Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Verizon Wireless CDMA System vs. Unicel GSM System in Northeast N.Y.

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Blaise, Jan 8, 2006.

1. clock3687

clock3687 Cell Signal?????? Use it!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Google Nexus S
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    What are you talking about that VzW has got no EvDO coverage in Upstate NY. EvDO coverage is in albany, spreads west to schenectady, north to hudson falls, and spreads south down 87 to the surrounding areas. Syracuse has got it and it spreads east to utica. For now its only 1xRTT between Utica and Schenectady, but thats improving. As for the Adirondack Park, VzW needs to finish up coverage on the northway 1st before they blanket the area in EvDO. Its coming, just be patient.

If your hungry for EvDO sprint has got it in albany spreading west to amsterdam and in syracuse spreading east to herkimer. Like i said before just wait, itll b here before you know it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Smitty5332

Smitty5332 New Member

Looks like this wont matter anymore, Verizon has announced that they plan to purchase RCC (Unicel). They will be migrating customers to their CDMA technology and leaving the GSM network up for roaming partners.

3. dmarkson

dmarkson New England Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T, TMO, USC, BOOST, VIRG, PP
    This is not really going to change anything because Unicel's ENY/NVT system is in direct competition with Verizon. This rural area really has no other competition - Cingular, Sprint and T-Mobile are nonexistent in 90%+ of the coverage area.

Verizon will have to divest this system in ENY and NVT. They can keep SVT and most of the rest of Unicel's network. The question is who it goes to. I would guess USC, because Verizon would not want to hand it to Cingular, unless Cingular has something compelling to trade for it. T-Mo and Sprint don't seem to have any desire for a rural network.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Bill Clinton

Bill Clinton 10 years scandal free....

My Phone:
    HTC Mogul
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint, Unicel
    Yes I am interested in seeing what will happen. Of course I want Sprint to increase coverage in New York and Vermont but I'm not sure if they will.

T-Mobile or AT&T should try to get the GSM network so they don't have to roam in Burlington. Maybe they could start building a nice GSM network in Vermont. I would like to see another carrier in Vermont. Unicel and Verizon were competing for the top spot, Nextel was trailing by a significant margin, Sprint is not widely used, and US Cellular is not either. I think US Cellular is slightly more popular in southern VT but they don't have a large network in the Vermont.

With the buyout, Verizon is going to have at least twice as many customers as all the other carriers in Vermont combined. Wow. When they get CDMA on some of the Unicel towers they will also have the best coverage by far so a lot of people will look at Verizon when their Nextel/Sprint/US Cellular contract expires. At least it looks like Verizon cares about providing coverage in rural areas which is more than Sprint can say.

5. Smitty5332

Smitty5332 New Member

i honestly dont think this is the case. with what just happened with Dobson i think verizon just wanted to block at&t from getting RCC as well. I am actually employed by RCC and we still dont know if there will be layoffs or not. about 90% of the folks i have talked to wish at&t had purchased us instead of verizon.

6. Blaise

Blaise Junior Member

My Phone:
    V555
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel, Verizon
    This buyout will really suck for me.:mad: I switched to Unicel a couple of years ago because Unicel has much better coverage in the Adirondacks of North East New York then Verizon provides. Unicel has more sites in rural areas as compared to Verizon. So I wonder whats really going to happen? Will Verizon add CDMA to the existing Unicel GSM sites? This better be the case, or my coverage will be back to the way it was when I had Verizon - it sucked!

What do you guys think Verizon will do? Will they add CDMA to the existing Unicel GSM sites?

7. dmarkson

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    In Eastern NY, Verizon is going to have to divest the Unicel network. So the question will be what whoever buys it will do.

8. Blaise

Blaise Junior Member

My Phone:
    V555
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel, Verizon
    Why would they have to divest?

9. dmarkson

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    In that portion of eastern NY (esp that portion of the 'dacks) there are only two providers, Verizon and Unicel. If Verizon owned both those systems they would have a monopoly. They will have to sell it off so there is still competition.

10. Blaise

Blaise Junior Member

My Phone:
    V555
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel, Verizon
    So this would be the case for most of Vermont then, right?

Before they sold it off, do you they would add CDMA to the allready built Unicel GSM towers?

Any ideas who they would sell it to? I hope it will be AT&T, then I would switch over to AT&T because the GSM coverage is far better then CDMA here in northern N.Y. and Vermont.

11. dmarkson

My Phone:
    9530, v3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    This is the case for northern VT and eastern NY only. Verizon does not have a 850 license for southern VT/western NH, so they would keep that.

Part of the purchase will be that Verizon put the portion of the network to be divested into a special holding company (or something like that). They will not be able to do anything with it at all (except sell it).

Verizon and AT&T do not play nicely (Cingular would not even sell Litchfield Co CT to Verizon - it instead went to Alltel). I would not be surprised to see Verizon sell to U.S. Cellular, which does not own those areas, but would love to get that coverage - the question is whether its worth it to them to overlay CDMA - I would say yes. Would T-Mobile suddenly come alive and be interested in a rural network? - here is their chance!

12. Blaise

Blaise Junior Member

My Phone:
    V555
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel, Verizon
    Where did you get this information from?

From what others are saying, Verizon will expand their network through this purchase by adding CDMA technology to the newly bought Unicel GSM sites, while also keeping GSM available for roaming by other service providers. This was the whole purpose of the purchase.

13. strunke

strunke .:|Always Covered|:.

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8230, KRZR K1m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel, T-Mobile, Sprint, Centennial
    No he is correct. They will be expanding with cdma on the existing gsm sites. But because it would be considered a monopoly for your area then they would be required to divest one of the dual 850 licenses there in order to get the purchase approved by the gov't.

Those are only two areas of unicel's network, the rest they keep. I personally would love to see Alltel pick those up some how, not likely but it'd be nice, especially for the customers there.

14. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    I'd like to see that too. But they do have USCC there. I had them before I moved to the south and loved them. I am pretty sure USCC will get this hunk.

15. Blaise

Blaise Junior Member

My Phone:
    V555
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Unicel, Verizon
    Verizon recently agreed to provide coverage in the major dead spots along I87 (The Adirondack "Northway") in North East N.Y. These dead spot have been the location of some major fatal accidents that could have been prevented if there was cell coverage.

The law makers in Essex, Clinton and Franklin Counties of N.Y. and Gov. Eliot Spitzer's office have joined together with the environmentalists to form a committee to find a cell provider that will provide coverage for this area. Through many meetings with cellular providers, Verizon has stepped up to the plate and said they would build 11 new cell towers in the Adirondack Park along I87. One provision of this plan was to allow space for other providers to install their own panels on Verizon’s towers. Building anything in the Adirondack Park requires all kinds of permits and approval from the A.P.A. (Adirondack Park Association). Unicel has already gone through this process and built 2 or 3 towers along I87 over the last couple of years (along with many other towers in the rural areas).

I think one of the reasons Verizon bought Unicel was to help with this project, since Unicel has already built a few towers in this “dead spot” and obtained the necessary approval and permits. I think this purchase is part of Verizon’s plan to provide cell coverage to all the dead spots in the Adirondack Park.

So hopefully Verizon will take over where Unicel left off.

Here are some recent articles about Verizon’s coverage in the Adirondacks:

The Press Republican - Northway cell-phone agreement reached

The Press Republican - Communication nets communication system

The Press Republican - Cell-tower agreements reached in Keene and Keene Valley