Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Vermont coverage?? options ??

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by pab11, Dec 1, 2004.

1. pab11

pab11 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6162i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Ok - here goes.... oh and btw, I am pretty non-technical as far as phones go so please try not to use too many acronyms when responding unless you explain them too...
    I live in Wilmington, VT on Route 9 and need service here in the valley - especially at my house - and also country-wide as I travel around the US frequently (NY, CT, GA, FL, CA, KS, TX, etc)
    I currently have AT&T Wireless - Digital One-Rate plan (free nationwide long distance and no roaming) under a corporate discount plan (which I moved here with from Long Island - NY). My phone is an old one - a Nokia 6162i.
    I get service pretty much everywhere except at my own house (!).
    This week my brother-in-law is here visting from Florida. He has Alltell with their Total Freedom plan and a newer Nokia phone (not sure of model - can find out if its critical to know). He has service here at my house - no problem.
    So Question 1 is:
    WHY does he get service and I do not? I am thinking it is phone related and not carrier related since technically neither of those companies has service here. If so - what phone should I get? The AT&TWS customer service people did not seem to think that changing phones would help....
    Next...
    I called AT&TWS today to see if the new Cingular merger had any impact on plans/coverage available to me, etc. It did not. They still show no service here and so I cannot switch anything or add a line, etc. (They have not made me cancel my existing service however.)
    Most people here have RCC Unicel but I am not sure if I should switch. I can easily have my neighbor come by with his phone to see ig it gets service here in my house but I do not know if switching to them would give me other coverage issues. I think I heard Unicell was GSM and that may be an issue for me in other parts of the US... (???)
    So Question 2 is:
    Any recommendations on if I should switch to something besides what I have and if so - to what? and why?
    Thanks in advance for the assistance. Your threads have been somewhat enlightening already - I can sure tell you all know your stuff! :)

#1 pab11, Dec 1, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  2. macsesso

macsesso Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Storm 9550
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizonwireless
    Here's some information that might be of help.

http://markson.net/cell_phones.htm

Click on coverage areas upper left of screen and then click on the image of Vermont

3. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    Your friend with Alltel was probably using US Cellular, at your house. You might want to check US Cellular out.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Yeah, I'd have to agree with mframe, your friend was probably using US Cellular. You can look into them if they work well at your house; I don't know if their national plans are too good, otherwise you can go with a carrier that roams on USCC while at home. Of course this might not enable you to use features like Text Messaging, etc. while at home. also, if you go with a carrier that roams on USCC at your home, you will not get a local number; if those facts are important to you while home, then I'd suggest you look into USCC first(if they are the ones covering your area).

5. pab11

pab11 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6162i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for the info so far. Some comments and - of course - more questions... :)
    1) Why does my phone not roam on US Cellular and my brother-in-law's does while at my house? What is the difference? the phone? or the fact that he has Alltell and I have AT&TWS? or ? (I get service at bottom of driveway - .3 miles away - but not at/in house - says "no service" when it should say 'roaming' like my brother-in-law's)
    2) I have a NY # now so would port it to new service as we have had the # so long. So the phone # piece does not matter since we would keep the NY# we have.
    3) Text Messaging, etc does not matter - I am truly not into the device for anything except phone calls.
    4) Need local reception/service plus good nationwide coverage. If I need to switch to a local carrier to get this - I assume I should check out Unicel and US Cellular to see who gets reception at my house and who has best nationwide no roaming/free long distance service. Right? Any other things to consider?
    5) does it matter which actual handset/phone I get? If I upgraded my phone now (on AT&TWS) would I get potentially get better reception here at the house?

6. egale

egale Member

Different carriers use different technology. Your ATTWS is probably GSM unless you have an old phone that is still TDMA. US Cellular is CDMA (as is Verizon). The technology is different so you can't roam on each other's networks.

7. waywith

waywith Junior Member

I agree with several of the earlier posters, who recommended you look at US Cellular. Alltel, US Cellular, and Verizon all use CDMA technology, and roam on each others' networks. If you get a US Cellular phone, it should work fine all through Southern Vermont, almost all of New Hampshire, all of Maine. The phone will roam on Verizon's network in New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and nationwide. Plus if you visit your brother-in-law in Florida, it will be able to roam on Alltel's network.

US Cellular has a Regional Plan that covers 9 northeastern states, including all of New England plus New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Or, you can go with their National Plan, that would give you coverage countrywide using US Cellular, Alltel, and Verizon, as well as several other carriers that use the same technology.

US Cellular's customer service is excellent, in my experience (I've been with them for 7 years) and their prices are very competitive. As to a specific phone, I would recommend either the Kyocera Soho (flip phone), which is free with a 2-year contract, or the Nokia 6585 (candy-bar style). Both have very good reception.

By the way, US Cellular offers a 30-day free trial (many other carriers limit their trials to 14 days). So you can sign up with them, and if you find you don't get good reception or there are other problems, you can cancel and incur no costs, as long as you do it within 30 days.

AT&T Wireless and Cingular do not have very good coverage in Vermont or New Hampshire, and probably won't for some years (if ever).

Verizon is supposed to be building out towers in Southern Vermont, but as of now, they have no service of their own there.

Unicel is OK, but I have yet to find anyone who sings their praises if you need to travel between the boonies and larger cities. US Cellular will work both places.

-way

8. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

Get New GSM phone so u could roam on Unicell.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    RCC Unicel's GSM buildout is extremely poor. If someone wanted to go with Unicel, I would still recommend they go with TDMA. His phone is TDMA and will roam on Unicel. TDMA coverage is better there, so Unicel won't work for him.

Unicel has quite good coverage in Chittenden and Addison Counties, far superior to VZW's coverage. (Wilmington is out of VZW's coverage area and in USCC's.), and with my VZW LG VX4400 roaming analog on Unicel, I got excellent coverage all along US-7 (with one dead spot) and VT-116. VZW had subpar coverage where I was in Bristol, but their coverage in Burlington, South Burlington, and Williston (yay Burlington Airport) was great.

In summary of all this, my recommendation is to go with USCC, but be sure to get a tri-mode phone, so you can roam on RCC Unicel's analog system if needed. I noticed some areas along I-89 that were VZW dead zones, so even major routes and cities will still require analog in Vermont.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. pab11

pab11 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6162i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for all the info - you are all amazing - what a great forum!
    Forgive my ignorance- tri-mode phone - what are the three 'modes' ?
    TDMA/CDMA/Analog? or ? CDMA/GSM/Analog? or ??
    I still do not understand the difference between TDMA and CDMA but am understanding (I think) that some carriers use one and some the other. I think a tri-mode phone will help my reception along with simply getting a different carrier that covers my house location better and that USCC is recommended for Southern VT/Northernwestern MA.
    So.....How much of this have I misunderstood?

11. SQFreak

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Analog/AMPS - The first cellular standard. Often poor quality, but still the best coverage in the US today - especially the rural US. As far as I'm aware, only one AMPS-only carrier remains in the US, and that's Sussex County Cellular. There are still plenty of areas in the rural US that are served only by AMPS, though.

TDMA - Time Division Multiple Access (what we refer to as TDMA is actually IS-136, but nobody ever calls it that). It's an old standard; the first digital standard, and IS-136 is now out of date for the most part. Most providers have added CDMA or GSM on top of their TDMA system. RCC Unicel in Vermont has chosen GSM, but they're being excessively slow about it. I don't think there are any providers with TDMA that haven't chosen an upgrade plan, either to CDMA or GSM.

CDMA - Code Division Multiple Access. A standard developed by Qualcomm that, in terms of technology and spectrum efficiency is probably the best. (That has nothing to do with sound quality or the quality of the networks, though.) CDMA was chosen by Sprint PCS, Verizon Wireless, Alltel (wireless), US Cellular, as well as other smaller providers.

GSM - Global System for Mobile Communication. The standard with the largest worldwide network, but still the smallest US presence of the three technologies, but that's changing. With some exceptions (areas served by Dobson, for example) GSM rural coverage is still lacking. The current GSM standard is TDMA-based, but the next generation of GSM technology is wCDMA/UMTS, but that's not compatible with today's incarnation of CDMA, called CDMA2000. GSM was chosen by AT&T Wireless, Cingular Wireless, and other smaller providers in the US.

800MHz is used for the Cellular band of spectrum when referring to CDMA and TDMA, while 850MHz is used for the same band of spectrum when referring to GSM. No one really knows why.
    1900MHz is used for the PCS band of spectrum.

Tri-Mode - Tri-mode, when used with CDMA implies compatibility with the following band/technology pairs: 800MHz AMPS, 800MHz CDMA, 1900MHz CDMA. When used with TDMA, tri-mode implies compatibility with 800MHz AMPS, 800MHz TDMA, and 1900MHz TDMA. When used with GSM in the United States, the preferred phrase is tri-band.

All-digital - Usually only used with CDMA, implying compatibility with 800MHz CDMA and 1900MHz CDMA only.

Dual-Band - When used with CDMA, implies compatibility with 800MHz CDMA and 1900MHz CDMA. When used with GSM, implies compatibility with 850MHz GSM and 1900MHz CDMA.

Tri-Band - Never used with anything but GSM. Can have multiple meanings. Tri-band phones sold in the US are usually 850MHz GSM, 1800MHz GSM (a frequency not used for mobile communications in the US, or North America for that matter), and 1900MHz GSM. Tri-band phones sold outside North America are usually 900MHz GSM (another frequency not used for mobile communications in North America), 1800MHz GSM, and 1900MHz GSM.

Am I missing anything?

12. pab11

pab11 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6162i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    WOW! THANK YOU !! :biggrin:
    I actually think I understand it now!!! :D
    I appreciate the time and energy to educate me.
    I will definitely post after I switch things around and let everyone know how things turn out.
    Thanks again... to everyone! :)

13. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Er, I feel compelled to point out that if you want to keep your New York #, you must port your number to a company that offers service on Long Island. US Cellular has no licenses on Long Island and therefore you will not be able to keep your NY number should you switch to US Cellular

14. pab11

pab11 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6162i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    ZaphodB - Good catch... I will take that into consideration...

15. waywith

waywith Junior Member

Keeping your existing Long Island number will be a definite problem. There is no carrier that serves Wilmington well, that ALSO serves Long Island. I think you are going to be forced to change your number.

These days, with long distance charges either free (included in your package), or very low cost (I pay 2.9¢ a minute for LD on my landline), I would think maintaining a Long Island number isn't all that critical. However, that's your decision.

It IS going to present a problem for you, however.

-way

16. SQFreak

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Ah, but he could port to VZW and keep his NY number. VZW prefers USCC digital to RCC Unicel AMPS, and VZW could care less if he spends all his time on Extended Network.

(See SIDs 1484 and 313 is the VZW PRL at http://www.mountainwireless.com/prl/50210.htm. I know 313 is the correct RCC Unicel SID.)

17. waywith

waywith Junior Member

SQFreak,

Your suggestion is valid, PROVIDING Verizon has no problem opening an account for him when his billing address is NOT within their licensed markets. Most carriers have a problem with that. Maybe they don't.

-way

18. SQFreak

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If he can provide a valid address on Long Island for them to establish service at, they should be willing to send the bill anywhere. I'm assuming that if he wants that LI number, it's because he wants it to be local to friends/family on LI. He could use that address as a service address so that taxes and such can be properly assessed and use the VT address as a billing address. It should work...

19. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I agree with the fact that the OP can get VZW and keep his LI number, especially since his VZW phone will be on Extended Network up there(VZW doesn't care how much time you spent off network, like most carriers).
    They also have good nationwide coverage with their AC plans...Definitely something to look into!

20. niji

niji New Member

bennington gsm coverage ??

hello,
    does the bennington area have any gsm based coverage? if so, is it 1900 frequency?
    and, would the gsm sim card used in that gsm fone be able to roam in japan on a wcdma network (vodafone japan wcdma 2100 band)?
    ideally i can purchase a 3g fone in japan that has wcdma 2100 and gsm 1900 band, so that i could use my japan usim card when i am in japan, but i want to have a local sim card in the usa, that has good coverage in the bennington vermont area.
    any suggestions as to carrier in vermont?
    thnx

21. waywith

waywith Junior Member

Niji,

Suggest you visit this site: www.markson.net/cell_phones.htm

There is a great deal of information about cellphone coverage in all the New England states. Read the "Roadrunner" logs, particularly the site owner's recent trip from Albany NY to Manchester NH (via Bennington).

Can't answer your questions about Japan use.

--way

22. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    Re: bennington gsm coverage ??

There is NO good choice for a GSM provider in VT right now. In fact, no GSM provider offers service there today. Eventually (perhaps by 3/05) Unicel will deploy GSM-850 throughout their system and will offer service. Until then its very spotty. Currently Unicel is only providing GSM to roamers, they do not offer GSM service at this time.

Bennington currently has Unicel GSM-850 and GSM-1900 coverage. The signal only travels about 10 miles. I believe Unicel coverage continues north to Manchester. To the west & south you'll pick up Cingular GSM-850 at the borders. To the east there is no GSM coverage until I-91 where you'll pick up Unicel-850 and GSM-1900 again.

In Southern VT the best wireless providers are Unicel (TDMA) and U.S. Cellular (CDMA). In Northern VT it would be Unicel (TDMA) and Verizon (CDMA).

Japan uses yet another technology than the several we have in the US, and you'd need a different phone.

23. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)

My GSM TracFone (on Cingular at home) roamed on Cingular in St. Albans, and on (then) AT&T Wireless in other parts of VT along I-89.

Service was not continuous though, there were dead spots along the way.

24. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)

I find this a bit difficult to believe, only because my experience was so wildly different. My GSM phone only roamed on Unicel in Vermont, and only in very small areas. I *know* there was no service for me in St Albans. In Swanton I picked up Rogers from the border-blasters.

25. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):

The TracFone picked up Cingular in St. Albans, but it was not my home Cingular network, the phone displayed "Roaming".

There was one portion of I-89 when I made a call to 611 while the phone displayed "Roaming" and the line kept ringing. I believe I should have heard a recording indicating the name of the carrier. I had thought that might have been Unicel, but I don't know which carriers (apart from Cingular) are programmed in the TracFone SIM card.

The currently available TracFone GSM coverage map is noticably different than the Cingular GSM KIC map, so I presume TracFone has roaming agreements with carriers other than Cingular. Their GSM phones are provisioned on Cingular.

26. finestkind

finestkind New Member

For what it's worth, Cingular is now allowing customers to use GAIT phones on their network at the same rates as GSM phones.

I have been using a Nokia 6340i, which I think is a Tri-Mode GSM/TDMA/AMPS phone, on Cingular for a few years. If not Tri-Mode it is at least GSM/TDMA.

My job requires me to travel throughout New England by car and I depend on my cell phone.

Because there is no charge for roaming I don't know, or care, what systems I have been roaming on over the years.

I only recall losing service for any length of time in Vermont between Rutland and Burlington.

While Cingular no longer sells the 6340i they are available on eBay for not much money.

A great phone and the most coverage available anywhere.

27. frankp

frankp New Member

I hope you are right. I am waiting for my Nokia 6340i from ebay (less than $30 with shipping) I live in Searsburg, VT just west of Wilmington. I have TDMA Nationwide with Cingular and the coverage, although spotty, is pretty good in Southern Vermont. My wife recently got a GSM Cingular plan and we found no coverage at our house and east into Wilmington.

I want to get the family plan, which is GSM, so we can talk mobile to mobile and get the roll over minutes. I'm hoping when we get this plan, and I use the Nokia 6340i, I will still be able to get the TDMA signals. I know my wife is doomed with her GSM only phone. The 2nd reason I wanted the 6340i is because it is compatable with the Nokia CARK-91 hands free unit that is mounted in my van. We did find GSM coverage in Bennington, VT. I have my doubts on Cingular expanding their GSM coverage in southern VT and I wonder how long the TDMA towers will still operate. Our winter home in central Florida has good TDMA and GSM coverage.

28. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Given that analog has to be broadcast until 2008, and TDMA was the improvement to analog, I'd say you have at least five years without them turning off TDMA. The service may degrade as they dedicate more of the spectrum to GSM, but...

I'm curious, though. Why would you want a GSM phone if there's no signal at your home and east into town? Mobile-to-Mobile is a good thing but it's no use at all if your wife can't get a signal. I would say that it's probably more worth it for you to wait for Cingular to improve the network.

29. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Being that this phone he is getting is a GAIT phone & once he sign's up for a multi-band plan he will be able to use the TDMA side of the phone at home & where he can't get the GSM service, as for the M2M he will only be able to use it when she is on the road & has service, otherwise you are right, it's not a feature they will be using much if she can't get a signal.

30. EdwardP

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon has coverage just about everywhere (including roaming on their prepay plan), that may be your best bet in VT.

Where your relative has Alltel, that phone should work in Vermont. Verizon and Alltel have roaming agreements between them.