Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Voicestream Coverage Issue

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by cmo429, Jul 6, 2002.

1. cmo429

cmo429 New Member

I will be moving away for college in about a month or two and I was wondering if I will be able to get Voicestream service at Frostburg State Univ. in Frostburg, MD 21532? If anyone can help please email me at: cmo429@msn.com

2. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Your best bet would be to call Voicestream and tell them you're re-locating to that area and if they don't have coverage, they should let you out of your contract. From looking at the GSM national map, there doesn't seem to be much coverage in MD. I-70 and I-71 appear to be covered, but not too far off either interstate until you hit DC. Matt might have some info as he does live in the DC area. Maybe he knows more than I do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I don't see that city on VoiceStream's list of Digital Roaming avaible for Maryland. Also I went to Let*Talk.com and plugged in the zip code you gave in your post and its only popping up 2 carriers which are Nextel and US Cellular. My guess is there is no GSM coverage in that city.

4. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I don't think that there is coverage, but I will try and check. You should call VS or if you are in the DC/MD area, visit a VS store since the employees there sometimes have lists of local areas that are or aren't covered.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. scarman

scarman New Member

Yes there is limited coverage in Frostburg and Cumberland Md mainly along I-68 and Rt. 40

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for the update scarman. Are you a DC metro area user too?

7. scarman

scarman New Member

No, I work for Voicestream/T-Mobile (old Pcs One)!

8. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

Scarman.....I have a question regarding Voicestream....when I upgrade to a better phone, do Isend back the old phone to Voicestream or am I stuck with this 3390 hunk of junk? And how far into a one year contract do I have to go before I can upgrade? Cound you find out these things for me? Thanks!

9. zeeker

zeeker Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8800
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Cingular
    VS won't give you anything for it. Keep it and us it as a back up. I just got my v60g and I always carry in my bag my t193. As long as I have my SIM card then I'm good to go. You can upgrade at any time, remember though you will most likely have to pay full price for the upgraded phone. For ex. v60gs are only free with new contract, to upgrade $250

10. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sell it on eBay and at least you won't loose much.

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    scarman - hmm....I know a few of your colleagues [​IMG]

sweetboxx - You have to be a customer for three months I think to be eligible for handset upgrade discont through VS. The offer is $25, 50, 75 or 100 off the retail price (not the price on the website or in the store.) It depends on how long you have been a customer and your price plan. I think after about one year at 39.99 you get $50 off. For me, after two years at 69.99 family plan I am eligible for $100. I think you can use it every three months but you have to extend or restart your contract each time.

12. cmo429

cmo429 New Member

Frostburg,MD NOW has limited coverage. It all depends on where you are in Frostburg. Luckily, Frostburg State Univ. is right in the middle of a spot of coverage. One of the VS employees I talked to earlier at the mall said I should be OK and that I shouldnt have much trouble getting service.

13. scotty

scotty New Member

The voicestream upgrade program changed, on a rate plan of 40$ or more you will pay 50 dollars more than the activation pricing within the first four months. after the begining of your fifth full biling cicle you will receive the activation price. after ten months you get 25$'s off the activation price. those with less of a rate plan, it is the same except that you will never pay less then the activation price

Activation price is the price VS charges for a phone with activation in retail store. prices are specific to a region. Note: activation prices are signifigently less then what VS pays for the phone from the MFGR. even at act. price + 50 you are paying less than the real value of the phone!