Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Voicestream etc in Boston

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 27, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm going to be moving to the Boston area in August, and am trying to figure out the best way to reduce my phone and internet costs. I'm thinking to use the phone line in my apartment just for dial-up internet, and then get a wireless phone as my main telephone.

I've never owned a wireless phone before. Right now, I live in Montclair, NJ and my boss has a Voicestream phone that she says works perfectly for her. Of course this is a completely different area, but she was going to take me to her Voicestream store to look at phones and plans this week, and I wanted to know if it would work for me in Boston.

I would be living on Beacon St, west of the BU College of Communication building (which is where I'll be taking classes), about 20 minutes to walk from the campus.

Can anyone tell me if this is a practical idea? I.e., would the phone be crystal clear from my apartment, and would it actually be cost-effective to manage my bills this way?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I can't tell you about coverage in Boston but I can tell you to be careful with Voicestream plans as they don't give you off-peak night minutes. They only give you unlimited weekends (Saturday and Sunday only). They can give you more anytime minutes than anyone else but with no off-peak minutes for monday-friday nights they'll run out before you know it. Of course, that really depends on how you use the phone.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
  5. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Give me some BREW for them beans w/ VZW!

6. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would consider getting and using your wireless phone for all your long distance calls because most plans offer free long distance

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think Verizon should consider offering a plan for home phones where for a flat fee you get unlimited long distance across the US. I am about to cancel my home phone because I really don't use it anymore because my cellphone is not only cheaper but more convenient. I am sure a lot of people out there are thinking about doing the same.

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    AT&T has a long distance plan on landlines. I believe its $19.95 a month and it allows you to call AT&T Residential Long Distance subscribers as much as you want. It's called the AT&T Unlimited Plan and I will give you a link below for details about it.

AT&T Unlimited Plan

9. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

I also can't really tell you about Boston, but I can tell you that Voicestream has been good for me going on two (2) years now.

They are currently testing out UNLIMITED nights in Chicago and Milwaukee, and hopefully they will bring it everywhere.

10. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Verizon seems to work very well in Boston. I used my FreeUp phone on my way to Fenway and it worked quite well. My buddy is living up in Boston this summer and he has a Verizon AC plan and a Motorola V120C. He has been quite happy with the service. My other friend was using his Cingular phone when we were up there and it seemed to work well too.

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Aiwapro, if Voicestream starts unlimited nights and weekends everywhere they will be my next choice after Cingular.

12. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    TNDan21, that AT&T plan has some catches. Not all calls are unlimited. You have to call another AT&T customer for the call to be unlimited. Otherwise, its 7 cents/mminute. That may end up being more expensive than many other plans out there when you add the $19.95.
    I was talking about a plan that works like cell phones where it's REALLY unlimited to anyone in the US.

13. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Ture I know that you can find some smaller companies that will offer promotions for home use that for say $10 you get XXXX number of minutes of long distance calling

Jack