Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

voice activated tdma flip wanted

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by c21, Dec 4, 2001.

1. c21

c21 New Member

looking for recommendations for a good voice-activated flip phone (like to keep my phone in my back pocket) that is tdma compatible.
    Any reccomendations would be appreciated.
    c21

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Scratch the LG TM510. I misread your message and thought you wrote CDMA.

PS. Backpocket: bad place for ANY phone. You are sure to cause problems with the antenna. Besides, radio waves that close to your skin is not good.

3. CDMA

CDMA Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'z one boulder
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Motorola recomends using their belt clip for the StarTac in order to keep the antenna at least one inch from your body, right in the owners manual. Also, I have temporarly placed a TDMA phone with a fixed antenna in my back pocket, and the signal goes to nothing, therefore I missed calls/no service etc. To answer your main question, Motorola has the expensive new v60 for $499.00, but a lot cheaper at BestBuy or places like that.

4. c21

c21 New Member

Thanks for responding guys.
    Not sure that the arguement for belt clips or keeping the antenna 1" from the body holds water since many phones are advertised as fitting nicely in a shirt pocket..... but health and incoming call signal strength concerns aside..... I need a phone that can survive in a back-pocket/top of tool box environment without getting it's key's or display all messed up.
    I currently have a star-tac which is more than durable enough, but seems to have horrible transmission quality(and doesn't get loud enough). Is the star-tac typical of TDMA type phones (should I be happy with what I have?)
    What full featured ultra-small phones have better send/rec quality?
    How is the Panisonic Versio, Allure or Duamax?

Is there anything comparable to the erikson T-28 World that is TDMA and under $200?
    I know this seems like a lot of questions, but I am tired of apologizing for the poor quality of my phone when I am on business calls.
    Thanks
    c21

5. CDMA

CDMA Senior Member

My Phone:
    Casio G'z one boulder
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I have a CDMA StarTac with Verizon and a TDMA StarTac with Cingular. The volume is ok on the TDMA and can be too loud on the CDMA. Also, putting the phone in my pocket will kill the signal on the TDMA (fixed antenna) and will not affect the CDMA phone. I have only used two TDMA phones. The StarTac and the Nokia 6161i. The signal on both seemed to be affected by having the phone close to your body, I don't like fixed antennas. The Nokia TDMA was plenty loud. That thing I said about the phone being in the belt clip at least 1 inch from your body is in the owners manual for the StarTac. I think that the actual reception on both TDMA phones was about the same. There was however, a TDMA StarTac that was recalled around the summer of 2000 for bad reception. Ameritech had replaced mine for free, with an updated software version. The new one seemed to be better. If you got your StarTac in the spring or summer of 2000, you might have an outdated model. The new 7897 finally has a clock and can receive text messages also.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in....

the panasonic versio can be purchased with a flip on the phone, although it is just a faceplate (similar to the nokia 5160/65 serries. the flip is not active but it will protect the keys on the phone. the versio does not have voice-activated dialing but does have a speaker phone. The panasonic allure, however, does include a memo recorder / voice activated dialing.... the drawback, in your case, is it does not have the flip. I'm currently using the allure and have been very happy with the phone in general.

panasonic has a lot of good info on their website:

www.panasonic.com/wireless
    www.attwireless.com