Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Wireless Invests More Than $37 Million In 2007 to Enhance Wisconsin Network

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by Andy, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Verizon Wireless Invests More Than $37 Million In 2007 to Enhance Wisconsin Network
    New Cell Sites, Equipment Upgrades, and High-Speed Wireless Network Expansion Improve System

Media Contact Info

Carolyn Schamberger
    carolyn.schamberger1@verizonwireless.com
    847-619-4282

Dana Carpenter
    dana@corecreative.com
    414-291-0912 ext. 111

01/15/2008

MILWAUKEE, WI — Verizon Wireless announced today it has invested more than $37 million in 2007 to enhance its digital network in Wisconsin. The enhancements included building new cell sites, upgrading existing cell sites, increasing coverage area, and expanding its high-speed wireless broadband network to many new markets.

“Our mission in 2008 is to continue perfecting our network so that our customers can depend on us every time they pick up their wireless phones,” said T.J. Fox, president–Wisconsin/Illinois Region, Verizon Wireless.

Since the company was formed in 2000, Verizon Wireless has invested over $222 million on improvements to its network in Wisconsin, including the following upgrades made in 2007:

Ten new cell sites were activated statewide to improve network coverage and capacity, enabling more customers to use their phones concurrently to make calls; send and receive e-mail and text, picture and video messages; download music, games and ringtones; and view high-quality videos while enjoying clearer reception and fewer dropped calls.
    Equipment on 51 existing cell sites throughout the state was upgraded, which further improved network capacity.
    Sixty-five permanent backup generators were installed at Wisconsin cell sites to ensure network functionality during times of crisis.

The company also expanded its high-speed wireless broadband network in the Greater Milwaukee, Madison and Fox Valley areas and now has a coverage area that spans approximately 7,500 square miles around Wisconsin With the upgraded network, Verizon Wireless customers are enjoying two prime services:
    BroadbandAccess, the enhanced high-speed wireless service that equips Verizon Wireless’ business customers with a truly untethered mobile office experience, enabling them to wirelessly access their calendars, the Internet, email and critical business information residing behind their companies’ firewalls; and
    V CAST, a consumer-oriented multimedia service that gives customers access to the most comprehensive selection of downloadable music, high-quality videos and the coolest 3D games found anywhere.
    About Verizon Wireless
    Verizon Wireless operates the nation’s most reliable wireless voice and data network, serving 63.7 million customers. The largest U.S. wireless company and largest wireless data provider, based on revenues, Verizon Wireless is headquartered in Basking Ridge, N.J., with 68,000 employees nationwide. The company is a joint venture of Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ) and Vodafone (NYSE and LSE: VOD). Find more information on the Web at Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. To preview and request broadcast-quality video footage and high-resolution stills of Verizon Wireless operations, log on to the Verizon Wireless Multimedia Library at www.verizonwireless.com/multimedia.

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Re: Verizon Wireless Invests More Than $37 Million In 2007 to Enhance Wisconsin Netwo

Continue perfecting? Very nicely worded marketing jargon I have to admit. :rolleyes:.

So, if I had stuck with Verizon maybe, just maybe I would not have to stand at the NW window when the wind was from the SW to get an usable signal? Maybe I wouldn't have my calls to CS be disconnected 30 secs into it & hey maybe I might even have been able to get an usuable signal to do a PRL update once in a while?

Sorry, but with only a 1900 Mhz license and limiting most phones capability to force roam on USCC, Verizon would not be my recommendation to anyone from my area.

This announcement sounds very familiar, when I first got verizon in december of 2002, the sales rep showed me a newspaper clipping for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that said almost the same thing.

Heck, even Sprint has better reception from my house and surrounding area. lol

PS: Andy, you knew I was definitely going to reply to this, so didn't want to disaappoint you. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sillybilly

sillybilly Senior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung Mesmerize
    Wireless Provider(s):
    USCC
    Re: Verizon Wireless Invests More Than $37 Million In 2007 to Enhance Wisconsin Netwo

That's good to hear. Too bad I'm going to have to switch back to USCC just so I can get normal battery life. Charlyee is right, and now they are taking away the capability to force phones into Extended Network!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

You know I posted this just for you so you could complain about Verizon in your neck of the woods :D
    I figured it would be nice to see someone complaining about a provider other than Sprint for once. :D

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell

Lol, you must have been missing my Verizon complaints ever since I dropped them. ;)

Seriously though, as you know, any provider can say what they want to say and make themselves look the best but ultimately it is the end user's opinion & experience that matters..

As an example (Larry are you reading this?), there has been a flurry of negative threads about Sprint lately, but down in this area just about every HS, College student and young adult seem to have Sprint and really are very happy with the service and everything they can do with their phones that Verizon limits. I have heard more complaints about Verizon & T-Mobile than any other provider around here.

6. cellular_freak

cellular_freak Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

So they're investing a lot into Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin, but what about Michigan? There's still a lot that they need to do here. It's been awhile since I've seen a news release for anything that's had to do with anything around here. I'd also love to see them buy out Thumb Cellular!!!!!

7. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

Hold your horses...A Michigan Press Release will come...:)

8. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S8
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint

Right. Regardless of what anyone else says coverage is a very subjective thing and can vary a lot from person to person even in the same areas. We all have own individual needs.

9. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.

I have seen at least 3 new Verizon sites in my area just in the last 6 months, but my area is new for them still. (only been here a year)

10. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):

I dont think Thumb is going anywhere, there parent company got ahold of alot 12 meg of 700mhz for most of the Great Lakes area. They say its for WiFi but maybe they want to expand.

11. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Really? What part of Michigan?

12. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

That's so odd that they would get 700 MHz for such a large area. I couldn't imagine Thumb Cellular expanding. What would they call themselves then? I really wouldn't want to see Thumb Cellular expand anyways due to the fact that they have expensive phones, expensive plans, and their N&W and M2M only apply in the Thumb. I would so much rather see Verizon or Alltel buy them out. Also, Verizon or Alltel would then benefit from gaining the 700 MHz.

13. RadioFoneGuy

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):

on the west side of 75 between Cadillac and the Bridge.

14. cellular_freak

My Phone:
    iPhone 5S 64GB White
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless

Ahh. Okay, I did see on Verizon's coverage viewer that they were servicing that area now, but it's good to know that they are expanding.

Something I just thought of: Verizon has a PCS license for part of the Thumb, do you think they would ever use it and deploy service there? Sprint is already making headway here.

15. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial

"Hand Cellular"

(picture map of the Great Lakes/Michigan)