Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Very specific smartphone requirements

Discussion in 'Other Smartphones and Mobile Operating Systems' started by quebekop, Aug 12, 2008.

1. quebekop

quebekop New Member

Hi guys,

I currently use a Sidekick II and need to upgrade. Despite lots of research I'm having a hard time deciding what to do. I have an unlimited data account in Montreal with Fido, so for sure I'll be buying an unlocked GSM phone.

Here's what I need to do with my next phone:

1. Checking email with Gmail, typing fairly long replies (QWERTY keypad a must), opening Word and PDF attachments, editing the Word docs and reattaching them to Gmail emails.

2. Listening to live streaming of soccer audio commentary from a website which 'broadcasts' via WMP or Real Player.

3. Use Bluetooth for hands-free car calling.

If I can play MP3's, fine, take pictures, fine, use GPS, fine, but these are NOT musts. Even Wi-Fi isn't a must, as most of my usage occurs in the city and I have an unlimited data plan.

Right now I'm strongly considering an HTC TyTN (Kaiser) or Tilt. The iPhone keyboard is too hard to type on. Is a Blackberry a reasonable option?

All help is much appreciated!

John

2. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Essential PH-1
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I think you'd be happy with a TIlt...

I can do all of that with my TIlt.

-Jay

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. quebekop

quebekop New Member

Thanks for the input, Jay!

Anyone else like to comment?

Cheers,

John

4. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    I assume you want a GSM phone? If so the Tilt, or unbranded version of is a good choice. I have an HTC phone similar to the Tilt and it has served me extremely well. The Samsung Blackjack or Blackjack 2, iPAQ phones, and Windows Mobile Treos are all worth a look too.

5. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would go with the Tilt too. It will be able to do everything you want the device to do. The BBs are not great for handling multimedia.

6. quebekop

quebekop New Member

Thanks - I'll check those out too!