Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Vermont coverage?? options ??

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by pab11, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Cingular GSM User

If you would like you can just get a USCC or Alltel Plan w/ a area code (in one of their service regions) and then just roam in Vermont.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    USCC has a 50% roaming rule (no more than 50% of your minutes can be used off the USCC network in any given month), so using then would probably not be a good idea.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. waywith

waywith Junior Member

Not quite true.

USCC's rule is that you cannot have more than 50% of your minutes used off the USCC network in THREE CONSECUTIVE MONTHS. So, folks going to an off-network area for summer vacation, for example, should be fine, even if the vacation is two months long.

-way

4. frankp

frankp New Member

I spend 7 months in Florida and 5 in Vermont. GSM is good in Florida so we are kind of caught in the middle. I needed to upgrade the phone anyway because I could only put 100 numbers in the address book of the Nokia 5165 so the 6340i took care of that problem and kept my TDMA coverage as well as GSM and I can still use the CARK-91 hands free. I got the phone and took it to Cingular and they provided the SIM and also changed the case for me because the one that came with the phone was an aftermarket that was crummy. They didn't charge me a dime so the service was good. The phone works well down here in central Florida. I won't test it in VT until June.

5. Gonz

Gonz Senior Member

My Phone:
    USCC Nokia 6235i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC, American Roaming Network... LOL
    Did USCC build out their network to cover all of vermont now? Just curious. If it is their system, is it 1900mhz? If not, who is the agreement with, and why is it listed as local (non-roam) on maps? If it is another carrier, which is it?

This caught me by supprise that they added all of VT when they only had the southern 1/4 of the state before.

I had heard that they build out Maine with PCS, and am curious to see if VT is the same.

Bigger yet, will VZW roam on USCC digital in VT? The VZW map before showed the previous (smaller) VT USCC region as analog extended network.

6. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    USCC has built out PCS in Rutland and St. Johnsbury, not sure about Burlington. In ME, the PCS buildout is in Portland and York Co. So the PCS buildout is very limited at this point.

Yes, VZW customers can roam on USC's CDMA network throughout Northern New England (including southern VT). I'm not sure why some of the Verizon coverage tool shows analog, it could be places where there is only Unicel, but those areas surely can't all be lack of USC coverage.

7. cooldudeman01

cooldudeman01 New Member

My Phone:
    NEC 515
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I heard rumors on other websites that A GSM only plan would be just like a multiband plan, is this true? As it stands right now I own a Sony Erricson T62u (GAIT) and I would like to use it, but with my GSM only plan I don't think it's possible. Furthermore, I can't just stick the card in there and try, because I have AT&T and the phone is Cingular. If I knew it was going to work I might just take the deal Cingular is giving me to waive my early termination fee and buy a SIM card from them.

8. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    A GSM only plan will not work the same as a Multiband plan since GSM only will not have the TDMA or Analog ability & you would need a Multiband SIM, the plans may be the same as the GSM only plans if that's what you ment.

I suggest you could call Cingular & ask about migrating over to a Multiband plan & see what they say as far as availability where you live, You may have to buy another GAIT phone & from what others say the Nokia is better then the SE, although i never had a problem with the T62u myself.
    Even if the T62u were unlocked they wouldn't allow you to just get the SIM, they will tell you "AT&T phones don't have the software to work on our systems" Which we know is bogus, but that is what's been happening.