Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Samsung Voice to text issue and question

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by kjo, Apr 17, 2015.

1. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cricket
    hello everyone. I haven't been on for a long time. I'm recovering from my 2nd back surgery in a year. I have had a rough couple of years.
    So I have a question regarding my Samsung Galaxy phone. I had it on tmobile prepaid for a long time but about 2 months ago took my device to Cricket. I'm very happy with them and the unlimited talk and text for 25 has been in the long run a good thing since now it's my only phone. Got rid of the home phone.

So my question is this. Talk to text doesn't work unless my wifi is connected. I don't have data on my phone. Because I have an iPod touch and wifi is enough for me. On my Apple iPad and iPod I can tap the speaker button and the keyboard will fill in what I say with talk to text in a message whether it be on iMessage, email or a simple notepad message. It will do so without wifi connectivity.

With my Samsung I can not get this to work or google voice to work in any shape or form unless on wifi. I'm only wanting it to work so when I'm out an about I can just talk reply to texts etc instead of typing out. My Samsung keyboard is not as easy as my apple that is for sure. I also have no emoji availability. I tried swift key but I still get no emojis.

My phone is running 4.0.4 android. I check for firmware and mine has never let me upgrade so I guess I'm stuck with what I have. I read online if you can just go in to the keyboard settings and tell it to use talk to text in offline downloaded version but I can not locate such a menu. I have tried so many different avenues. I can't get google talk to work in offline mode either. So no. High Galaxy works unless wifi on. Needless to say I'm so frustrated. I wish sometimes my iPod touch 5th generation was an actual phone but alas it isn't and I can't afford to buy new expensive phones outright of pocket at the moment. Hence the medical bills :(. Ugh

I would appreciate any help I can get on this situation. Do I just have no way to use offline without data? Thank you everyone. And I truly hope you are all doing well! Kelli

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    You do need a data connection to do what you want. I have had a few times where I tried to use my voice and gotten a notice to the effect that Google could not be reached.

JFB and kjo like this.
  3. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I see. Did some searching and some of the suggestions require the user to be on Jelly Bean (4.3) or later. It is crazy how the voice commands require Internet access.

uploadfromtaptalk1429317801988.png uploadfromtaptalk1429317806163.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    JFB and kjo like this.
  4. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cricket
    Thank you everyone. That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. The phone is in hardly used condition since I only used it prepaid. Now I'm using it so no point in changing phones when it works. I could add data I suppose, although I don't use it enough to justify. Any thoughts on an emoji program or something that I can use for that perhaps? Thank you for answering back.

A new phone one day

5. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cricket
    Yes it's crazy. That part should work irregardless just like Apple.

JFB likes this.
  6. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Hmmmm. I'll suggest Go Keyboard. I'm not sure what software requirements they have. I live and die on SwiftKey, but it didn't work for you. Google keyboard has emoji, but you have to be on 4.4 or higher.

This is off-topic, but what kind of data-less plan are you on? Just curious.

7. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cricket
    I'll check it out. Thanks! I'm currently on the 25 dollar plan with cricket. Unlimited talk and text but no data unless I use my wifi.

8. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Oh ok. I have my aunt on the same plan, but I bought a flip phone for her. Neat.

9. our3rotts

our3rotts An Iowa Gurl...

My Phone:
    Google Pixel
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZN - 4G
    Have you thought about rooting the S2 and upgrading to a more recent version of android? That would give you emojiis - I use Google Keyboard. I never thought about my voice to text needing data/wifi. Do you have an option under Settings>language & input - then the settings of "Google Voice Typing" that says manage offline speech recognition?