Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon with new/young crowd

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by kyocera2235verizon, Jul 25, 2002.

1. kyocera2235verizon

kyocera2235verizon Junior Member

Well i'm 14, and I use Verizon.. I only use Verizon because my dad's company has a huge pooling plan and pretty much gets my **** for free as a bonus cause they use so many minutes. I'm just kinda mad because verizon is not with the new/young crowd like cingular/voicestream. They dont sell the cool phones, they dont have the download-able ring tones, or anything thats really cool, but still they are the leading service provider in the country? The only reason they are the leading is because of their reception and stuff like that. But their customer service is pitiful. It took my dad 3 weeks and 2 salespersons just to get me a phone...Why are they in with the new stuff? They'd get even more customers.

2. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Frankie,

Yes it seems that Verizon and even Sprint to some degree aren't as popular with the younger crowds as Cingular and T-Mobile. When I look around at all the under 25 crowd here in Los Angeles, most seem to be using the Nokia's with Cingular. I think the Nokia phones (which Cingular and VoiceStream really push) have a lot to do with that. All the young people think they're really cool. Verizon is only the industry leader because of the mergers and acquisitions of other smaller carriers that they have made. It really has nothing to do with their reception. As far as I know they have never led the industry in subscriber growth as Sprint did for over 3 1/2 years and now VoiceStream.

3. kyocera2235verizon

Well does anyone know why Verizon doesn't carry the whole Nokia line??

4. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The main reason is that Nokia doesn't really make that many phones for CDMA carriers such as Verizon. There have been some issues in the past with Nokia's having problems on CDMA networks because of the chip they use. They don't use the Qualcomm chip which are used by most other manufacturers. Sprint used to carry a couple of them (6185 and 5170) but ended up ending their relationship with Nokia because of too many negative issues.

5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I feel you 2235, I think exactly like you. T-mobile sucks here, ATT isn't here, and Cingular pisses me off. So that leaves me Sprint and Verizon, Verizon had the better plan so I took it. I wish Verizon had better phones (like and 8260). Maybe Verizon will carry the Nokia 3585, it looks great. I hope they do.

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    VoiceStream does try an directly market to the younger crowd - once they get hooked they won't want to give up their number [​IMG] They've also done a good job marketing the build in AIM. Of course it has been in the 3390Gold for some time, and I think it's in the Samsung r225 and the latest T-Mobile Moto T193.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Larry, I will disagree with you on the Sprint PCS issue. I've seen many people in there late teen's and early 20's carry a Sprint PCS phone. Sprint has some really cool phone's and features not to meation with lower credit checks so at least around here they seem to be pretty popular with the younger crowd.

I'd have to say Cingular and Sprint PCS around here seem to have a younger crowd.

8. cryogenic

cryogenic Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung A990
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree with Dan here... around here (Knoxville, TN), the under-25 crowd generally goes with Cingular or Sprint... I know a TON of people with Sprint... it seems that most of them don't go out of the major metro area much, so coverage is never much of an issue with them, and they want a "cool" phone, even if they don't use half the features it has. It seems to be a bragging rights sort of thing, a pissing contest, if you will. On the other hand, the older crowd seems to look at price plans and coverage more than cool new gadgetry. There are obviously exceptions to this rule, but I'm just expressing my general observations about this area.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey kid,

Your getting free "____".... why do you even care? You don't really need a phone at your age, unless your a genius broker of some sort. So, "just chill" and enjoy the ride. Pretty soon, you'll be "paying" what you want, how you want it.

As for the note about Verizon, and the young crowd... Well, phones are phones. We use them to make calls. They were never intended to be portable computers. Too much money is spent on useless/frivolous features. Companies should focus more on appearance, realiability, SIZE, and WEIGHT.

No one take offense, because that's just a hint of ignorance....

10. Fullstrength

Fullstrength Junior Member

Regardless if its free, It still should be attractive, I have never been impressed by Verizon's phones. Also communication is extremely important at any age. If my son wanted cell phone i would provide it. Because

A. He/She is reachable
    B. Can call 911, if needed.
    C. Can be located.

The arguement against teens having cellular is really weak.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Verizon does have the v60. That is a cool phone...

12. kyocera2235verizon

yeah thats about the only cool thing that they have...and its price is outrageous

13. Dennis

Dennis Junior Member

Hey Verizon has the TM510. It has all the features of the v60 except the plug in FM radio and at a fraction of the price. I never thought the silver color on the v60 was attractive anyway.[​IMG]

14. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Also the new V60i (Changeable covers)

Jack

15. skadoo323

skadoo323 Junior Member

I got the new v60i and I do agree that its highly priced, but when i got my phone there was a rebate deal going on, plus I sold my old phone on ebay, so I got money from that to use towards getting this v60i. Overall I like its features. I used to have Sprint service and had the Sanyo 5150 color lcd phone which also was feature packed, but the v60i is great in features. If anyone is looking to get a v60i just be a wise shopper and compare prices and look for rebates.