Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

voicestream data

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 11, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

does anyone know if voicestream offers data services through gsm? i know they have gprs data services called istream but i prefer not to pay my connection by the megabyte.

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    aiwapro can get this one. but I dont think that they do

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

hmm... i was under the impression that all GSM networks have circuit switch data services of up tp 9.6kpbs. can anyone say for sure?

4. Apoc

Apoc Senior Member

Well GSM is the connection for GPRS and T-Mobile has it available it all there markets but its like 15-25Mbs.

5. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

It is only available through GPRS. It is also only available at a charge per MB. However, it is not ery expensive, depending what you want to use the data for. Will it be through you phone, PDA, or you laptop? The data rate plans for the phone are really cheap. Here are the data rate plans:
    Voicestream ISTREAM plans

Also, ISTREAM averages about 40kbps per user, advertises 56kbps, but has been tested with at up to 100kbps.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

anon, don't listen to these guys, you CAN use circuit-switched data with voicestream to connect to your own ISP. i recommend getting the nokia 8290, it has a built in modem that connects to your laptop's infrared port. although the max speed is only 9.6kbps, it sure beats paying $5/megabyte using istream gprs.

-eric

7. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    yes you can use CSD, it takes minutes out of your regular bucket. I think the max speed might be 14.4 but I don't use it so I am not sure....

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. aiwapro

So how does this work, does the laptop make the phone dial to the ISP and connect that way? I know a friend who wants to get Voicestream and have data-capabilities on her laptop too. She needs it to take classes online. What do you all recommend?

9. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

taking classes at sub 10k/sec would probably be fruitless.

tell her to sit at home and get cable or dsl access.

10. aiwapro

11. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Is that card using istream aiwapro, does it take away from package minutes

Jack

12. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The link aiwapro provided goes to the GPRS/istream card. It does not take out of your minutes - it is GRPS. You need to add an iStream plan - it is billed by the kB

13. aiwapro

The card can be used on the iSTREAM-GPRS (preferred), but can also be used on the regular GSM network at a slow speed of 14.4kbps. Here is the quote from the site: "Transparent and non-transparent Circuit Switched Data over GSM networks to 14.4 kbps"

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    with istream you have a specific ammonunt of data time that you buy what about minutes if you DO NOT use the istream services

Jack

15. aiwapro

I'm not exactly for sure how they charge when you use data without the iSTREAM service, but I'm pretty that it will just deduct from you minutes. That is the only way that they could charge you. Their only data rate plans are for iSTREAM-only. Also, over the year that I have been with them, they have never had any other extras or anything that you can add to your account for it, so I am assuming that it will just deduct from your minutes just like a normal voice-call.

16. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    interesting. istreams would be the better choice because it is quicker

Jack