Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Wireless Integration

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Joe912, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Joe912

Joe912 New Member

My Phone:
    Razr Maxx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (past US Cellular, Alltel, At&t)
    This is from the Alltel Site...

Verizon Wireless recently completed its purchase of Alltel and work is underway to merge the two companies. During the next several months, we will upgrade the Alltel network and integrate it into Verizon Wireless’ nationwide voice and advanced broadband network to bring you the best wireless experience available and to offer you the full suite of Verizon Wireless services.

At this time, no action is required on your part. Your wireless service plan, including My Circle, will remain the same. Verizon Wireless will contact you by mail prior to any changes that may impact your service when the integration is complete in your area.

The following frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Alltel-Verizon Wireless merger provide additional information for current Alltel customers in markets that will be integrated with Verizon Wireless.

Alltel Web FAQs for Customers in Markets to be Integrated

Network and Brand Transition

Will all Alltel customers automatically become a Verizon Wireless customer?
    Although the legal transaction has been finalized and Verizon Wireless has legally become the owner of Alltel, it will be several months before Alltel customers become Verizon Wireless customers. Also, as part of the regulatory approval process required for this purchase, Verizon Wireless agreed to sell certain properties where both Alltel and Verizon Wireless overlap to preserve competition in those markets. As a result, Alltel customers in those areas will not be part of the merger with Verizon Wireless.

Do I need to take any action now to become a Verizon Wireless customer?
    Customers do not need to take any action at this time. Your Alltel calling plan and features, including My Circle, will remain the same through the transition period. Verizon Wireless will contact you in advance, by mail, if and when you need to take any action.

When will I become a Verizon Wireless customer?
    For markets that will become part of Verizon Wireless, there will be a transition period of several months before the name of the business is changed to Verizon Wireless and customers are moved, in phases, to the Verizon Wireless network and billing system. During the transition period, you will continue with your current Alltel calling plan, including My Circle, and receive a bill that says "Alltel." When the transition is complete in your area, you will become a Verizon Wireless customer and receive a bill that says "Verizon Wireless." Additional calling plan options may be offered to you at the end of your contract period.

Since both Alltel and Verizon Wireless use CDMA networks, why is a transition period necessary?
    The transition involves integrating the networks to make available the full suite of Verizon Wireless services, and a billing system conversion.

Will my coverage and call quality be the same after I become a Verizon Wireless customer?
    For customers in markets that will become part of Verizon Wireless, coverage and call quality will be enhanced over the next several months and customers will be able to take advantage of Verizon Wireless' expansive, most reliable nationwide voice and data network, including the nation's largest 3G network.

Will my customer agreement remain in effect through the transition period?
    Yes, Alltel customer agreements will remain in effect for the term specified and for the services specified.

Can I switch to Verizon Wireless now instead of waiting until the transition period is over?
    Alltel customers who switch before the transition is complete will become new Verizon Wireless customers with new customer agreements. Alltel customers who wish to switch before the transition is complete will make a standard application for Verizon Wireless service and be subject to Alltel applicable terms and conditions, including early termination fees. By switching, you will gain access to Verizon Wireless price plans and the company's full suite of services such as VZ Navigator, V CAST Music, IN calling to other Verizon Wireless customers without using your minutes.

How can I determine if I will be able to switch to Verizon Wireless during the transition period?
    Alltel customers are able to verify if they can switch to Verizon Wireless service during the transition period by visiting Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. Select Plans>Keep Your Number and then enter your mobile telephone number to determine if service is available in your area now.

Will I pay an early termination fee if I don't want Verizon Wireless service and switch to another carrier?
    Since Alltel customer agreements will remain in effect for the term specified, customers who choose to cancel their agreement and move to another carrier will pay an ETF.

Does Verizon Wireless plan to continue Lifeline credits?
    Yes, VZW plans to continue participating in the program and will continue to provide the Lifeline credits.

Phones/Handsets

Will my current wireless device continue to work during the Verizon Wireless conversion?
    Alltel customers may continue to use their current wireless devices with existing Alltel services.

Will I need to purchase a new wireless device after the conversion?
    In most cases, no. Most Alltel customers' wireless devices will work on the Verizon Wireless network after conversion. Based on wireless device testing to date, a small percentage of Alltel customers (less than 1 percent) may need to replace their wireless devices for use on the Verizon Wireless network after the conversion. These are older wireless devices that do not contain the chipset required to receive over-the-air software changes to enable the wireless device to work on the Verizon Wireless network. Customers who want to take advantage of Verizon Wireless data services, such as VZ Navigator, V CAST and others, or choose to migrate early to Verizon Wireless will need to purchase a Verizon Wireless device.

Will my device insurance remain in effect?
    Your wireless device insurance will remain the same until the conversion to Verizon Wireless. You will receive information about the insurance program prior to the conversion and be advised if you need to take action.

Will I be able to keep my phone number when I become a Verizon Wireless customer?
    Yes.

Will I be able to keep my prepay account?
    Your prepay phone will continue to work through the transition. When customers in your area are migrated to Verizon Wireless, you may want to take advantage of the company's INpulse service which is prepaid and offers IN calling to other Verizon Wireless customers without using your minutes. When the transition is complete, former Alltel customers will have IN calling to some 80 million Verizon Wireless customers.

Verizon Wireless Services

Will Verizon Wireless offer My Circle?
    My Circle will continue to be available to Alltel customers while they are on an Alltel price plan. At this time, Verizon Wireless is evaluating whether a similar plan will be offered to new and existing Verizon Wireless customers.

When will I have IN calling with Verizon Wireless customers?
    IN calling, which lets you talk with other Verizon Wireless customers without using your plan minutes, will be available to customers who switch to a Verizon Wireless calling plan before the conversion. When the conversion is complete, former Alltel customers will have IN calling to some 80 million Verizon Wireless customers.

How do I get VZ Navigator, V CAST Music and other cool services from Verizon Wireless?
    To take advantage of the full suite of Verizon Wireless services, including VZ Navigator, V CAST Music and other data services, you will need to select a Verizon Wireless device and price plan.

Stores

Will Alltel stores remain open?
    Alltel stores will remain open during the transition period. As part of our ongoing effort to offer the best service, Verizon Wireless continually reviews store locations to ensure they are in optimal locations. Store signage will change to Verizon Wireless in phases, as markets transition through the billing conversion.

Can I visit a Verizon Wireless store now to purchase a new wireless device?
    Only customers who want to switch their service to Verizon Wireless now and are in markets where both Alltel and Verizon Wireless currently operate are able to purchase a new wireless device at Verizon Wireless stores. Other Alltel customers would need to visit an Alltel store and purchase a new Alltel device, however, access to the full suite of Verizon Wireless services requires a Verizon Wireless device.

Can I visit a Verizon Wireless store to get my wireless device serviced or pay my bill?
    No. Alltel customers should continue to visit Alltel stores to have their devices serviced. Payment options for Alltel customers will remain the same. Customers may pay their bill via Alltel's My Account, #PAY or by calling 800-255-8351 or *611.

Customer Service and Information

How do I contact customer service?
    Alltel customers should continue to call Alltel customer service at 800-255-8351 or *611. When customers are migrated to Verizon Wireless, they will receive a bill from Verizon Wireless which will include a number for customer service.

What benefits will I receive as a Verizon Wireless customer?
    As a Verizon Wireless customer, you will enjoy service on the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network, IN calling, the New Every Two device credit after two years on a qualified price plan and the company's Worry Free Guarantee. To find out about the full array of Verizon Wireless products and services, visit Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless.

2. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Hmm they are considering My Circle. Interesting.

3. Joe912

Joe912 New Member

My Phone:
    Razr Maxx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I hope they will add it to their plans :)

4. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I would love a Verizon MyCircle ... full-blown or some variant! I am not that picky; I'll take almost any bone that Verizon throws at the original red brethen;)

Also, at the Alltel Site, if you enter your Alltel-licensed zip code, the following page will either have a "Merger Information" link (for soon to be divested customers) or "Verizon Wireless Integration" link (for soon to be Verizon users). So it is a slick way to see if you will become a Verizon user in the future by doing nothing (or otherwise).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 QLR, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  5. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I live less than a quarter mile from a zip code border.

29341 (Gaffney, SC - Cherokee County) is being divested, which is my zip.

29330 (Cowpens, SC - Spartanburg County) is being integrated.

The same Alltel tower covers my entire street, which also spans the 2 zip codes.

It'll be hard to correctly divest the customers in my area, because the zip codes cross county lines.

Even though I'm 4 miles from the county line, the zip codes cross county lines, almost right to my location.

I wonder whats gonna happen in this case??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

Utimately it does not matter by ZIP CODE but Markets. One tower may service two zip codes, but will only be native to one market.

So whatever Market you are assigned to will determine you being divested or non-divested.

1 person likes this.
  7. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    Kyle, you should change your number to a Spartanburg number!

8. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I'd like to but I like my Gaffney number with the 864-812, which I've had for over 2 years.

Spartanburg Alltel numbers are 864-909 & 864-978.

I guess I'll stick with the Alltel number, and hope that we'll be divested to US Cellular.
    I hope theres some good things that come out of being divested rather than be integrated

9. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I guess there is a chance that you could get USCC since they are in Rutherford County to your north....I am betting it'll be at&t though.

10. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I would hope Verizon doesn't want to sell to AT&T, another behemoth company
    plus that doesn't create competition, because AT&T already covers this area.
    The reason for divesting is to maintain competition.

But If AT&T does buy our market then I'll move my number & service to Verizon for sure.
    Well I hope it goes to US Cellular though

And I hope the Greenville-Spartanburg market gets sold to whoever buys the surrounding divested markets,
    because I'd be on a license border with 2 different companies, ouch!

Even though that market isn't required to be divested, they could still sell it if they wanted to?

I already feel sorry for those who live on license borders near the NC & SC state lines,
    where Alltel and US Cellular border, like Landrum, SC.

#10 KyleAndMelissa22, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  11. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    In response to the Original Post, here's the message you get if you're in a divested area:

merger information
    As you may have heard, some Alltel Wireless properties will merge with Verizon Wireless in 2009. As part of the purchase agreement and to preserve competition in certain markets, Verizon is required to transition some properties to another service provider. The properties not merging with Verizon will continue to be served by Alltel - including your area.

No action is required on your part at this time. Be assured nothing related to your service will change during the transition period, which will continue until these properties are transitioned to another service provider. As we move through this transition, we will share more information as it becomes available. In the meantime, you will continue to receive the same great service you have come to expect from Alltel.

Rate Plan Questions

Will there be any changes to my calling plan, features or My Circle?
    No. There will not be any changes to your calling plan features or My Circle during the transition period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.

Can I keep my current plan?
    Yes. You can keep your current plan during the transition period. Any changes will be communicated to you in advance by your new wireless provider.

Can I still change to other rate plans Alltel offers?
    Yes. You can still change to other plans Alltel offers in your area during the transition period.

Will my coverage area change?
    No. There will not be any changes to your coverage area during the transition period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.

Will there be any changes to my prepaid service?
    No. There will not be any changes to prepaid service during the transition period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, the changes will be communicated in advance.

Feature Questions

Will my Axcess/Alltel Shop applications, such as games, ringtones, and ringbacks still work?
    Yes. All your current applications will continue to work during the transition period. If any changes are made to your service, more information will be communicated in advance.

Contract Questions

Is my contract still valid during the transition period?
    Yes. The terms and conditions of your contract are still valid.

Equipment and Accessory Questions

Can I still purchase Alltel offered equipment and accessories?
    Yes. You can still purchase equipment and accessories Alltel offers in your area during the transition period. You can view all the phones and accessories we have to offer online at alltel.com or at one of your local retail locations.

Billing/Payment Questions

Will there be any changes to my billing statement?
    No. There will not be any changes to your billing statement during the transition period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.

Will my bill still be due on the same day?
    Yes. There will not be any changes to your bill due date during the transition period.

Where do I make payments?
    We have many convenient payment options. You can continue making payments by phone, online, at a retail store or by mailing a payment to the remittance address on your bill. Please visit alltel.com for the store locations in your service area.

Do I still have to pay my bill?
    Yes. The terms and conditions of your service still apply.

Will my company discount still apply during the transition period?
    Yes. There will not be any changes to your rate plan or discount during the transition period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.

Will my military discount and suspend still apply?
    Yes. There will not be any changes to your military discount and we will still reserve your number during the transition period. If any changes are made to your service or plan, more information will be communicated in advance.

What will happen to the deposit I paid to Alltel?
    Your deposit will continue to be associated with your account. Once the terms and conditions for your deposit refund have been met, the deposit will be refunded to your account.

General Questions

Will I need to get a new number?
    No. There will not be any changes to your phone number during the transition period.

If I have phone numbers from multiple areas on my account, will part of my numbers be moved off of my account?
    No. There will not be any changes to your account at this time. If any changes are made to your account, more information will be communicated in advance.

Who do I contact if I need help?
    We will be happy to answer any questions about your wireless service or account. Please contact us in any way that is convenient for you:

12. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I highly doubt that Veizon will sell Greenville-Spartanburg. They are not going to let competition in. Who knows, we may be suprised and someone loke Cricket may buy up some of the spectrum. Time will tell.

13. KyleAndMelissa22

My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    We'll see what the new PRLs for Alltel & Verizon look like....

14. Joe912

Joe912 New Member

My Phone:
    Razr Maxx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I am looking forward to a new Verizon/Alltel PRL too...

One side of Vidalia GA is in Montgomery (A Verizon B Alltel) and Toombs (A AT&T B Alltel) The A side in Toombs used to be Cell One, then Cone Cellular, then US Cellular, then Origional At&T, now New At&T. Back then Alltel owned both sides of town but since they were diffrent markets they cherged roaming fees and your phone displayed Alltel on both sides it was a nightmare. They finally did away with that but it was a headache.

During this time Vidalia also had Bellsouth PCS (Cingular) when Old AT&T merged with Cingular and then become the New At&t they just merged their PCS & A block into one network.

Vidalia Lost a Carrier, so we are really looking forward to Verizon merging their Montgomery Network with the Alltel Network in Toombs. (Confused Yet?) lol

We have most of the major carriers in town but Verizon... At&t, Alltel, Sprint/Nextel, T-Mobile, Cricket, & Southern Linc but none of them have good coverage in Montgomery Co only Verizon & At&t have enough towers to cover Montgomery. Alltel is very spotty with miles of dead zones...

15. MrObvious

MrObvious Senior Member

Around here it's pure Alltel and the other carriers roam off Alltel it seems except for Sprint. GSM even roams off of Alltel here. But I'm in a Verizon market so once the thing is complete....

16. Joe912

Joe912 New Member

My Phone:
    Razr Maxx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel really did have some great plans. I hope Verizon adopts some of the Alltel options like the 7pm nights and some form of My Circle. I guess we will know in a few months ;)

17. WirelessBeachBum

WirelessBeachBum Soylent Green is People

My Phone:
    Thunderbolt...still
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW

I doubt they will do 7pm calling, they gain millions of customers per quarter without it, they have no pressure to ad it.