Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon's New "Mandatory" Data Charge on Most Phones Explained

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by M in LA, Jan 22, 2010.

1. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    On January 18, 2010, Verizon instituted a new data pricing scheme on a number of 3G phones. All smartphones have been required to have the $29.99 unlimited data plan for some time now.

Last Fall, Verizon implemented a mandatory data fee minimum of $9.99 (25MB max) on some devices considered "enhanced", in other words, not quite a smartphone, but not quite a basic phone either. The enV Touch and Samsung Rogue are two of these devices. Customers also had the choice of opting for the unlimited data plan if they so chose.

Now Verizon has added more 3G phones to the list requiring a data plan. They've also reclassified the grouping of phones on their site to reflect this change.

Of the phones available on their site as of 1/22/2010, this is how their new classification looks:

3G Smartphones (Requires $29.99 unlimited data plan)

• Samsung Omnia
    • Samsung Omnia 2
    • Samsung Saga
    • BlackBerry Pearl Flip 8230
    • BlackBerry Curve 8330 Pink/Silver
    • BlackBerry Curve 8830 World Edition
    • BlackBerry 8703e
    • BlackBerry Storm 9530
    • BlackBerry Storm2 9550
    • BlackBerry Curve 8530 Black/Smoky Violet
    • BlackBerry Tour 9630 Camera/No Camera
    • Motorola Droid
    • HTC Imagio
    • HTC Ozone
    • HTC Ozone with TALKS
    • HTC Touch Diamond
    • HTC Touch Pro2
    • HTC Droid ERIS

• Palm Pre Plus (Soon to be released)
    • Palm Pixi Plus (Soon to be released)

3G Multimedia Phones
    ($9.99 for 25MB required, optional unlimited data plan $29.99)

• LG VX8360
    • LG enV3 Maroon/Slate Blue
    • LG Chocolate Touch
    • LG enV Touch
    • Nokia 7705 Twist
    • Samsung Alias 2
    • Samsung Renown
    • Samsung Rogue
    • Motorola Entice

• Motorola Rival Purple/Tin Silver (Data plans OPTIONAL for this phone only)

Simple Feature Phones (Do not require any data plan)

• Casio G'zOne Rock
    • LG VX5500
    • Motorola Barrage Camera/Non-Camera
    • Samsung Convoy
    • Samsung Intensity Black/Flamingo Red
    • Samsung Knack
    • Samsung Smooth Blue/Metallic Grey
    • Samsung Sway
    • Samsung Trance in Piano Black
    • Samsung SCH-u340 (Pre-Owned)
    • Samsung SCH-u410 (Pre-Owned)
    • Verizon Wireless Escapade
    • Verizon Wireless Razzle

The last classification is "3G Internet" which consists of PC Cards, USB Modems, and Netbooks. These devices use separate plans and service requirements not related to the devices above.

Since Verizon's phone line-up changes periodically, this list will likely be out of date sooner than later. This is an example of how they are classifying phones now to determine what data plan is required (or not) on a specific phone/device.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 M in LA, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you are currently on one of the 3G multimedia phones and decide to switch phones, then want to come back to that original phone you will be required to add the data. So use caution before you decide to switch around devices.

3. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Another important point: If you upgrade to a data plan on an older Verizon enhanced device, like the Dare, Voyager, or Voyager Titanium (for example), then later decide to cancel data, you can't. Although these devices (and others like them since discontinued) aren't on the mandatory list, once you have a data plan on them, you cannot remove it.

Keep these things in mind when desiring to switch phones or change plans on older, discontinued 3G multimedia phones.

Contact Verizon customer service for further details and how this may affect you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Wow... that is crazy!!! Thanks for the heads up!

I suppose a workaround to this switching phones nonsense is to have a 1x only phone?? For example, if I get data on my Glyde and I find I cannot cancel it; if I were to switch to an ancient simple phone like a Motorola W385 or LG 3300, remove the data, and then switch back to the Glyde... the data wouldn't be required? I know this sounds ridiculous, going thru a 1000 hoops and all!!!

#4 QLR, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  5. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    It might work, but it's possible the Verizon system would recognize the Glyde's ESN and reattach the data plan because the phone is considered an 3G multimedia phone. This is one of those loopholes I'm not sure of either.

I could essentially do the same thing, as I have a Nokia 6256i 1x phone.

#5 M in LA, Jan 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  6. Buickman

Buickman Gearhead/Gadget freak

My Phone:
    BB 9550, Moto Droid
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon on both phones
    Wouldn't work. The system would recognize the Glyde as soon as you activated it.

7. asolar

asolar New Member

Can the above list be updated so I know which phones require any type of data plan? Thanks.

8. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Here's an updated list as of 11/22/2010:

Feature Phones NOT requiring any Data Plan:

• Casio G'zOne Brigade
    • Casio G'zOne Ravine
    • Casio EXILIM
    • KIN ONEm
    • KIN TWOm
    • LG Accolade
    • LG Cosmos
    • LG Octane
    • Motorola Barrage (with or without camera)
    • Pantech Crux
    • Pantech Jest
    • Samsung Convoy
    • Samsung Gusto
    • Samsung Haven
    • Samsung Intensity II
    • Samsung Zeal
    • Verizon Wireless CDM8975
    • Verizon Wireless Escapade
    • Verizon Wireless Salute

To add confusion to "mandatory" data fees on certain phones, Verizon has instituted a new plan of 150MB for $15. This is the minimum data plan on ALL smartphones and one "enhanced" phone (as of 11/22/2010). Verizon still has a minimum 25MB for $9.99 on other enhanced phones.

The list below contains phones with the minimum $9.99/25MB plan option (though the $15/150MB and $30/Unlimited are also available).

Minimum Data $9.99 for 25MB Enhanced Phones:

• LG enV3
    • LG enV Touch
    • Nokia Twist
    • Samsung Alias

Minimum Data $15 for 150MB Enhanced Phone:

• LG Chocolate Touch
    ALL smartphones have the $15 minimum data fee option available.

Verizon has recently updated their site. Several sorting options classify phones by either category, brand/OS, style, color, features, or price. All phones listed above fall under the "Feature Phones" category. I recommend viewing the phones in "List" view to see more details on the phones without having to select and individual phone first.

As Verizon is always cycling phones in and out, this list will probably be obsolete sooner than later. Check their site for further details or contact customer service.

#8 M in LA, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. SoGaUser

SoGaUser Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG EnV touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    It looks like this needs to be updated yet again. I have an EnV-Touch that I upgraded to about a year ago with the manditory $9.99 25MB data package. My wife just upgraded to another feature phone-the LG Octane where I found out a small data package(optional) was available - $10.00 for 75MB. Guess what I'm going to do. I think Verizon only sells feature phones and smart phones. No more multimedia phones. Do any feature phones currently sold still have manditory data plans?

10. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    Although the 3G Multimedia phones are going away, any remaining stock will still have the $10+ data requirement on it. Verizon still has refurbished enV Touch, Alias2, and Chocolate Touch phones on the web site. I tried to activate my enV Touch on prepay and I was prompted that I'd have to have it on a monthly plan with data.

But with the exit of 3G Multimedia category means that the replacement of the aforementioned phones will not have the data plan requirement. For instance, the LG Octane, the enV3's replacement, has no data plan requirements. The same goes for the Samsung Zeal (Alias2's replacement) and the LG Cosmos Touch.

Of course, the smartphones will still have mandatory data attached :)

11. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Most of the time you can get the data plan dropped off the Multimedia phones if you ask. Not always, but most of the time you can do it with cust service or in a store.

12. SoGaUser

SoGaUser Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG EnV touch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I had a conversation with a customer service rep yesterday while switching from the 25MB plan to the 75MB plan for $10.00 on my EnV-Touch. She said that all smartphone plans now have to have the $29.99 unlimited data plan. There is no longer an option for a lesser sized data plan if you purchase a smartphone. I am pretty sure that was new purchases. :eek:

13. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Here is the updated list as of 2/25/2011:

Feature Phones NOT Requiring a Data Plan:

Casio G'zOne Brigade
    Casio G'zOne Ravine
    LG Accolade
    LG Cosmos
    LG Cosmos Touch
    LG Octane
    KIN ONEm
    KIN TWOm
    Motorola Barrage
    Pantech Crux
    Pantech Jest
    Samsung Convoy
    Samsung Gusto
    Samsung Haven
    Samsung Intensity II
    Verizon Wireless CDM8975
    Verizon Wireless Escapade
    Verizon Wireless Salute

ALL phones above carry the $175 Early Termination Fee. All smartphones carry the $350 ETF. Check the Verizon Wireless site for further clarification and information. Phone information lists whether a data package is required and what the ETF is for a specific device.

Verizon recently discontinued the $15 for 150MB data plan option. Whether this will be reinstated or revised remains to be seen. Verizon has indicated they plan to offer tiered data plans at some point.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only one phone requires a reduced price data plan ($10 for 75MB, and $10 for every 75MB used above the basic allotment) as a minimum requirement (the $29.99 Unlimited Data plan is available for this phone):

LG enV Touch

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the iPhone, iPad, Mobile Hotspots, USB Modems (3G or 4G/LTE), etc., consult VZW's site for more detailed information regarding plans, conditions, and terms.