Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

voicestream for my needs, or no?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by mcg, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Base on their own map; I don't know where Voicestream does not have a huge gap in coverage.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

VS has no coverage or limited coverage in the following area:

1. Grand Central Parkway after exit 30-35
    2. Meadowbrook Parkway
    3. Eastern Long Island
    4. New Haven, Ct
    5. Florida (just went on vacation there and could not use my phone to call home at all)
    6. Long Island Expressway (midway through Nassau county)
    7. Merrick Parkway
    8. Southern State Parkway (worst reception if you get through with your calls here)
    9. I work in the city and it is hard to get a reception in a skyscraper.

If you plan on staying close to the city and by that I mean the 5 boroughs, then VS is the way to go.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

BTW, AT&T's $35 is much more economically.

With that national plan you get:

300 + 200 additional anytime minutes
    3000 night and weekend minutes (9 P.M. to 5:59 a.m. every day)
    no long distance or roaming charges

My $39.99 VS only gives me:

600 anytime minutes
    No night minutes
    2500 Weekend Minutes
    My calling area is only limited to the east coast as well

IMO AT&T gives you more for you money than VS and their service is far superior.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream should start offering Nightime Minutes. I'm really seing better deals with other carriers.

5. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

avoid voicestream at all cost. Go with the bigger better companies. Verizon or sprint are far better choices. Instead of dealing with all the calling areas yadda yadda. Why not just get sprint and use it anywhere on the sprint network? Much simpler. Only time you ever pay roaming with sprint is if there is no sprint tower around you. i could be in new york, or california, and it would just take off my minutes.

6. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Bobolito,
    Where I am alot of people have trouble with Cingular. A friend of mine from home(who also attends the same college as me) has all sorts of trouble with her Cingular service in the Farmington Valley area(she can't get any service inside my house in Simsbury while my Verizon phone gets full strentgh 99% of the time) and out at UConn in Storrs. I can see that Cingular has fine coverage on major highways and in urban areas but if you get out to more suburban or rural area(and Storrs is pretty rural) then you run into problems. In any case, that's cool that Cingular is working well for you. I must admit that my perception of Cingular is somewhat jaded by my buddy's horrible reception

7. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    No doubt Verizon has superior coverage.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's not a current VS rate plan, as you can get unlimited weekends and free nationwide LD and roaming for the same price.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

That's the old plan. Voicestream plans are inconsistent. They are not the same and varies by their region: northeast region, central region western region, nothing is the same.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

oh yeah?

sprintpcs-sucks.org/

11. SprintTechRep

SprintTechRep Senior Member

LOL, ive actually come across many of those sites before. Every provider has one. Very entertaining to surf those sites when im bored at work. But i stand by previous statement. sprint / verizon are probably the best in terms of nation wide coverage. If people complain, its probably because they live in the boonie's. (or they get cheap phones that get no reception)

12. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Everyone I know who has Sprint seems very happy with it. Two friends of mine have it and are quite pleased, and one has had it for roughly two years now. Every provider is gonna have people that have a bad experience, don't base your decision on a Provider X Sucks site.

13. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I saw the sprintpcs-sucks.org site and they mention different cities, but I was looking for New York for any complaints. I bet they can't say anything about NYC or did I miss it?
    Is there a Cingular sucks site? if anyone has an address, I'd like to take a look. These sites are quite amusing.
    If I were to create a website like this, I would create one for Paypal.

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  15. nester

nester New Member

Already been done... [​IMG] I have never had a problem with PayPal myself but based on the severity of the problems people have when they do... I certainly hope I never have trouble with them...

There shouldn't be too many "Cingular sucks" sites... because it doesn't... The only places I get weak signal seem to be places where even Verizon users have trouble...

If I could just get onto a Nation plan without giving up my unlimited text messaging and unlimited N&W I'd be in heaven... They said you have to give up unlimited mobile-to-mobile, but I know someone who switched to National and still has it... and I heard once the new computers are in place we'll be on the updated billing system and also CS reps will be better able to hook us up... but that last part is just a rumor. [​IMG]

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Nester,

The new billing system is already in place. All they did was to transfer our billing processing to North Carolina where they already have the new system where you can check your minutes online and all. When your August bill comes in you'll see the difference. Our bills will no longer be processed in New Brunswick anymore. When I went to the Nation plan I lost my unlimited Mobile to Mobile which I didn't care since I don't use it anyway. I also lost unlimited Nights and weekends but with 3500 minutes for n&w it seems unlimited anyway. What surprises me is how you have unlimited SMS when they have never had such an offer as far as I know.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

If the SprintPCS network coverage is not good, you should be able to talk no matter what your phone is and where your calling from. Your job is tech support. Do your job. I believe it is not part of your job training to belittle others - like owning cheap phones with SprintPCS logo on it. If it is a "cheap phone that get no reception," don't sell it then.

My experience with SprintPCS:
    Good reception if you are near SprintPCS store or major airport.
    Got top of the line phone and no reception. - "Can you hear me now?"
    Spotty coverage - "101 Dalmatians" or "swiss cheese"
    useless web site (takes forever to get one thing - payment via web - improved after many suggestions and complaints)
    I should have used the land-line to call customer service - sorry I was using SprintPCS in the spotty coverage zone.
    If you can not cover the whole nation, it should not be called nation-wide network.

-my2cents

18. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I hate to disagree with anonymous last statement. If we require to cover the whole nation before calling it national plan, then the US will never have such a plan. Not even analog technology, which covers more area than anything else, covers all states completely.

19. nester

nester New Member

well, I look forward to the new bill, that's for sure... the old one was so cunfusing I'm not sure I ever really understood it or if I was just fooling myself [​IMG]

As for SMS, I think it might have just been some kind of hookup... I was on the 200min/$30 plan and I upgraded to 400min/$40 (at the time) and I got them to throw in the N&W and paid $5/mo for "text messaging". When I upgraded to 600min/$50 with unlimited N&W and free LD, I asked about SMS and they said they could throw it in for free for 6 months. The next time I was talking to a CS rep (about a problem paying my bill I think) I confirmed what my plan was and mentioned the 6 months thing and he said "I just changed that to be for the life of your plan" and I've had free unlimited SMS ever since. Since I upgraded to the StarTAC I've been able to send and receive SMS and I have never seen anything besides "Text Messsaging $5" followed by "Free Text Msg -$5" (in the fashion of the old bill... let's see what it looks like next month). I believe that my free SMS is totally unique and you could probably only get it if you talk to the right people... I guess I just got lucky... I hope that guy still has his job [​IMG]

20. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hehe, well good for you. You can call and ask if you can keep unlimited SMS if changing to the national plan. It doesn't hurt to ask. About the old bill, no its not you, the bill is confusing. I always had to struggle to find what I was looking for in it. About time they changed that.

21. Guest

Guest Guest

What skyscraper are you taking about? I always had good coverage in the 5 boroughs? Where in Florida? It worked in Disneyworld. I did not see any problem in LIE.

22. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The Anonymous poster(s) are starting to get very annoying with the way they constantly post using quotes, not to mention typing in all caps sometimes. Using full quotes is not always necessary and makes the threads too long. Many of their posts are also not very helpful. Just my 2 cents.

23. TampaTrev

TampaTrev Junior Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM 9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

24. TampaTrev

TampaTrev Junior Member

My Phone:
    Audiovox CDM 9900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    While I agree with you, Larry (as I quote you!), that so much of this quoting back-and-forth is just nonsense, it's also true that in some threads containing multiple posts identified only as "Anonymous," quoting a prior posting is the only way to be clear to what or whom we're responding as we try to further a discussion. As has been mentioned in another thread, perhaps users should not be allowed to post anonymously. Just my 3 cents.

25. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes I agree. I would like to only see registered users post. The Anonymous posters are the main cause of the problems on these forums.

26. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If we keep talking about the anonymous posters, we might eventually accomplish their removal. How about addressing matters directly to the webmaster?

27. Guest

Guest Guest

so what's the best deal here?

28. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I am sure you will have a good experience with Sprint or Verizon in this area. (NYC)