Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

vermont

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 25, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I need to find the provider with the best quality in Western MA an VT, wherre I travel regularly on business. Any advice?

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I live in Western MA. Your best choice for these more rural and hilly areas would be the carriers that operate at 800 Mhz, where you could have digital service, but fall back to analog when necessary. If you are signing up from MA, that would mean Cingular or Verizon. Most of Vermont's coverage is smaller regional carriers that you would be roaming on. Cingular's current National plans have the most generous amount of minutes (anytime and night/weekend) for the price, with no extra charges for roaming or long-distance. Verizon's America's Choice plan would charge extra for roaming in many parts of Vermont. I use Cingular, and am very pleased with their coverage (and the free roaming). In fairness to Verizon, one of the carriers in Vermont that now roams digitally with Cingular (US Cellular), I have heard, is converting from TDMA to CDMA technology. If and when this happens, Cingular would still roam with them, but it would be an analog signal. Hope this helps.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks. That does help. It seems like Cingular is my best bet, but what about Sprint?

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    if the area is rural and hilly chances are Sprint won't be too good around there and remember with Sprint when you are off there network you face roaming charges. I have to agree with that one Anonymous post Cingular and Verizon Wireless would prolly be a better choice for you.

5. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint just started service in Vermont last month. I'm sure the coverage is still very limited as they continue to build.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

If you do go with Cingular, I would recommend you get a phone with an external (stub) antenna. These can give a bit better reception than internal ones. I use the Ericsson r278d, and while it may not be a stylish model (I think it has classic good looks), it gets great reception in rural areas. Also, the promotional 3500 night and weekend minutes on the Cingular Nation plan might end at the end of the month, so I suggest you check into it soon. Cingular now has a 15 day return policy if you are not satisfied with the service, provided you sign up at a company owned store. Ask the sales person about current terms.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

<< I need to find the provider with the best quality in Western MA an VT, wherre I travel regularly on business. Any advice? >>

How about ATT wireless?

8. Guest

Guest Guest

For anonymous for 5/28

You specifically do NOT want ATT in Vermont. If they have service there at all it is 1900.

I own a weekend home in VT and travel to the Rutland area from near Boston frequently. The only provider that works consistently is Verizon, and even it has problems in some of the more rural areas.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

"Most of Vermont's coverage is smaller regional carriers that you would be roaming on."

-Actually Vermont is covered by 3 cellular providors, Verizon, Cellular One (RCC Wireless), and US Cellular

"Verizon's America's Choice plan would charge extra for roaming in many parts of Vermont."

-Roaming is included in all of Vermont with America's Choice. You are able to roam onto Cellular One(Which covers the entire state) with no additional charges. Also, I believe roaming onto US Cellular is also included, though I have never done so myself.

10. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    << -Actually Vermont is covered by 3 cellular providors, Verizon, Cellular One (RCC Wireless), and US Cellular >>

Actually Sprint also covers Vermont to some degree.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

I had heard that Verizon's America's Choice would roam with no charge on some Alltel and Sprint PCS systems, but I had not heard of U.S. Cellular or Cell One being included (unless Verizon bought them out). Sure you could roam, but probably at extra charge.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Cellular one has good coverage in Vermont, especially the Rural areas and covers the southern portion of Vermont. I live in the Burlington area and Verizon seems to be the best choice here. Most of their plans will roam analog on Cell one or US Cellular. I think that they just added the US Cellular areas in Southern VT to their AC plan as a free roam, but it doesn't show it on the map yet. They advised AC plan people to do a *228 to update their roaming list, because they said that it covers all of Vermont and most of Maine now.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I might also add that that there are many spots that it just don't matter if you have a cell phone because you won't get a signal anyway. This is due to terrain and people making it hard to put up towers in the state. You may want to show up with what you have now and see if it gets any kind of signal, even a phone that is not active may give you an indication if the A side (rcc atlantic) or B side ( US Cell and Verizon) would be the best choice at your locations.

14. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi, I live in Manchester Vermont. (southwestern vermont) and I use US Cellular and am so far pretty pleased. I think their regional 450 plan will get you the service areas you need for business travel. Check out uscc.com and type in 05255 for the zip. Cheers.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi I live in Hampshire county--not far from UMASS, I have used both verizon and cingular and I would vote verizon better......with cingular I had the T60d, now whether or not it was a bad phone---I didn't get as good of reception and it would go to analog to digital with every move of the phone......but one problem with verizon is, if you look at the map--at Franklin county--you'll see there isn't much coverage--Sprint isn't actually pretty good around this area my nephew uses it and he travels from Ware, MA to Middlefield, CT

16. sgarrand

sgarrand New Member

My Phone:
    LG VX 4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Cingular
    << Verizon's America's Choice plan would charge extra for roaming in many parts of Vermont. >>

Not anymore. I live in Western MA (Chicopee) and I travel to Vermont fairly often. I recently had to choose between Verizon or Cingular for a national plan (I also go to NH, Upstate NY, MD, and FL). I chose Verizon because of their new expanded New England coverage and existing coverage in other areas I travel to. With their new additional coverage, Southern VT (only part previously not covered) is added. Also Verizon's America's Choice plan uses Sprint, Alltel and other carriers as its "extended network" (no roaming fees). Cingular and Verizon are equally impressive in this area, but I chose Verizon because I like CDMA more than TDMA and I like the phone selection and mobile web option. Just my two pennies. [​IMG]

Scott

17. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I am glad that you are happy with verizon

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. Voity

Voity New Member

If you need a Wireless phone There are only 4 providers that will give you a Vermont Phone Number:

Cellular One (RCC) Upstate NY, All of VT Parts of NH, Western Mass, and a small part of Maine. (Home Area)

Verizon - From Rutland County to NH and Up to the Canada Border is Verizon's Market in Vermont.

Sprint PCS - Route 7, Route 4, and Most of I89 & I91.

Nextel - As of now. Chittenden County to Rutland Rutland. Will have more to report soon.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

&gt;&gt;"If you need a Wireless phone There are only 4 providers that will give you a Vermont Phone Number:

&gt;&gt;Cellular One (RCC) Upstate NY, All of VT Parts of NH, Western Mass, and a small part of Maine. (Home Area)

&gt;&gt;Verizon - From Rutland County to NH and Up to the Canada Border is Verizon's Market in Vermont.

&gt;&gt;Sprint PCS - Route 7, Route 4, and Most of I89 & I91.
    &gt;&gt;Nextel - As of now. Chittenden County to Rutland Rutland. Will have more to report soon."

Actually, Nextel isn't currently selling their service in Vermont, so you are unable to get a Vermont number at this time. Also, you can get a Vermont phone number with US Cellular.

20. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    Verizon includes roaming on US Cellular in AC only in some areas (not in all USCC markets), and with RCC only in New England. Apparently Verizon started losing sales/customers to Cingular etc. because of the AC/roaming problem in New England and added them in AC for everyone.

The PRLs at http://www.justalurker.com/ tell all. [​IMG]

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  21. scotty

scotty New Member

western ma has a handful of options, but VT is tough, nextel and att look like the only reliable providers.