Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Very tough 5185i question - calling all Nokia/Verizon gurus.

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by DS94Sherry, Dec 1, 2002.

1. DS94Sherry

DS94Sherry New Member

I recently purchased a Verizon phone (Nokia 5185i) from eBay to put on my ALLTEL account. I have already acquired the MSL and the phone is unlocked, programmed, yada yada yada. I went to the ALLTEL retail store and had the PRL list updated with no problem.

I mentioned to the sales clerk that the phone was previously on Verizon and that I wanted the software updated so I could add downloadable ringtones. He said I had the most current software. My software version is 550 and is dated 2000. Alltel's site says you have to have the 581 or 586 software to download ringtones so obviously there is a newer version. He told me that he had tried to update software on someone else's ex-Verizon phone and that it rendered the phone useless. Was he a moron, trying to get out of a little extra work, or is it really not possible to update the software on an unlocked ex-Verizon 5185i?

Here is the software info if it will help:
    V 550SD1a5.nef
    09/08/2000
    NSD-1AW
    (c)NMP
    PRI: 504929B5
    CSUM: C092
    Verizon
    (PrimeCo-K)

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I've posted this on the howardforums as well but no one really seems to know for sure.

2. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am currently selling my 5185i that I had on Verizon, I couldn't d/l tones either on mine. My s/w version is 552SD1a5.nef which is dated 4/4/01. I gave up on getting it to d/l tones, Verizon was greedy and locked out the personal slots.

3. DS94Sherry

DS94Sherry New Member

Doesn't appear like you have the correct software either. 581 and 586 are the only versions that will accept them according to ALLTEL. Or do you mean, the Personal slots show up, and you just can't put anything in them?

4. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    There were no personal slots at all. That's the problem, Verizon deleted them. So I guess my phone could download them, BUT it would have no place to go.