming minutes.
    Any suggestions very much appreciated. Verizon wasn't offering much of a deal on the phone

2. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Depends where you live if you can get Cingular GSM. Cingular uses the VS network in NYC and NJ, so your coverage won't be any different. Plans can be compared of course. Also, if you live outside of northern NJ you woult get Cingular TDMA, which the 8290 won't work. (I don't know the exact counties, but they might be listed at this page will list the valid NJ counties for GSM.)

Don't take what Best Buy told you. They don't know - no matter what the carrier. The Cingular plans just changed last week.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dougc

dougc New Member

I live in central NJ, and the voicestream coverage in buildings and
    in a lot of areas is terrible, but it sounds like cingular GSM uses
    the same towers. Folks I work with that have cingular and verizon both get great reception in the building. So would they not have GSM phones.
    They have the nokia 8260, moto V60 and moto star tac

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yep - you are Cingular TDMA in that area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. dougc

dougc New Member

So,
    I'm looking for a recommendation on what service to go to since my
    voicestream is terrible. Cingular, Verizon or AT&T. I was thinking I would like a
    nationwide plan even though we travel out of NJ only a few times a
    month. I was also considering a family plan since we have three phones in the family, two are already on cingular. If the cingular plans hadn't changed for the worse it would be a no brainer. I'm also looking at the discounts being given on the Moto V60. Best buy has the
    final cost at 50$ for cingular and I think AT&T was giving it away. Verizon had
    it at about 180$.The verizon nationwide plan was pretty good. In a family plan, do you have to buy the phones at retail after the first line?
    Thanks for any hel

6. Guest

Guest Guest

In what specific areas of Central NJ is your VoiceStream coverage "horrible"?

Thanks,

Szymon

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Any areas far from highways and far from urban areas have less than desired coverage with Voicestream.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I was looking for specific areas, because I used to live in Central NJ and am familiar with which providers have good coverage in specific cities.

I also know the locations of most VS towers in the area...

Szymon

9. dougc

dougc New Member

I live in Freehold NJ. Its near major roads and is typical suburbia
    All the other carriers seem to get good coverage in my area. Voicestream
    just does not

10. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If Voicestream's signal is unusable then obviously they are not an option for you. In Freehold, NJ you can get Cingular on their TDMA network, but then you would need to get the 8260, not the 8290 since the 8260 is the TDMA version. Now, Cingular TDMA current plans are probably not for you since you want a national plan. What you can do is wait until September to see what new plans they will come up with, or you may wanna try AT&T since they have the same TDMA coverage as Cingular when using TDMA phones, plus AT&T plans may be better right now.

11. njsvrzncdma

njsvrzncdma i cant stop the ringing..

My Phone:
    LG vx8500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VERIZON
    my wife has cingular gsm which is VS towers. i live in union county and everytime she walks into any house the signal dies. please lets get more towers up people !!!!!!

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, njscngulrgsm, we all know that. Why not move your wife to another technology such as CDMA or TDMA since coverage is less spotty. Also, hopefully AT&T will launch GSM 800 in this area soon since their TDMA system is already on 800Mhz. Most likely south Jersey's Cingular TDMA system will do the same conversion to GSM 800Mhz. The reason I mention that is because those 800Mhz towers are already there and indoor signal penetration is better than carriers using a GSM PCS system (1900Mhz). Apparently, 800Mhz works better for you, so you can either move temporarily to CDMA or TDMA or wait for AT&T GSM rollout in NYC which will include your area.

13. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    Using GSM 800 MHz will require a new phone. Not many of them out yet, but as AT&T and Cingular roll out the GSM 850/800 then I would assume they will start selling 850/1900 GSM Phones.

14. Wildfire

Wildfire New Member

Well the v60g is tri band 800/1800/1900 gsm so that's one phone that would not need to be changed.

15. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm pretty sure the v60 is 900/1800/1900 for use in Europe on 900/1800 and USA on 1900. I don't think any 800 phones for US use are out yet (but there are some that are close.)

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's right Matt, the V60g is GSM/GPRS 900/1800/1900 MHz but some phones have been announced that will be able to use GSM 800Mhz: Ericsson T62u (Cingular), Motorola T720 (AT&T), Motorola C331 (Cingular), Motorola C332 (Voicestream and Cingular - My prediction about Voicestream using 800Mhz is getting some evidence). These haven't been released yet. I am sure that next year we'll see more choices as GSM 800 is deployed. The Motorola C333 was also announced but I don't know which carrier will be selling it.

17. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There's also the nokia 3590 and 6590.

re: VS and 800. VS doesn't own any 800 licenses, so it won't be their own service. They'd have to strike a roaming agreement with an 800 carrier (of which operationally there are none at the moment.) We'll see....VS is fast filling their holes....Buff/Roch and the rest of VA launch (soft) tomorrow.....so VS is now at 200M POPS of branded VS/T-M service, not including roaming agreements!

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes Matt, I agree....they might wanna have the option of GSM 800 in case they want to enter an agreement with someone else. It would be nice if they did. They wouldn't be considering a phone GSM 800 capable if they weren't thinking about an agreement. Thanks for adding those 2 Nokia models, I forgot about Nokia...[​IMG] The 3590 and 6590 will be for AT&T.

19. Mike

Mike Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola RAZR V3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Verizon, Cingular
    According to Phone Scoop the Motorola C331 is TDMA only and the C332 is GSM 800/1900. It has nothing on the C333

It does show the C332 as Tentative for both Cingular and VoiceStream/T-Mobile.

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    There's two versions of the C331. Actually Cingular calls it C331t because it is the TDMA version which they already have available. The GSM version will probably be C331g. The only difference between the C331 and C332 seems to be the shape, but they have the same specs. The C333 is not even in Phonescoop yet. But if my sources are correct it will soon.

21. howiesimpson

howiesimpson New Member

Just curious, but would it not be impossible to have GSM 900 or GSM 1800 deployed in the United States, hence allowing worldband phones to have increased coverage in not only America but everwhere? I mean, its not like the signals are going to interfer with eachother entire continents away. I don't see why the US is bothering to deploy GSM 850 or 800 (I've heard its the same thing) when it could just as easily release 900 service and allow existing dual and triband European phones the ability to work in the US.

22. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    the 900 mhz area is used by home cordless phones.

23. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile