Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Wireless launches EVDO in Logan, UT

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Andy, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    EVDO Rev A in Logan and surrounding communities was launched on October 1st. No official Verizon announcement yet but I am sure it will come sooner or later!

Does Sprint already have EVDO up there? I know AT&T has no 3g up there yet.

2. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Press Release Source: Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless Expands High-Speed Wireless Broadband Network to Logan and Southern Utah
    Thursday October 4, 8:00 am ET
    Ultra Fast Network Offers Access to Wireless Internet, E-Mail, Mobile Music, Videos and More

SALT LAKE CITY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Verizon Wireless customers in more Utah locations can now get e-mail, real-time corporate data, access to the Internet and much more at faster speeds. As the company rolls out its high-speed broadband network today, coverage now extends to:
    Logan area, including Utah State University and the towns of Hyde Park, Hyrum, Millville, Newton, Providence and Richmond
    Southern Utah, including the towns of Cedar City, Enoch, Hurricane, LaVerkin, Parowan, Rockville and Toquerville
    In addition to these areas, BroadbandAccess coverage in Utah includes the Wasatch Front from Ogden to Payson, including the Salt Lake City metropolitan area, Brigham City, Park City, St. George, Tooele and Wendover.

Based on CDMA 1x Evolution-Data Optimized (EV-DO) Revision A (Rev. A) technology, the expanded wireless broadband network provides Verizon Wireless customers with data uplink speeds significantly faster than the company's award-winning national EV-DO network, which the company first launched in Utah in December 2005.

"Our broadband network expansion has something for everyone on the go," said Melanie Braidich, regional president of Verizon Wireless. "BroadbandAccess lets our business customers experience a truly untethered mobile office experience with remote access to corporate data on their laptops and e-mail on their PDAs. With V CAST, consumers can enjoy a comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and exciting 3D games."

BroadbandAccess: The wireless data solution

The company's flagship business data service, BroadbandAccess, provides average download speeds of 600 kilobits per second (kbps) to 1.4 megabits and average upload speeds of 500-800 kbps. This means customers with Rev. A-compatible devices can download a 1 Megabyte e-mail attachment -- the equivalent of a small PowerPoint® presentation or a large PDF file -- in about eight seconds and upload the same-sized file in less than 13 seconds.

Verizon Wireless offers several BroadbandAccess devices for the company's wireless broadband network. These devices are fully compatible with the company's NationalAccess network (based on CDMA 1xRTT technology), giving customers the ability to remain connected if they travel outside of the wireless broadband coverage area.

V CAST: Video, Music, 3D games

The company's high-speed network also enables its V CAST multimedia services, offering customers the ability to download full song tracks, play cutting-edge 3D games and stream video clips on breaking news, sports, and entertainment straight to their phones. Content is updated daily.

Coverage

Verizon Wireless was the first national wireless provider to commercially launch a high-speed wireless broadband network in the United States. Today, its entire nationwide wireless broadband network has been enhanced to Rev. A technology and reaches more than two-thirds of the U.S. population -- more than 210 million people.

For more information about Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

About Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless operates the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 62.1 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 67,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ - News) and Vodafone (NYSE:VOD - News; LSE:VOD - News). Find more information on the Web at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.

Verizon Wireless
    Bob Kelley, 303-694-8990
    robert.kelley@verizonwireless.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Source: Verizon Wireless

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Thanks for posting this...I'm proud I got my hands on info before a Press Release was issued. ;)

Verizon already had some streches of EVDO along I-15 so this will connect those stretches and cities and give users the largest EVDO network in Utah.

4. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Where did you get your info andy?

5. Ironwalt

Ironwalt Junior Member
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah Andy! Where did you get your info? Don't make us get the bright lights out and make you talk. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Andy thanks for explaing that to me

7. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No, Sprint does not have EVDO here.

However, I am glad at the announcement. Verizon has upped the ante. Get it together, Sprint! I hope this gives them some incentive to get some towers built to both solve the horrible capacity issues as well as built out EVDO in Cache Valley.

8. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Nick thanks for letting me know about sprints coveage.

9. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just passed through Logan Friday and again tonight- EVDO is up and running and very fast. I forced Sprint and, especially close to USU the Ec/Io was over the roof so I'm not surprised you are having capacity issues in Logan with Sprint.

10. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    If only Sprint could roam on Verizon's EVDO...

Edit: Hmm, maybe it does. My phone shows the same 1x icon, but I can actually watch streaming videos if I foarce roaming on Verizon and it is markedly faster (on Sprint, YouTube is too choppy and too slow to be of any use).

I think it's funny how Sprint just sent me this email telling me how "fast" and "strong" their signal is in "the area that matters most" to me when it is really Verizon who has improved their already superior network in my area.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Actually it is no surprise to me that the 1x data on Verizon is faster than the 1x data on Sprint. If Sprint has capacity issues in your area and if their network overall is not as stellar, your data will suffer majorly, so since Verizon's network is in good shape in your area, you will get fast 1x data streams.

12. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Do you think some of the capacity issues on Sprint are from Quest and MVNO customers??? If so, Sprints MVNO fascination may finally be taking its toll on their network.

13. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I doubt it because Qwest honestly does not have that many wireless customers, and the one Qwest Wireless customer I know barely uses his phone at all.

14. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Regardless of whether the subscribers are with Sprint or Qwest or Virgin Mobile or whatever, it is still Sprint's network and they need build it to support the demanded capacity in the area. These resellers only pay Sprint because they expect Sprint to maintain the cellular network and provide adequate capacity. Sprint gets money from these companies, you know, so it shouldn't be that much to ask...

I don't want to be here when there is an actual emergency and Sprint's network completely collapses on itself. If I can't even place calls or send text messages in the off-peak, middle of the night, what makes anyone think I will be able to place calls or send messages when I really need to do so. I am worried.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Just keep doing what you've been doing...using Verizon's network. :)

16. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Even Verizon's network wouldn't be able to handle an emergency-induced call spike. Besides, since they will be supporting all of their own customers plus all of Sprint's, no CDMA user in Cache Valley is safe :p

17. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL.............

18. Gman

Gman Senior Member

My Phone:
    Epic 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Cell phone networks are not designed to meet capacity needs in an emergency. No network is and may never be with current technology. Land lines go down due to capacity surges in an emergency very quicky as well and they've been around much longer.

19. Fred333

Fred333 Junior Member

My Phone:
    I would love an iPhone!
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That is such a shame. I wish they would do something about that.

20. nick2588

nick2588 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung m510
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint's EVDO went live in Logan today.

I'm completely surprised. There was no official press release or anything, but it is definitely here now. Yes! :D

21. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Very nice nick it is about damn time they turn it on.