Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Voicestream and State College?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm looking into getting voicestream service in anticipation of the new T-Mobile Sidekick that's coming out. I live in the Philadelphia area and we get coverage here from Voicestream, but I don't know if State College gets any coverage. Seeing as how I spend nine months of the year in State College it's rather important that I get decent service in State College. Does anyone have voicestream service in State College, and if so how good is it? As a side question, has anyone heard anything about the T-Mobile sidekick? I'm wondering how good it's reception is and how well it syncs with a computer, most importantly Mac OS X. Thanks for any help.

2. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

i dont know about their recpetion over there, but I was talking to a voicestream rep and for now they share towers with AT&T. i dont know if that helps you any but that is something to look into. I just got voicestream to give it a try to see how their mobile web and AIM service is.

3. Fudgehammer

Fudgehammer New Member

Skadoo323,
    Would you please come back and post how your experience with AIM turns out?

4. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    When did VS/T-Mo start using AT&T ANYWHERE?

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    SC - I think there might be an implication of sharing tower space. w/AT&T. There is no roaming agreement.

Anonymous - you will be roaming on Conestoga Wireless service (it's free with a national plan) while at PSU and the surrounding area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. DerekJ

DerekJ New Member

Hi Matt, thanks. I've read a lot of your posts regarding the structure of T-Mobile and Connestoga and how that is working out with their roaming agreement and such, but I guess what I'm really asking is if I'll take a hit in call quality by roaming in Connestoage vs being in a native T-mobile area. Also, I'm interested in using some of the features such as wireless internet and email, and I'd like to know if those features are available when roaming in Connestoga.
    Thanks,
    DerekJ

7. Guest

Guest Guest

As far as I remember, all standard phone-based GSM features will work No idea if any data connections will. I'll have to check on whose sharing tower space though. There are many, many AT&T-only locations in downtown state college on campus. I've seen other providers staked out on some of the higher Apartment buildings just off campus though. Other than in town, the cell sites are spread far apart.

AT&T Gets the medal for most sites on campus though...
    42 Beaver Stadium
    44 Heister Hall
    40 Wartik Lab
    41 Allen & Park
    53 Engineering unit E

I've seen a pair of towers with many providers about 4-5 miles west of campus on Atherton.
    I've also climbed Little Flat Mtn., but the only clearly marked equipment cabinet was Verizon, even though there were many more on there plus alot of microwave.

If someone would link me to a photo of a typical Voicestream Antenna panel I will certainly include it in my future searches in State College.

Anonymous: See you in a few weeks... [​IMG]

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Can't find my password at the moment, that last post was from me, RichXKU.

9. Jimmy821

Jimmy821 Member

AT&T on the PSU campus is pretty good. In fact, there is this envelope of REALLY good reception that goes about 5 blocks out from the University. However, once you are past that, the signal drops. I switched my cell phone service because even though I could see the university 1.2 miles line-of-sight away, I couldn't use my cell phone in my apartment. I've also had other signal problems in the 2+ years that I had the phone.

The AT&T service rep explained to me that they were going to put GSM in the State College area in 2-3 years, if that's any help.

James

10. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

Fudgehammer,

finally my web service on my tmobile phone is working. the aol im on it isnt bad, but they only thing i found to be a negative is that for some reason its blocked from accessing hotmail's web site. with voicestream's mobile web you are limited to 500 message or screens. for now i just got the basic plan with the $2.99 mobile web option. I pretty much just wanna see how their mobile web service is. I also got a nextel service with mobile web which is $30 total and with their mobile web its unlimited but i can access both aol and hotmail. still got a few days on the trial period so i am giving both a try.

11. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Derek, as mentioned aboe, standard GSM functionality like SMS and email should work fine. AFAIK, Conestoga does not have GPRS (iStream/T-Mobile Internet) on their network yet, but you could I suppose use your phone as a modem and dial a CSD connection at 14.4kpbs. I don't know how good or bad Conestoga's coverage is up there - haven't traveled to that part of PA.

12. Fudgehammer

Fudgehammer New Member

...with voicestream's mobile web you are limited to 500 message or screens. for now i just got the basic plan with the $2.99 mobile web option. I pretty much just wanna see how their mobile web service is. I also got a nextel service with mobile web which is $30 total and with their mobile web its unlimited but i can access both aol and hotmail. still got a few days on the trial period so i am giving both a try.[/quote]

Skadoo323.
    I am wondering how fast the 500 screen pages (1 MB) would melt away with the AIM updating itself every time a buddy signs on or off in addition to IM'ing buddies. Maybe one can't tell until they get their bill for the overage? LOL. Also does the BuddyList stay current by itself or does one have to manually do something like with the $2.99 500 Text Message option available with the phones with embedded AIM?
    You may email me if you care to. Thanks.
    ALF

13. jason

jason Member

The thing with Conestoga is that you actually can just call them up and ask - I did it awhile back, but didn't write down the locations. I've found most of Conestoga's towers in Reading (Berks) and Schuylkill Counties, but haven't done as much in Centre (its a drive for me.) My recollection is that there is one at a mall, and there is definitely a tower atop Tussey Mountain in SC.

I have found Conestoga's coverage more than servicable given the low population density of the regions it serves. My only travels through Centre county have been along I-80. I will append the site notes of the towers I have logged below.

If you are interested, Conestoga base stations look like a 4 foot high, 1.5 foot deep, and 3 foot wide (very approximate) grey cabinet. They usually have a bright yellow sign saying Conestoga posted on the side of the box.

Bellefonte - Prob Freestg Twr N of I-80 and Slightly E of Exit for PA-26
    Mingoville - Prob twr S of I-80 and S of Snyderstown Rd. Approach via PA-64 and SR1010
    Milesburg - Prob CrownCastle tower W of Exit and S of I-80 N of Moose Run Rd
    Snow Shoe - Prob in Complex S and W of Int of PA-144 and I-80 E of Townsite
    Snow Shoe - Pop W of Town on I-80 - Western Conestoga Tower on I-80

jason

14. jason

jason Member

Hmm - I noticed you had included the bsic numbers for the attws towers in State college.

In the past, I spent more time looking for those sites.

Here is my list of att sites I have recorded in the SID 247. Have you found more sites in this area?

40 State College - Pop at Pugh and College
    42 State College - Pop along Expressway US-322 S of State College
    44 State College - Apts University Drive and College Ave
    50 Boalsburg - Atop Tussey Mtn Ski Area
    51 Lemont - Pop at US-322 and PA-26
    53 State College - Pugh and College
    55 Reedsville - Prob tower atop Mtn E of town with unk access
    56 Bellefonte - PA-26 and I-80
    57 Bellefonte - PA-26 and I-80 - weak pop
    58 Lemont - Pike and PA-26
    61 Lewistown - Prob twr on Blue Mtn - S of town and SW of big bend in 322
    65 Lewistown - N of Walnut St on US-322
    81 Mingoville - Eastern tower in SID on I-80 - Maybe site NW of Millheim

15. RichXKU

RichXKU Once had +5 dBm RSSI

My Phone:
    Motorola i870
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Nextel
  16. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    FYI while you are in Berks county you will use PCSOne/T-Mobile- the two companies overlap there

17. Guest

Guest Guest

I don't think T-Mobile has coverage in State College

18. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I clarified this above:

Does this mean your phone will display T-Mobile? No. Will your phone work? Yes. Will it be free? Yes, if you are on a national plan, or a regional plan that includes PA. If you live in State College, can you sign up for T-Mobile? No.

19. DerekJ

DerekJ New Member

What about ATT? Does ATT offer GSM coverage in State College? I'm wondering if I'd be able to get a T68i and use it in State College. Anyone have any idea?

20. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    no AT&T GSM in State College - they are still working on the big cities....

21. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in State College PA and was hoping to purchase the Ericsson T68 with Voicestream service [I travel quite a bit in the metro areas and want to also be able to use Istream GPRS with my bluetooth PDA].
    However, I became concerned when going to Voicestream's web site, since the closest available city they have for me is Altoona, about 45 miles away, but the same zip code.

If I purchase from the Voicestream web site, should I choose "Altoona"
    as the home city? Will this 45 mile distance from my "true" home cause
    problems at activation time, or create unnnec long distance calls for those in State College trying to contact me?

I was hoping to purchase the phone & plan through Amazon.com (which now
    offers a $200 rebate on the phone using voicestream plan), but State College is not a "permitted" zip code to choose from.

Very disappointing since it is $200 for the same deal.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I simply want to purchase the Voicestream plan with the T68 phone for
    use near home in State College PA but also for travel.

Thank

22. DerekJ

DerekJ New Member

Hey Matt, I was wondering if you know of anywhere I can find a map of AT&T's GSM coverage, or if they have a GSM rollout schedule anywhere?

23. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
  24. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I see there are some areas (NC/SC/E. TN) covered by another carrier. Most likely Cingular. I read that Cingular has an agreement with AT&T to build GSM networks.