Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

voicestream for my needs, or no?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by mcg, Jul 25, 2002.

1. mcg

mcg New Member

hey...i currently have a verizon plan, and its not really cutting it for me. i use it all times - day, night, weekend...and i go to college in boston while my home is in the hudson valley in NY...so those are the two place i need the best coverage. its seems that the plan that voicestream has with 500 weekday/night and unlimited weekend minutes seems good...as i am a college student, i am talkative and poor, lol. can anyone help me figure out the best plan for me? id be really appreciative...thanks!
    ~mcg
    (dj_mcg@lycos.com)

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream does not have Night minutes so you might want to consider that. And there's always a problem with their billing. Most VS customer i know still averages at $300/month.

3. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've had VS for 2.5 years, and had one billing problem in May that was immediately correct. They gave me a little too much credit (ssshhh) so my June bill was a little lower than it should have been [​IMG] I'm paying $70/mo.

Between my friends and family, I know over a dozen subscribers to VS, and their length of service now ranges from one to three years. I've heard of one other billing problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    They do have nights in some areas.

For you the best plan would be the 3000 anytime minute plan(voicestream) $59.99

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Guest

Guest Guest

BUT THIS IS ONLY A REGIONAL PLAN AND THERE ARE ROAMING/LONG DISTANCE CHARGES.

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, but that region goes from Norhtern Virginia all the way into New England. It is free roaming and LD within that area.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

there's no Analog roaming and no Night Minutes. Canada option either which you can get from ATT Wireless.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I too am a college student and I signed up for VoiceStream coverage and it was the biggest mistake. I live Long Island, NY. First it took about a week for VoiceStream to activate my phone. It worked well for the first month or so with the occasional dropped calls here and there. But after a couple months I had no service in my area (not even at my house) or anywhere I drove to. On the rare times that the service did work I got a network connection error or the clarity was really distorted.

On top of that VoiceStream does nothing to rectify this matter. I know quite a few people apart from myself who are currently having trouble with VoiceStream in the NY area. When I called VS with my complaints they told me it was the phone and they even told me that they would send me a free phone (just like the one I had--a Motorola V60). After 2 weeks of waiting I called them back and complained that I had not yet received the phone nor was I getting service. They told me that the phone was at my neighborhood post office and that I would have to pay them $140 for the new phone. Upon hearing that I asked if the new phone gave me problems if I would be eligible for a refund and was told in no uncertain terms that if the phone did not work that is not there problem. I told them that I would pick up the phone from the post office because there is no point. I demanded to cancel my contract with stipulates in writing that I could do so after 6 months without penalty and was told that I had to pay $200 (now this is 9 months after I signed my contract) as a cancellation fee. I then asked for a credit since the service has been nonexistent for the past 2 weeks and I was told that I do have service I receive just one call a month. SO here I am with a useless phone and service that I have to pay $49.99 a month for and on top of that I now have another cell phone contract with Verizon (which in my opinion is the best one out there--I tried them all).

VS customer service is rude and they don't care about your complaints. VS as a company does not care about their customers and it is obvious from your interactions with them. They are the most unprofessional and unethical company that I have ever dealt with. VS is only interested in making money or rather stealing their customers money because the customers are not getting what they paid for. My problem with VS is common. There are many sites on the web where there are tons of complaints against VS. For me, it's not over because I will call the FCC and take action against VS, because what they have done to myself and other customers is unfair and illegal.

9. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    this happens with all providers. i have VS for a little over a year and I never got the run around. it's unfortunate that this did happend but you'll get that with every provider. keep reading the boards you'll see . It's either Verizon sucks, AT&T sucks, VS sucks and on and on. heres a link Verizon

I would be upset too if I were in your shoes.

10. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    If you want the best coverage in New England go with Verizon . Voicestreams coverage is very spotty, I tried them in april and wasn;t impressed!

11. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

Is it me, or do these anonymous posters always have horror stories of the provider that we are tlkaing about, no matter what provider it is.

12. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Translation:
    I am NOT glad to see another unhappy Voicestream customer.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

First of all, my complaint is true and the only reason I chose to respond to this topic was because I do not want someone else to be in the position that I am in. Voicestream might be good and fine in your area but where I live and the surrounding area the service is horrible. Honey, you might not believe my story but quite frankly do you think someone can make up a story like that. Please.

Note: For all of you who are thinking of getting VoiceStream, please read the back of the contract where it states that "service and coverage areas which are specified by a VoiceStream representative are not guaranteed."

And for the other person who says that that is case with other providers as well, I beg to differ. I have had service with AT&T and Verizon in the past and had no problems with their service. I was able to travel outside NY as well as anywhere in the state and still have service. With Voicestream I can't get service 2 minutes away from my residence or even at my home. God forbid that my car breaks down or I get into an accident and I need to call someone I would have to go find the nearest gas station because the phone just would not work.

Why should I just cut my loses and let this unprofessional company get away with this. Let me inform you, in NY on the news there is a segment called the problem solvers and it seems that quite a few VoiceStream customers have the same problem i have and VS would not let them out of their contract or refund their money until they approached by this news crew. My story is true and there are quite a few other unsatisfied VS customers out there who are stuck with a phone and service that does not work.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

15. Guest

Guest Guest

YOU MAY WANT TO CONTACT "CONSUMER AFFAIRS" IN YOUR STATE AND THE PUC (PUBLIC UTILITES COMMISSION)

16. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Not trying to justify Voicestream but ALL service providers state in their contracts that service and coverage areas are not guaranteed.

17. Guest

Guest Guest

TRUE BUT VOICESTREAM COVERAGE IS A FAR CRY FROM VERIZON'S DIGITAL COVERAGE AND I'M NOT TAKING ANALOG BACKUP. MY VERIZON PHONE IS LOCK TO "DIGITAL ONLY" AND IT HAS COVERAGE ANYWHERE AS LONG AS IT'S NOT INDOOR. i HAVE YET TO A NO SIGNAL, EVEN WHEN THERE ARE NO SIGNAL BAR I CAN STILL MAKE A CALL.
    SO HOW LONG DO YOU THINK VOICESTREAM CAN EQUAL THIS? MY BEST GUESS IS WHEN THEY MERGE OR BE BOUGHT BY EITHER ATT OR CINGULAR. if not it will be snail speed.

18. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    I've had no first hand experience with Voicestream but it is generally understood that their coverage is iffy outside of urban areas. Having said that, I'd imagine their coverage in Boston is probably quite good. Verizon has great coverage everywhere I've been in Southern New England so that's another option to look into. I'd say try it and if the service stinks you probably have a 1-2 week grace period. If it works well stick with it, if not drop them like a bad habit [​IMG] Also, I agree, you hear horror stories with every provider so I wouldn't let that sway you too too much.

19. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

I have Voicestream and I tried it on a long rural road one day out to Vineland, NJ one day.......NO Service!! Then tried my Nextel phone......no Signal........finally got my Verizon phone to work......... can you hear me? can you hear me now?

20. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    LOL

Jack

21. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    For a long time, I've been trying to find a road in NJ where Cingular has no service and I have been unsuccessful. Can anyone help?....lol

22. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Can't think of one in Jersey but if you want to drive to Connecticut I can think of plenty [​IMG]

23. Guest

Guest Guest

IF THEY HAVE NO COVERAGE IN YOU HOME THEY SHOULD ALLOW YOU TO CANCELL YOUR CONTRACT WITHOUT TERMINATION FEES.
    [​IMG]

24. RBOCMAN

RBOCMAN Junior Member

These Verizon fanatics really are amusing. They suffer from primal GSM envy which is equally amusing. I can wait for Cingular to trump your subscriber advantage or for another one your landline home states to sue back into regulatory hell.

Amongst all all LEC RBOC's, Verizon reports the lowest consumer satisfaction(it even beats SBC-Ameritech) and its no wonder your wireless division sports the anthem "Our competitors suck cause they dont have analog".

Too bad they are so rapped up in Analog that they forget to see the big picture of standardizing the US for a digital millenium.

25. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    rbocman, it;s obvious by your comments you don;t know how bad gsm coverage is around here ,it sucks! so live with it . I tried voicestream back in april ,what a waste of time! Im sure their coverage in other areas is decent but in New England, Verizons (digital coverage) is the dominant one here.

26. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think RBOCMAN suffers from the ASCAS disease (Aiwapro Superiority Complex & Attitude Syndrome).

27. RBOCMAN

RBOCMAN Junior Member

Hahaha....Nice One.....Once Cingular goes GSM, you'll realise what its like......Thanks for being a Cingular customer, its contributes in some small way to my salary.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

Voicestream does not have Night Minutes.[​IMG]

29. RBOCMAN

RBOCMAN Junior Member

IL and WI markets do. There is speculation that this will go national if demand generates enough revenue.

30. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Dave (mooby): I've driven many places in CT both rural and urban including the mountains and my phone has not been out of service: All of Merrit Pkwy, Rt. 15 from I-91 to Merrit Pkwy, Rt. 8 from I-84 to I-95, Rt. 6 from Hartford to Rhode Island, all of I-84, I-95, I-395 and I-91, not to mention inside towns like Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford, Stamford and some others. Maybe I haven't discovered those plenty of roads you are talking about.

However, my phone did went out of service one time just crossing the NY/CT border from Merrit Parkway to the Hutchinson for about a minute. I believe that was because of the delay to change from the system "b" back to "a".