Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Virgin Mobile text messaging rate increase

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by Eddie Kukiela, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Eddie Kukiela

Eddie Kukiela New Member

A few days ago, I got this message (or "Virgin Alert") on my VM cell phone:

Starting 3/15/06, text messages will cost just 5 cents per message to send & receive. Thumbs up!

Thumbs up, my a**. That just makes me want to drive down to my VZW store right now and sign a contract and complain so I can get unlimited text messaging (they USED to have it, my friend has it, one time he called VZW and they were like "huh, you have unlimited text messaging?", and it's not unlimited IN, it's unlimited anywhere. His contract was from a few years back but he still gets it when he renews it). And it's about $7 a month I think.

To bad it's 11:30 pm.

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Verizon Wireless no longer has an unlimited text messaging plan. The only unlimited messaging packages they have now is the "IN" packages which is only to/from Verizon customers.

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    T-Mobile, Sprint, and Alltel offer unlimited messaging. Not sure if other smaller carriers might as well.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Wirelessly posted (MOT-8720_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.104 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Cricket offers true unlimited text messaging too.

5. xman

xman New Member

Metro PCS has unlimeted text messages & long distance (domestic) as well

6. Eddie Kukiela

Eddie Kukiela New Member

Yeah, but I'm sure if I complain enough at the store I can get it :) I would assume they still do have the ability to add it as they still are giving it to some customers. Oh, and what happened to the 5PM nights and free incoming rumors at VZW? Looks like it never happened. LOL.

Cricket doesn't have very good coverage in my area of Tucson, metroPCS has no coverage at all in not just Tucson but Arizona, T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage, and Alltel is better but I still talk to people with Alltel and get dropped all the time.

Sprint is excellent, but they don't have any Kyocera phones. I've had good experience with Kyocera phones so I'm sticking to their phones now. VZW, Cricket, and Alltel have Kyocera phones though.

Sprint and VZW seem to have the best coverage in my area. I know many people with VZW and I have once dropped a call, and that is when they were driving to Utah and in the middle of nowhere, but it was great that VZW had coverage there.

I could purchase a Kyocera phone locked to VZW, and change the network IDs and things I'm sure, but it would be unlikely for it to even work, and even if it did, it would be useless for services like Vision.

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint does not allow you to activate a non-Sprint branded phone on their network, so scratch that idea. Sorry.

8. Eddie Kukiela

Eddie Kukiela New Member

It is possible, if they let me change the ESN in their 'my account' system (like VZW does), I can. Some people are using their Virgin Mobile phones for VZW, so it's possible to use it on another network.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint does not have an online My Account ESN changer.