Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Wireless releases 'Network Extender'

Discussion in 'Wireless News' started by JFB, Jan 26, 2009.

1. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    *Press Release*

VERIZON WIRELESS “NETWORK EXTENDER” ENHANCES IN-HOME CALL CAPABILITIES

“Like Getting A Million-Dollar Cell Site In Your Home For $249.99”

BASKING RIDGE, N.J. – Verizon Wireless customers now have a new option for enhancing wireless coverage inside homes where location, geography or structural conditions interfere with reception. Customers can purchase the Verizon Wireless Network Extender online, by phone or at select Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, allowing them to enhance the signal inside their homes using any Verizon Wireless phone.

“Our new Network Extender device will bring the full benefit of the Verizon Wireless voice network to the small but important segment of customers who may experience a weaker signal in their homes because of geographic or structural conditions,” said Jack Plating, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Verizon Wireless. “Current and prospective customers have told us they want this, and we are responding to that demand. For those who have wanted to sign up for Verizon Wireless service but hesitated because of reception problems unique to their home location, this is the answer.”

Verizon Wireless Network Extender – a “mini-cell site” manufactured by Samsung – is about the size of a wireless router box or small attaché case and routes Verizon Wireless calls through the customer’s home broadband Internet connection. Network Extender is easy to set up and ready to use right out of the box and can provide coverage in an area of up to 5,000 square feet. The price is $249.99, plus local taxes, and there are no monthly fees.

“It’s like getting a million-dollar cell site in your home for $249.99,” said Mr. Plating. “Network Extender makes Verizon Wireless’ reliable network even more reliable, filling in nooks and crannies for customers who see the need.”

Network Extender is ideal for customers who want to enhance the wireless signal when making voice calls, sending text/picture/video messages, accessing Mobile Web or accessing smartphone/BlackBerry® data in situations that could include houses with structural barriers; basement rooms; or some remote, mountainous or hilly areas. Network Extender also can provide improved network access for customers living on the geographical fringes of the Verizon Wireless network. Network Extender does not support EV-DO speeds and services that require it.

Customers, their Family SharePlan® members and other Verizon Wireless customers can use their current phones and calling plans to place calls using the Network Extender. Customers also can manage access to their Network Extender through the account management feature on their My Verizon online account. Customers do not need to update their plans or add minutes and will incur no additional monthly charges for calls using Network Extender.

Verizon Wireless’ Network Extender is available at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless, by calling 800-256-4646, and at select Verizon Wireless Communications Stores. For more information, visit www.verizonwireless.com/networkextender.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 JFB, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  2. MasterC

MasterC Junior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 3G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thats very intresting. Seems like to me that Verizon is coming out with some really good things so far to get the upperhand on the competition.

3. Jerro

Jerro Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Its a good start. But calls should be free to the owner. And if left OPEN, owners should get credit for outsiders calls over their broadband. After all its a cell tower, small as it is. This would be nice in a small business too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Looks good. I wonder when AT&T is going to realease their Femtocell. Its supposed to be out soon.

-Jay

5. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I wonder if the at&t version will support 3G data or will it only be an EDGE connection.

6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    $249.99????

That's an awful lot of cash to drop to supplement the mighty VZW network that we are told is near flawless! ;)

I am not so upset anymore that Sprint charges $5/mo for their femtocell considering they sell it for $99!

7. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I had heard rumors on AT&T's customer forums that it will be 3G only, and not support 2G devices, but that just doens't make sense to me.

-jay

8. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    That is 100%. Weird, isn't it. AT&T users are at a huge disadvantage with this. A majority of users do not have a 3G phone. This is a big fail in my mind.

9. TWX

TWX Mobile Enthusiast

My Phone:
    iPhone 5s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    That would be a bummer, and it wouldn't allow them to collect a ton of cash from the 2G customers. Maybe at&t is too good for their own 2G network ;)

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    so we have two very crucial points.......while the device is completely unsusidized.......there is no monthly fee and it STILL doesnt use plan minutes

11. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    While the device doesn't use plan minutes, I am not sure how beneficial this is. Perhaps some people might be able to switch to cheaper plans with fewer minutes? I think most people these days have enough minutes in their plans for their usage patterns at home. My girlfriend and i do not have a landline, but we would have no use for unlimited minutes at home, as we have plenty of minutes in our plan. Those that don't use their phones much have a landline (in all likelihood). And these days the most common reasons I hear for people still having a landline is that they have it for their DSL, they want a landline for emergency use, or they want to be able to keep their mobile life and their home life separate, and chances are having unlimited minutes while using the device won't affect any of those 3 reasons.

12. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah think of how many months of service we get (at $5/month) before it adds up to the extra $150 that Verizon charges for the device.

13. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    According to Verizon's website this device costs $250 and DOES use plan minutes. I'm glad that Verizon has this device but I'm very disappointed on the price of the unit and the fact that Verizon isn't making it clear whether it uses minutes or does not.

Sprint's device has a better pricing structure and is clearer on what exactly the unit offers.

14. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    True, the official PR posted by Joe seems to indicate it does use plan minutes.

15. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    This is directly from Verizon's FAQ on the Network Extender:

3. Do I have to pay additional fees to use a Network Extender?

No. There are no additional costs to use the Network Extender. You only need to purchase the unit. All rates and policies associated with your chosen calling plan also apply when connected to the Network Extender.

Answers to FAQs

16. rjniles

rjniles Member

My Phone:
    MOTO E4 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I read the whole FAQ but can seem to find if the Network Extender allows you to receive incoming calls to you wireless handset? Also if my home telephone system is Bluetooth compatiblle, will I be able to interface the Network Extender to my wired phones?

17. Jay2TheRescue

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    No, the only way to use landline telephones with a cell phone is to use a device like Phonelabs Dock-N-Talk. I have a Bluetooth Dock-N-Talk that I use with landline telephones and I love it.

-Jay

18. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    OK, so we are all agreeing that there are no additional costs but it does use your minutes?

19. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    According to Verizon's FAQ it uses your plan minutes while on the Extender.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    My Airave with Sprint also uses my plan minutes. So not sure why that is being pointed out as a negative for Verizon?

21. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Only a negative in that the device costs $250.

22. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    Dosen't the T Mobile unit allow free calls @ Home?

23. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I think so, but isn't it $10 per line? Or is it just $10/mo? Sprint offers unlimited calls for $20/mo.

24. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    It is also cheaper to buy than VZWs

25. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Doesn't T-Mobile's unit only work with certain phones?

26. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
  27. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I feel like this whole thing is a scam: VZW is basically asking users to pay, not only for the unit itself, but also the broadband access, power, ect, all in the effort to increase VZW's coverage. The owner should, at the very least, be able to lock it down so that others won't be able to hijack a signal off of it (kinda like the way users are able to lock down their WiFi access points).

If other users are allowed to use it (priority or not) then the origonal purchaser should get unlimited minutes or something....i guess VZW really only expect people in marginal signal areas to invest in the device..

PS: SmArTeStChIlD421, you left out a crucial sentence in your blurb "Using the Network Extender doesn't use up any additional minutes on the user's plan or accrue additional charges, a Verizon spokeswoman added. However, users will be charged against their plan, in minutes, for any calls they make."

So yea, you are using your normal pool of minuets... AND other users can leech off the signal... I like VZW and all, but this all sounds stupiud (sic) to me.

28. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Honestly the range on these units is not all that great and I doubt that would really be a problem. Maybe the resident next door to you or behind you could pick up the signal but by the time it leaves your house it's usually down to 1-2 bars.

29. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    $150 is $5 for 30 months or 2.5 years.

Sprint, Verizon and T-Mobile offers all have advantages and disadvantages. That's how they distinguish from each other. Sprint and Verizon use minutes but T-mobile doesn't. But T-Mobile costs $10/month while Verizon doesn't charge anything per month.

But Verizon coming out with this product kinda goes against how they promote their network which according to their ads is omnipresent. You would think Verizon has no need for a product like this.

30. Jerro

My Phone:
    LG EV 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZw
    But they do need it. There are highly populated Verizon holes around Philly for instance.